Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Ian Cole to 1-Year, $3M Deal

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Apparently Lightning McQueen is #95 and his son wouldn't let him take the number lol.

Anyways, the point is that Wierioch wanted #28 and was at least made aware of Luc Bourdon having worn #28 and avoided this whole Ian Cole incident.

Did Lightning McQueen die in a tragic motor vehicle accident as well?

I haven't actually really watched the movies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Did Lightning McQueen die in a tragic motor vehicle accident as well?

I haven't actually really watched the movies.

I haven't watched the movies either. I took it as his son not wanting his dad to wear the number of his favourite pixar character?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Apparently Lightning McQueen is #95 and his son wouldn't let him take the number lol.

Anyways, the point is that Wierioch wanted #28 and was at least made aware of Luc Bourdon having worn #28 and avoided this whole Ian Cole incident.

Not to nitpick, but he says that he was aware of the Bourdon issue from when he was a kid rather than that the team said anything. I'm curious if he just saved them from themselves.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
First of all it’s a pretty subjective definition but for me there are only a handful of players who I’d describe as such. Basically an exceptional impact at both ends of the ice - Hughes defence has improved dramatically but I wouldn’t describe him as an exceptional defender due to not being a great pk’er and a general inability to box opposing forwards out.

:sarcasm::naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Hoglander

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Considering there are only 2 guys on that team that scored over 50 points. Your definition of 1st line wingers and 2nd line wingers are quite questionable. I mean if you lower the bar, every team technically has every 1st line and 2nd line filled up.
That was actually exactly what I was doing. I forgot to install the sarcasm module properly.

Reactions: arttk

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
c'mon guys the marketing staff making social media posts aren't running their tweets by the aquilini family for approval lol

it's some slight organizational dysfunction that was rectified.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
First of all, I don't think the number should be retired despite the horrible incident. Even if the number was unofficial retired, any company and any individual could make a mistake and have a communication problem. No big deal.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
First of all it’s a pretty subjective definition but for me there are only a handful of players who I’d describe as such. Basically an exceptional impact at both ends of the ice - Hughes defence has improved dramatically but I wouldn’t describe him as an exceptional defender due to not being a great pk’er and a general inability to box opposing forwards out.

Agreed. #1 should be able to handle the best offensive players in the league. Hughes can... ...sometimes, under the right circumstances. In reverse, a dman with exceptional d but no offense isn't a number one either by my definition. Should be able to put it in the net too.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Agreed. #1 should be able to handle the best offensive players in the league. Hughes can... ...sometimes, under the right circumstances.
Outside of a select few like Fox and Mcavoy, most of the "1D" play under these circumstances, whether in secondary matchup roles at ES or on the PK.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I only remember Wiercioch because of how the Canucks Army guys were :eek::eek::eek::eek:ing their pants that he was a 'home run' acquisition because he had great advanced stats ... that were generated in 70% o-zone starts next to Erik Karlsson.

He's not even the most egregious example of "scrub who got NHL paychecks because he happened to share icetime with Erik Karlsson" ... Kyle Turris is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not to nitpick, but he says that he was aware of the Bourdon issue from when he was a kid rather than that the team said anything. I'm curious if he just saved them from themselves.

Everyone in hockey was aware of Bourdon's passing.

If we are to nitpick, Bourdon died less than a month before Wiercioch was drafted so Wiercioch wasn't a kid growing up in Burnaby anymore at the time. Also, Cole played with one of Bourdon's best friends in Letang.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Everyone in hockey was aware of Bourdon's passing.

If we are to nitpick, Bourdon died less than a month before Wiercioch was drafted so Wiercioch wasn't a kid growing up in Burnaby anymore at the time. Also, Cole played with one of Bourdon's best friends in Letang.

Okay. The thing about him following it as a kid growing up is literally his own words, so you'll have to argue with him about that. All I'm saying is that nowhere in there does it specify that the team stopped him from wearing 28.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Okay. The thing about him following it as a kid growing up is literally his own words, so you'll have to argue with him about that. All I'm saying is that nowhere in there does it specify that the team stopped him from wearing 28.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I took the explanation as a PR statement. He didn't need to say anything about it being "wrong" to wear #28. I'm just pointing out that he clearly wasn't a kid. At the end of the day there was no announcement that Wiercoch would wear #28. If you read Cole's statement, he doesn't say the team stopped him or discouraged him from wearing Bourdon's number either.

Anyhow, my original comment was in the context of ownership being blamed for this when I can't imagine that to be ownership's job to vet jersey selection and announcements. Wiercoch was an example of a player who previously wore 28 who didn't have the team announce that he would be wearing #28. If you choose to believe that was all Wiercoch's doing that's fine.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
We should trade for him.

Then we have 2 no.1 d men.
Now that is not how it works. One of them would move down from another. You should really consider this. 334 defensemen played at least 5 minutes in the regular season last year. Your top 64 in league wide ice time would be typical first pairing guys. 65-128 2nd pair guys. and 129- 162 third pair guys. Players 165th- 334 would be your typical 7th d man or worse. So if a player shows up in the game day thread as third pair but plays 24 minutes he isn't really a third pair guy.

• Wow
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Now that is not how it works. One of them would move down from another. You should really consider this. 334 defensemen played at least 5 minutes in the regular season last year. Your top 64 in league wide ice time would be typical first pairing guys. 65-128 2nd pair guys. and 129- 162 third pair guys. Players 165th- 334 would be your typical 7th d man or worse. So if a player shows up in the game day thread as third pair but plays 24 minutes he isn't really a third pair guy.
So we actually bought out a no.3 NHL Dman this offseason?!

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
So we actually bought out a no.3 NHL Dman this offseason?!
Well OEL was more like a 2nd pairing guy his last 3 seasons base on his average TOI. His minus 24 is why he was bought out and guys like Cole and Soucy brought in. You want to win games? You replace minus guys for plus guys.

• Wow
Reactions: Nucker101

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I was quite pleased with the signing of Ian Cole on Canada Day. The Canucks needed any defensive defensemen that they could get, and Ian Cole was one of the better ones available on July 1st. Cole brings size, winning experience, PK ability and character to a defensive that is lacking a bit of everything. Cole's minute munching and stay at home defensive abilities will compliment Quinn Hughes nicely. It will allow Hughes to wander a bit, and be a bit more creative offensively, without the worry of being stranded. Cole vastly improves our penalty killing aswell, a area that had been brutal for quite sometime.

I really like this signing by Allvin. A one year show me deal was the perfect way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad