Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tanev was signed with very little fanfare as well - he was not one of the top ranked NCAA free agents that year IIRC. He did apparently have a growth spurt.

Hard to understate just how successful of a signing that was.

Most of the high profile ones fizzle out and never come close to meeting expectations.

Anyone remember who that uber-hyped swedish kid was that Gillis was after before he got fired? We lost him after that and I think he had a hat-trick in his first NHL game or something and then disappeared not long after.

Fabian Brunnstrom, I believe.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Tanev was signed with very little fanfare as well - he was not one of the top ranked NCAA free agents that year IIRC. He did apparently have a growth spurt.

Most of the high profile ones fizzle out and never come close to meeting expectations.

Anyone remember who that uber-hyped swedish kid was that Gillis was after before he got fired? We lost him after that and I think he had a hat-trick in his first NHL game or something and then disappeared not long after.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Sometimes you'll find a gem, and even if he's just a depth guy in Utica, that's some value.

Fabian Brunnstrom, signed with the Stars.

With the Teves deal and this one, I like that they are using the 1 year ELC to get them into the organization instead of waiting till the Summer.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
That's exactly what I was getting at. Sometimes you'll find a gem, and even if he's just a depth guy in Utica, that's some value.

With the Teves deal and this one, I like that they are using the 1 year ELC to get them into the organization instead of waiting till the Summer.

I see it as an advantage in some circumstances in the that you can dump them after 1 year and move on if they look poor.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

I think that you are thinking of Fabian Brunnstrom, and that was Nonis that hyped him up to distract attention from our disastrous 2007-2008 season. It didn't work, Gillis got hired after that.

Reactions: Indiana and Momesso

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
...What I’m worried about is the mass of players that are near NHL ready being signed. There’s gonna be a full AHL squad of unhappy defenders that think they could be playing in the NHL next year.

I'm often not sure when people are being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, I think the Canucks' or Comets' management, or both, have work to do to have a strong or deep defence group in Utica next season.

If the Canucks re-sign Edler and Schenn while letting Pouliot go as a free agent, without signing anyone else, I see the following:

Canucks:

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Hughes-Schenn
Biega

The Canucks may let Edler go in free agency or trade someone, but if that is the case they'll almost certainly be acquiring people to replace them so as to have 7 or 8 defencemen in the NHL to start the season.

Comets (in no particular order):

Sautner-Chatfield
Juolevi-Eliot (Eliot being unproven in professional hockey)
Brisebois-Rafferty (Rafferty unproven in pro hockey)
Teves (unproven as a pro)

It is possible one of these guys could start the season with the Canucks, which would mean replacing one of the players I've listed above. It's also possible Schenn starts the season in the AHL.

That's in addition to guys presently on contracts with the Comets, whether standard player contracts or tryout contracts. I can't imagine that any of the defencemen presently on Comets contracts expect to get even a single NHL game next season. Generally they'll be hoping to have AHL jobs.

I'm expecting the Comets won't re-sign Sifers (due to age) or McEneny (due to regression after multiple injuries.)

That group on right defence would be extremely weak unless Elliot and Rafferty adjust immediately and well to AHL play.

Take out three or four players due to injury and things start to look really grim.

Imo the Comets need to do more work to make their defence and that they're a long way from worrying about having defencemen in Utica that think they belong in the NHL. I hope, but without much in the way of expectations, that they do that work and have that problem. It would be a nice change from this season, the issue now being whether the Comets' defencemen belong in the ECHL, not the NHL.

Last edited:

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

Tanev was a Dave Gagner coup. He remembered Tanev as the scrawny short kid with some talent who played with his son growing up. Tanev disappeared off everyone’s radar when he was cut from his midget team because he was only 5 feet tall and smaller than everyone else on the team.

Reactions: DomY

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Brogan Rafferty already makes the Canucks 'all-time name team' if he never plays an NHL game. Canucks are are now maxed out on contracts. So clearly it was their choice not to sign Lockwood, who goes back for his senior season.

Really, I have no idea what to make of these signings. Eliot, Teves and now Rafferty.....are these guys legitimate possibilities for Utica next year, or are they just depth guys with an ECHL future?

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver

That was Fabias Brunnstrom - and it was Nonis in on him, not Gillis.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Brogan Rafferty already makes the Canucks 'all-time name team' if he never plays an NHL game. Canucks are are now maxed out on contracts. So clearly it was their choice not to sign Lockwood, who goes back for his senior season.

Really, I have no idea what to make of these signings. Eliot, Teves and now Rafferty.....are these guys legitimate possibilities for Utica next year, or are they just depth guys with an ECHL future?
Or Lockwood said no.

Eliot maybe an AHL backup or a starter in the ECHL. It is hard to say until we see the offseason moves.

Teves - AHL

Rafferty - no idea but I'd guess ECHL.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
So getting to 50 means we aren't on the Schuldt list.

I was trying to figure out the 50 contracts on capfriendly.

Forwards: 16
Defencemen: 11
Goalies: 2
Non-Roster Forwards: 9
Non-Roster Defenemen: 5
Non-Roster Goaltenders: 4 (as Dipietro is exempt)

That gets me to 47.

I assume we also include injured reserved (2 - Sutter and Dorsett) and season opening injured reserve (1 - Laplante) to get me to 50..

If the above is true and assuming we extend to our roster players (including Rafferty and Teves) except Pouliot, the contracts coming free are:

Derrick Pouliot
Tom Pyatt
Brendan Gaunce
Tanner Kero
Reid Boucher
Marek Mazanec
Michael Leighton
Derek Dorsett
Yan-Pavel Laplante

That's 41 SPC out of 50.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

Tanev is considered a late bloomer. We signed tanev when he was 20 and he was playing NHL games at 21.

This guy is turning 24 next month. And passed on by multiple NHL teams after going to their camps.

I see this as an ahl player at best

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Tanev is considered a late bloomer. We signed tanev when he was 20 and he was playing NHL games at 21.

This guy is turning 24 next month. And passed on by multiple NHL teams after going to their camps.

I see this as an ahl player at best
Seeing as the Comets are kind of thin (well actually thin everywhere in the lineup), still see this signing as a plus (though to be honest I know squat about player).

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Wasnt Gillis though, it Nonis who wanted Brunnstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad