Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Ian Cole to 1-Year, $3M Deal

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I dont even understand why he need to do this. Either the canucks organization officially retire 28, if not then its fair game.

Let the crybabies cry.
Canucks did the same thing with number 11 and Maki until Messier forced the issue.

Its a way to repsect and honour players who have passed while with the team.

You sound like the crybaby.

Reactions: Huggy43

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Yes, he was used more and played in more games than any other Arizona d man.
Arizona also had a #1C flanked by first line wingers and a #1 Goalie. Their second line included a #2C and 2 2nd line wingers. Now that I think about it, every team in the league already has the #1C, #1D and #1 Goalie trifecta universally regarded as the only way to win a cup (obviously excluding all other possible team compositions that win cups).

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
How the team didn't bring this up with him first is ridiculous. It shouldn't be on Cole to know the history behind the number & why no one on the team has worn it since.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
no. 28 has no real significance. This is so faux-outrage.
When Cole's number was announced you could see this coming a mile away, but I agree with the above. I get why there is some bad juju over taking the number, but I never actually saw it as "his number" anyway as I assumed he would take a single-digit one the moment it was available. Hallowing 28 feels a bit like "unofficially retiring" a camp number.

It's the fact that no one else has worn it that makes it iffy, though. It's kind of like putting up a national flag or adding national anthems to something... once you do it, you will get complaints if you try to roll it back. If someone else had taken 28 right away I don't know that anyone would have even objected, but now that the precedent is there...

All that said, the people who fire back with "others have worn #38 since Demitra!"... uh yeah, he wasn't a Canuck when his tragedy came. No one is claiming to take every number of every individual who ever played for the Canucks out of circulation when they pass. (Rick Rypien had signed with Winnipeg but he never played for them, so his last games had still come as a Canuck. Whereas Demitra had been playing in the KHL).

- Also regarding your comment that Carolina 86'd brown an hour later. It was actually 2 YEARS later... but you know, facts right? (Canucks traded brown to Hartford Dec 19, 1995. Toronto acquired him Jan 2, 1998.
The reference was to the Hurricanes trading Brown to Toronto the day before they acquired McLean. (Brown shipped off for nothing on Jan. 2, then McLean brought in Jan. 3, 1998).

I can't say anything about whether there is any truth to the original rumors, but that sequence of events was well-observed at the time.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He also listed the upside scenarios. Drance's takes are generally correct. And his description and usage of probabilities for varying scenarios is far more insightful than most MSM types and certainly yourself.

I agree Cole was a top-four guy by TOI last year. But the age is a risk and the ice-time trended down into the playoffs. Soucy has never played a real top-four role with some kind of higher difficulty minutes. Again, there are downside scenarios.

And again, as I said, the blueline is definitely upgraded. But the bar was starting on the floor, as the defense group was putrid last season. The bigger picture issue for me is that they're still going into a must-make-playoffs season with a below-average blueline.
I don’t have an issue with Drance I just find him annoying. He just isn’t creative or insightful. it is interesting that a lot of his buzz words are parroted on these boards. Absolutely none are his original ideas. He is fine for fans that are new to the game and enjoy flaccid narratives and repetitive garbage. I think it’s great that he is helping you learn the game better.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
How the team didn't bring this up with him first is ridiculous. It shouldn't be on Cole to know the history behind the number & why no one on the team has worn it since.

Don't blame Cole. Blame our shitty ownership for even letting this get announced. Complete lack of knowledge or care towards the market sympathies and history.

This might have been a non-issue had the whole #11 thing not happened. And maybe it isn't that big a deal to some, but to me, to make a whole hullabaloo about not wearing #28 originally, then to go back on it the way they did...shit, man. When it was announced they should have made a statement about how they asked Bourdon's family, acknowledged its history, instead it just looks like they tried to slip it past casually.

Hell, most fans were more concerned about Blueger wearing #53 as if some scrub back in '98 asked for #16. :laugh: That either makes me feel old, or people really don't have their priorities right.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don’t have an issue with Drance I just find him annoying. He just isn’t creative or insightful. it is interesting that a lot of his buzz words are parroted on these boards. Absolutely none are his original ideas. He is fine for fans that are new to the game and enjoy flaccid narratives and repetitive garbage. I think it’s great that he is helping you learn the game better.
From what anyone can read of your posts, you are certainly the one that needs to learn the game better. Buddy you thought OEL was gonna be the Canucks' top defenseman. Really brilliant analysis.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.46.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 11.46.43 PM.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 5

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don't blame Cole. Blame our shitty ownership for even letting this get announced. Complete lack of knowledge or care towards the market sympathies and history.

Why blame ownership? Are they responsible for vetting jersey announcements?

I would assume the standard practice is for someone from hockey operations to alert the communications/PR team to make the announcements. While somebody should have caught it and let management know, I would assume it isn't the communications/PR team's job to second guess the hockey operations department.

By the way, Patrick Wiercioch wore #28 when he could and was given #90 when he was wearing a Canucks jersey. Wiercioch didn't have the same status as Cole does, but it's clear that the Canucks #28 jersey wasn't available to Wiercioch.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You thought Jim Benning was a good GM

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Arizona also had a #1C flanked by first line wingers and a #1 Goalie. Their second line included a #2C and 2 2nd line wingers. Now that I think about it, every team in the league already has the #1C, #1D and #1 Goalie trifecta universally regarded as the only way to win a cup (obviously excluding all other possible team compositions that win cups).
Considering there are only 2 guys on that team that scored over 50 points. Your definition of 1st line wingers and 2nd line wingers are quite questionable. I mean if you lower the bar, every team technically has every 1st line and 2nd line filled up.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I am so disgusted by this Cole jersey number selection

Goldobin was a legend and to take his number without his family’s permission is disrespectful and tone deaf. Shame on the Cole and shame on the Canucks.

RIP Goldy ….. wait? ……he is alive ?????

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why blame ownership? Are they responsible for vetting jersey announcements?

I would assume the standard practice is for someone from hockey operations to alert the communications/PR team to make the announcements. While somebody should have caught it and let management know, I would assume it isn't the communications/PR team's job to second guess the hockey operations department.

By the way, Patrick Wiercioch wore #28 when he could and was given #90 when he was wearing a Canucks jersey. Wiercioch didn't have the same status as Cole does, but it's clear that the Canucks #28 jersey wasn't available to Wiercioch.

Wiercoch just had a camp number, though, didn't he?

Reactions: Vector

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
From what anyone can read of your posts, you are certainly the one that needs to learn the game better. Buddy you thought OEL was gonna be the Canucks' top defenseman. Really brilliant analysis.
Really? We’re doing “gotcha” moments to old timers now?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Shouldn't he have arrived at #95 then?

But also, i totally forgot he was ever even a thing with the Canucks. Anyway...

Apparently Lightning McQueen is #95 and his son wouldn't let him take the number lol.

Anyways, the point is that Wierioch wanted #28 and was at least made aware of Luc Bourdon having worn #28 and avoided this whole Ian Cole incident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad