Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
At least with gardiner you do get production. Just put up with his fk ups. Myers just sucks.
bad take

Myers has 265 career pts 81 on the PP
Gardiner has 245. 73 on the PP
Same age. Only 84 extra games played by Myers (1 season)....so basically
One plays a more desirable position
Both have inconsistent defensive games.

Maybe the problem is Gardiner wanted more money and term (than Myers) thinking he was a superior asset and just doesn't have the market of teams interested in a guy with health problems making huge money as a second tier defenseman that plays iffy defense on the left side.

Hence he is still unsigned

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
bad take

Myers has 265 career pts 81 on the PP
Gardiner has 245. 73 on the PP
Same age. Only 84 extra games played by Myers (1 season)....so basically
One plays a more desirable position
Both have inconsistent defensive games.

Maybe the problem is Gardiner wanted more money and term (than Myers) thinking he was a superior asset and just doesn't have the market of teams interested in a guy with health problems making huge money as a second tier defenseman that plays iffy defense on the left side.

Hence he is still unsigned

Speaking of bad takes ...

Not really sure what points Myers scored in 2009 have to do with right now.

Gardiner has outscored Myers by 75% over the past two years - 35 ES points/82 GP vs. 20/82. Gardiner is on a different planet from Myers as a transition defender.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Gardiner is easily a better player he can be an effective play driver in a sheltered role.

Since Toronto has been a good team Gardiner’s “defensive numbers” and defensive results have actually been extremely good.

He’s among the best transitional defenders in the entire NHL and is unquestionably better offensively than Myers.

Objectively Gardiner is better at hockey but some people have an obsession with big defenders that aren’t physical or good defensively.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Speaking of bad takes ...

Not really sure what points Myers scored in 2009 have to do with right now.

Gardiner has outscored Myers by 75% over the past two years - 35 ES points/82 GP vs. 20/82. Gardiner is on a different planet from Myers as a transition defender.
Those were career stats.... but nice try.

If were cherry picking i choose to delete the 17/18 anomoly where Gardiner had 52pts lol

12 ES P1 pts last year each. 5 more on average than Myers the last 3 seasons...big deal.
Myers the last 2 years has scored 15 goals to Gardiners 8

and since when did PP pts not matter. Its not like Tanev Gudbranson Hutton Pouliot or Del Zotto could help us there

That extra 5pts a year sure sets him apart especially when he played some piss poor defense in the playoffs when Toronto needed him the most. Unlike Myers who was really good in the playoffs for Winnipeg. Yes different planet. Planet choker

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Myers is first among NHL defencemen in one category on the power play: primary assists, the pass (or shot and a rebound) that leads directly to a goal. In other words, if you’re looking for someone on the power play to set up your snipers — say, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson — Myers might be your best bet.
NHL Defencemen at 5-on-4 from 2017-2019
PlayerTOIGoals/60First Assists/60Points/60
Tyler Myers259.050.693.245.33
Victor Hedman472.750.513.176.47
Torey Krug473.430.893.176.21
John Carlson610.700.593.145.60
Keith Yandle539.280.563.005.45
Alexander Edler361.520.832.824.48
Rasmus Ristolainen471.750.252.674.58
Will Butcher408.800.442.644.84
Morgan Rielly365.600.662.637.22
Erik Gustafsson276.170.652.614.35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

If were cherry picking i choose to delete the 17/18 anomoly where Gardiner had 52pts lol

12 ES P1 pts last year each. 5 more on average than Myers the last 3 seasons...big deal.

and since when did PP pts not matter. Its not like Tanev Gudbranson Hutton Pouliot or Del Zotto could help us there

That extra 5pts a year sure sets him apart especially when he played some piss poor defense in the playoffs when Toronto needed him the most. Unlike Myers who was really good in the playoffs for Winnipeg. Yes different planet. Planet choker
Myers career stats looks comparable to Gardiner only because of his 48 pt rookie season. Since then Myers has been a 30 pt defender. Gardiner has scored at at least 0,5 pts / game the last 3 years, Myers hasn't scored that since his rookie season. Gardiner is a much better producer now.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Career stats are completely f'ing pointless when they're driven by career years from 2009.

Gardiner has been one of the top few ES play-drivers in the NHL from the blueline in the past couple years. 35 ES points/82 GP is exceptional and only the Burnses and Karlssons of the world are ahead of him. He might not be great defensively but he is an elite transition defender.

Myers isn't great defensively and is ... an OK transition defender.

PP skills don't particularly matter here for Myers when he'll be the 3rd option behind Edler and Hughes. And if Myers is taking away PP minutes from Hughes ... that's not good.

Reactions: timw33

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Myers career stats looks comparable to Gardiner only because of his 48 pt rookie season. Since then Myers has been a 30 pt defender. Gardiner has scored at at least 0,5 pts / game the last 3 years, Myers hasn't scored that since his rookie season. Gardiner is a much better producer now.
Myers 32pts per 82 without the 09 season
Gardiner 33.7 pts per 82 removing the 17/18 anomaly.

What are we even arguing here? Gardiner is slightly better at offense on paper? Ok?

In the end they are same age, relatively the same production, both have defensive gaffs more than top defensive performers, one has been better in the playoffs than the other and plays the very desirable and sought after right side.

I would say on the whole side by side Gardiner puts up better numbers and has been better recently. Not by a lot but Jake also has a back ailment of major concern and plays left side defense a position with way less demand and value.
Look at us for instance re: top4...we have Hughes Juolevi Edler on the left side and what exactly on the right? The carcass of Chris Tanev.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Myers 32pts per 82 without the 09 season
Gardiner 33.7 pts per 82 removing the 17/18 anomaly.

What are we even arguing here? Gardiner is slightly better at offense on paper? Ok?

In the end they are same age, relatively the same production, both have defensive gaffs more than top defensive performers, one has been better in the playoffs than the other and plays the very desirable and sought after right side.

I would say on the whole side by side Gardiner puts up better numbers and has been better recently. Not by a lot but Jake also has a back ailment of major concern and plays left side defense a position with way less demand and value.
Look at us for instance re: top4...we have Hughes Juolevi Edler on the left side and what exactly on the right? The carcass of Chris Tanev.

Jesus Christ.

Stuff that happened 10 years ago doesn't matter. As someone said just above, Dion Phaneuf grades out above both if you take careers, or careers with an outlier removed.

In the past 2-3 years, Gardiner has absolutely destroyed Myers as an ES transition defender. Like, outscored him by 75%. When we're looking at recent performance and projecting it forward, this isn't close.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gardiner has likely injury issues which make any comparison a moot point. With how our present guys get injured, take the healthier player.

Gardiner, the guy who hasn't missed more than 3 games in the 5 seasons before his injury this past year (28 games missed in last 6 years) vs Myers who has missed 111GP in the last 6 seasons?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Gardiner, the guy who hasn't missed more than 3 games in the 5 seasons before his injury this past year (28 games missed in last 6 years) vs Myers who has missed 111GP in the last 6 seasons?
I just assumed it's one of the major reasons Gardiner hasn't signed yet? Doesn't he have a hurt back? Those don't tend to heal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I just assumed it's one of the major reasons Gardiner hasn't signed yet? Doesn't he have a hurt back? Those don't tend to heal.

It's possible, but I think he may have misread the market by not signing on day 1 of FA this year. Pretty much every team that has space to sign him is saving that room for their one critical RFA signing, and that means he has to wait to see if anyone has enough room leftover to get a long term deal. I think he might have to take a one year deal somewhere he can get lots of PP time and then go to market again (and sign on July 1st).

Reactions: Hit the post

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's possible, but I think he may have misread the market by not signing on day 1 of FA this year. Pretty much every team that has space to sign him is saving that room for their one critical RFA signing, and that means he has to wait to see if anyone has enough room leftover to get a long term deal. I think he might have to take a one year deal somewhere he can get lots of PP time and then go to market again (and sign on July 1st).

I think Gardiner did misread the market and or he was too choosy.

In terms of your games missed comparison, I'm not sure it's relevant to be reaching that far back. Myers was dealing with some issues that required surgery. The past two seasons he appears to have (hopefully) put his injury troubles behind him. Gardiner has dealt with back issues before and he wasn't 100% to end the season. His health is a question mark and maybe there is something there that scared off some teams. The Canucks apparently had their doctors go through Ferland's medicals before signing him. I wouldn't be surprised if a team wanted to have a look at his back before making a long-term $$$ offer.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So if Gardiner is better than Myers, even if no one is counting that as a high bar, then why have 30 other teams let him sit for so long?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I bet if we hadn't signed Myers quickly he would be cooling his jets just like Gardiner. Salary cap is flat, RFA's are expensive and there are lots of them, and those two together aren't the greatest UFA crop of d-men.

It's a bit of a unique situation this summer IMO.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So if Gardiner is better than Myers, even if no one is counting that as a high bar, then why have 30 other teams let him sit for so long?

Ah the classic appeal to authority argument.

In the summer of 2016 Eriksson, Okposo, Lucic and Backes were all signed to bloated contracts on July 1st, where as Jonathan Marchessault was a late summer signing.

Point is GM’s are f***img stupid.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

With the critical RFAs unsigned and their salary ranges potentially higher than expected...almost no one has cap space to pay him a reasonable rate.

Just because the Canucks blew their brains out on July 1 and overpaid for Myers (oh but reports said he'd be $7-8MM so this is actually good!!!) doesn't mean Tyler Myers is better than Gardiner. But he was drafted higher, has a calder (10 years ago), and is taller, so here we are.

Reactions: Pavel96

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Gardiner wouldn't have signed here, let alone sign here for 5 years at 6 million each. so we can now stop the "I would have used that money to sign Gardiner instead, Benning is a dummy" b.s

Reactions: Cogburn

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jesus Christ.

Stuff that happened 10 years ago doesn't matter. As someone said just above, Dion Phaneuf grades out above both if you take careers, or careers with an outlier removed.

In the past 2-3 years, Gardiner has absolutely destroyed Myers as an ES transition defender. Like, outscored him by 75%. When we're looking at recent performance and projecting it forward, this isn't close.
THEY ARE THE SAME AGE?????

Phaneuf is 34yrs old. Who cares about Phaneuf? it is not relevant to this discussion.

I already omitted the one outlier in Myers rookie year and also proposed you do the same when you take Gardiners career and his one outlier in 2017/18 but i doubt you will because outside of that season you have extremely similar offensive results. Not only that why would you only use 5v5 and not shorthanded or other even strength situations.
This is both players over the last 300ish games all situations except PP.

Tyler Myers.......317gp.....27g.....52a....79p......52P1 pts
Jake Gardiner...305gp.....20g....78a...98pts....62P1 pts

So in the last 300 games (basically 4 yrs) you have a difference outside of the PP of 25 pts to 20pts for Gardiner and a P1 pt difference of an extra 2.5 pts per season...As i said that is not a different planet is not destroying Myers and is quite similar.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Yes they are the same age, but the last three years Gardiner ha outproduced Myers significantly.

Myers has played 173 games and has 72 points, for 0,41 pts/game
Gardiner has played 226 games and have 129 points, for 0,57 pts/game

Myers has not been close to Gardiner offensively. Stop with this madness. Myers has one career season with 0,5 pts/game which was 10 years ago, Gardiner has 3 straight. To say that Gardiner isn't a better player now is just BS

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
TIL Bobby Ryan is considered to be a 35 goal scorer today because he achieved that mark 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad