Player Discussion Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV) | Part 2

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The quote from a verifiable source absolutely will be acknowledged. Without question.

Last, a quote from another poster, without a supporting link from a verifiable source, is not in itself a source.

And if there hypothetically was another team offering a 1st round pick to help Tampa out of a cap crunch.....LET THEM. It doesn't justify overpaying when there was a market inefficiency to take advantage of and get a bargain price on a player.

Still just galling for a bottom-10 team to be giving up potential lottery picks, especially when it's now known that Nyqvist would have loved to come here and play with Pettersson...without costing a 1st round round pick and 70th overall. Or hell, Erik Haula went for nothing and has shown an ability to produce at a very solid clip on a cheap contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oof. Just saw the cap hit for Gardiner. What else is there to say, but "oof"?

The Canucks had tunnel vision on Myers for months, and couldn't help themselves on opening day. Had they just waited, they could've saved themselves a $6 million cap hit. Either Myers signs a (possibly) bad contract elsewhere, or the Canucks manage to lower his demands to something resembling market value as free agency passes. Both are highly preferable than to signing Myers to a bad contract.

If Gardiner -- a better player than Myers -- is a $4.05 million/season cap hit, there's no way Myers is anything north of that. Myer's cap hit must be less than that: $3.50-$4.00 million/season. Wait to see what the top players will get early/mid-way in free agency, and then negotiate your target player's salary based on that.

This is hair-pullingly frustrating! Jim Benning keeps repeating the same mistakes, over and over.
Obviously,before your rant.....you were misinformed that that Gardiner is LHD...we signed Edler for that role (plus we have Hughes duplicating the role of which Gardiner would have)....Myers is a RHD.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawrence

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
And if there hypothetically was another team offering a 1st round pick to help Tampa out of a cap crunch.....LET THEM. It doesn't justify overpaying when there was a market inefficiency to take advantage of and get a bargain price on a player.

I thought the Miller trade was awful. Agree you don't match that deal.

But how do you get a bargain price when another team has already offered a 1st?

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018

The Canucks had tunnel vision on Myers for months, and couldn't help themselves on opening day. Had they just waited, they could've saved themselves a $6 million cap hit. Either Myers signs a (possibly) bad contract elsewhere, or the Canucks manage to lower his demands to something resembling market value as free agency passes. Both are highly preferable than to signing Myers to a bad contract.

If Gardiner -- a better player than Myers -- is a $4.05 million/season cap hit, there's no way Myers is anything north of that. Myer's cap hit must be less than that: $3.50-$4.00 million/season. Wait to see what the top players will get early/mid-way in free agency, and then negotiate your target player's salary based on that.

This is hair-pullingly frustrating! Jim Benning keeps repeating the same mistakes, over and over.
We probably would have lost myers to another team, but I agree. Smaller cap hit, less term, for a younger and better player is tough pill to swallow. I would have preferred Gardiner but he's also a left handed, I'm assuming benning wanted a right handed dman.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Myers would look solid on the Canes given their fairly deep blueline (granted not at 6 million; I'm just talking about the player). Much like Gardiner who tended for fold under pressure in the post-season, he won't have that problem as the Canes blueline will better insulate him.

Consequently, I'm not sure Gardiner would look great playing for us; though @ a 4.05 million cap hit with a shorter duration contract...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Not spending 3 hours trying to find a quote, only to have it be ignored if I can track it down.

A few weeks back when I said the Islanders offered a 1st rd pick for JT Miller at the draft there were 10 people calling BS and clamouring for a source. Another poster eventually spoke up that the source was legit. The people clamouring for the source never said another word in the thread and refused to acknowledge it.

I don't know about this Yzerman/Myers thing, but I do seem to have some recollection of the NYI/Miller thing. I think it was mentioned on Chiclets but not 100% sure.

Yeah,...not even remotely the same kind of player.

Definitely. Dzingel can play all 3 forward positions and is a swiss army knife player who can comfortably slide into spot within the Top-9, has produced at a fantastic rate at even strength (20 ESG/year) for the last 3 seasons, and has the cheaper contract that ends when we need to allocate top dollar to Petersson and Hughes.

I'd rather have Ferland. We need a strong PWF type more than an army knife type. We just traded for Pearson & we're good on centers. Not totally sold on Dzingel's production and apparently neither are GM's considering what he signed for. Plus Ferland is only a few 100k more.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Garrison and Bieksa were actually playing those minutes WELL, unlike Gudbranson. And for an extended period of time, unlike Gudbranson.

Bieksa played on the top shutdown pairing of a team that won back-to-back President's Trophies. He was clearly a very good #2 defender for that stretch. Prior to that, he had some stretches where he was and some where he wasn't - and certainly the multiple Achilles injuries played into that.

Garrison was a 2-3 at his peak.

Like I said, Malik was very good alongside Jovo too. I don't go around calling him a first pairing defenseman.

Was Garrison signed to be a top pairing defenseman? Given that the Canucks were paying Hamhuis and Bieksa to be first pairing Dmen, the logical answer is that Garrison was paid to be a 2nd pairing defenseman no?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Like I said, Malik was very good alongside Jovo too. I don't go around calling him a first pairing defenseman.
I doubt people would give two ****'s about signing Myers if he was paid what Malik was at the time.

edit: I just looked it up; in terms of icetime per game; Malik ranked FIFTH on the Canucks defenders in 2002/03 & 2003/04.;)

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I don't know about this Yzerman/Myers thing, but I do seem to have some recollection of the NYI/Miller thing. I think it was mentioned on Chiclets but not 100% sure.

Yup, it was on spittin' chicklets. The best behind the scenes hockey stories come out of there. More than every other media outlet combined. If you're not listening, you're missing out.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Obviously ,there were concerns about Gardiners back....which affected his salary and term...JD Burke is such a doofus.

Some people don't seem to grasp the complete dearth of right shot defensmen compared to left shot guys and how it impacts the market. Comparing right defense to left defense is like comparing centremen to wingers. Right shots are in much higher demand and more scarce than left shot dmen.

Look at the price Philly paid for a 32 year old Justin Braun
A crappy Cody Ceci was given $4.5mil by a management team consideed to be very shrewd
A 32 year old Anton Stralman with major durability concerns garnered 3 years at $5.5mil
Ottawa took on a massive contract for a right shot disappointment in Zaitsev
Steve Yzerman tried to get out ahead of the issue and had everyone a gasp for taking a big right shot so high in the draft
John Chayka had Victor Soderstrom rated what, 3rd on his draft board, then paid heavily to move up to take him higher than he was ranked

If you're comparing right shot dmen to left shot guys straight across, you're doing it wrong. Still amazes me how so many haven't clued in yet. And this isn't even a defense of the Myers deal. His contract was too high.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Canuck709

Sep 21, 2015
Myers>>>Gardiner. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not watched much nhl hockey. SAD.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad