Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Players take less all the time when they're older, worse players than when they signed their last contract.

The notion that we should have been throwing money at him so he didn't feel bad about taking a pay cut is ... bizarre?

It's pretty clear you just default to wearing rose-coloured glasses in Lollypop Land whenever evaluating a new move Benning has made.
He's 29...not 33....and again, most people were astonished we got him for $6M per..

Did I say anywhere he was going to be great?....or is everybody supposed to live in Negative Nelly land, and label him 'no good' coz Louie Eriksson.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
At least with gardiner you do get production. Just put up with his fk ups. Myers just sucks.

Yeah, we don't work well with those FK ups. See Sbisa, Luca or Gudbranson, Erik or Pouliot, Derrick. Far from being forgiven, even when they produce they've been crapped on, rightly or wrongly.

Myers is already being hated on for his (much lower instances of, versus Gardiner) screw ups for his price. Gardiner wouldn't last out here.

Plus we don't have the Leafs offensive depth.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Yeah, we don't work well with those FK ups. See Sbisa, Luca or Gudbranson, Erik or Pouliot, Derrick. Far from being forgiven, even when they produce they've been crapped on, rightly or wrongly.

Myers is already being hated on for his (much lower instances of, versus Gardiner) screw ups for his price. Gardiner wouldn't last out here.

Plus we don't have the Leafs offensive depth.
If he lasted in Toronto he can last anywhere. Gardener was always good before Toronto was good he’s been here for a while.

He would be your best dman right away.

None of those guys ever produced like gardener.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's 29...not 33....and again, most people were astonished we got him for $6M per..

Did I say anywhere he was going to be great?....or is everybody supposed to live in Negative Nelly land, and label him 'no good' coz Louie Eriksson.

Have you ever noticed a pattern that you initially love every single move Benning makes, most people criticize it, you call them negative, and then the move turns out badly? Over and over and over again?

Being realistic isn’t negativity.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have you ever noticed a pattern that you initially love every single move Benning makes, most people criticize it, you call them negative, and then the move turns out badly? Over and over and over again?

Ive been on this site since 2017..and ..yeah..I've liked most of Bennings deals since then.

Bennings bad deals were mostly done in the first 2 years..

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Sometimes negativity is warranted. Every ounce of negativity that has preceded the last dour seasons has been justified.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Astonished? Sure, I'm astonished the Canucks committed to a $6M AAV for a guy like Myers.

I'm just not astonished for the reasons you think I should be astonished.

Reactions: timw33

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
People don't kid yourselves Myers would have gotten more elsewhere. He's a mobile RHD that isn't a smurf and can play PP. 29 year old guys that can do that can ask for a lot more and usually do. I mean come on who would you rather have for the dollars that were given and would have actually signed?? Benning is an idiot with a lot of his moves but this off season was probably his best. I know the bar is extremely low for him but we all thought he was gonna do a lot worse in the deals then he actually did for once. I'm happy with Myers and Ferland now if we could get rid of Loui and Sutter then I'd actually jump for joy.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Again, why not wait a year and take a real home run swing at someone who actually deserves big money?

The issue is that Myers has had question marks the last couple of years. Why sign him when you have EP/Hughes up in two years and no cap relief for guys like Loui?

Even waiting one year gives you a clearer picture of where the team is and lets you plan things out just a season ahead of having to pay EP. Now instead we are locked in and have to scramble to both pay EP and replace the players whose contracts expire to make the cap space for EP...which is only an issue because we are up against the cap for no reason.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
People don't kid yourselves Myers would have gotten more elsewhere. He's a mobile RHD that isn't a smurf and can play PP. 29 year old guys that can do that can ask for a lot more and usually do. I mean come on who would you rather have for the dollars that were given and would have actually signed?? Benning is an idiot with a lot of his moves but this off season was probably his best. I know the bar is extremely low for him but we all thought he was gonna do a lot worse in the deals then he actually did for once. I'm happy with Myers and Ferland now if we could get rid of Loui and Sutter then I'd actually jump for joy.

No team team was going to more for a #4 that needs to be sheltered. If a team was willing to pay more, his agent would of used that as leverage to push up the price. He was never going to get 7 years/7-8 million.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm looking forward to Myers simply because our defense has been woeful for a very long time and adding a defenseman of Myers caliber simply cannot hurt. I also really like the size he brings as our backend has been undersized forever, I'd argue since Ohlund left. I realize he isn't a physical or intimidating player but just having a big body on our blueline should be a nice a positive. I'll admit I haven't watched Myers up close since his Buffalo days but the Myers and Ferland signings both seem like big positives for the team.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No team team was going to more for a #4 that needs to be sheltered. If a team was willing to pay more, his agent would of used that as leverage to push up the price. He was never going to get 7 years/7-8 million.
33 year old Stralman got 5.5 per for 3 years and there was nobody else worth signing to compare. Gardiner possibly but he hasn't signed yet. Stralman is not a top pairing guy either yet he only got .5 per less and is 4 years older not to mention is all defense no offense. Sure Myers isn't the best dman but he's far from the worst at a position of need for us. He was a solid signing for us and the term and length are fine to me.

PS.

I agree nobody was giving him 7-7/8 but with Benning you never know.

Reactions: sting101

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Speaking of kidding yourself, no UFA is taking a discount to sign in Vancouver unless they are hometown kids and even that is rare. We’re a crap team. Players sign here for the money and term.

Reactions: tyhee

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm looking forward to Myers simply because our defense has been woeful for a very long time and adding a defenseman of Myers caliber simply cannot hurt. I also really like the size he brings as our backend has been undersized forever, I'd argue since Ohlund left. I realize he isn't a physical or intimidating player but just having a big body on our blueline should be a nice a positive. I'll admit I haven't watched Myers up close since his Buffalo days but the Myers and Ferland signings both seem like big positives for the team.

I understand and hope for this but my fear is that it's going to be a big d-man who doesn't play big. What's the point then? Also not like we haven't been there and done that before.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I understand and hope for this but my fear is that it's going to be a big d-man who doesn't play big. What's the point then? Also not like we haven't been there and done that before.

I'm thinking more about the reach and his ability to take up space in the defensive zone. I could be completely wrong but one of the main things I've hated since Nonis-era is just how undersized our defense has always been. The Canucks top four just doesn't take up a lot of space in the defensive zone. I realize Gudbranson was supposed to address this but with his lack of mobility and pregnant moose hormones, that was limited. Myers on paper does address a lot of things this blueline was lacking and local boy doesn't hurt.

Reactions: sting101

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Speaking of kidding yourself, no UFA is taking a discount to sign in Vancouver unless they are hometown kids and even that is rare. We’re a crap team. Players sign here for the money and term.
Well I guess he did give a home town discount then as he played junior in Kelowna and lives there in the off season. He grew up in Calgary as well even though was born in Texas. You might think it's a crap team but the city itself is quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad