Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, you could see he was an impact player right away in the first couple preseason games.
Certainly in the offensive zone his star status looked possible right from the get go.

The only questions were if he could put in the work to improve away from the puck and in the defensive end. As well, if he would hit the wall the back half of the year.

However it was clear he simply lives to play the game so his working on his game came naturally. And he has just got better and better. He blew through the wall.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
First off Congrats Canucks fans.

I got to see him play a lot over the last two years (CBJ top prospect Marchenko was why I watched SKA games) and he was usually the most creative on the ice. A good passer (pass first type) with good assist totals - but you have to remember that KHL secondary assists are a lot harder to get than NHL secondary assists, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pick up a few more on this side of the pond. His shot is underrated IMO. I would say that he’s not really going to be a play driver in the NHL, but is a good supporting role if you pair him with a sniper. Similar to Alex Wennberg (if he played W) but with more of a willingness to get to the net.

I think a realistic expectation would be 40-50 points if he’s in the top6. 15-25.
He certainly exceeded my expectations.

I knew his shot was underrated but I didn’t expect for him to be shooting at 27.3 percent :laugh:

Hopefully he continues to play at this high of a level, it’s good for hockey when Vancouver is good.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He certainly exceeded my expectations.

I knew his shot was underrated but I didn’t expect for him to be shooting at 27.3 percent :laugh:

Hopefully he continues to play at this high of a level, it’s good for hockey when Vancouver is good.
Yeah for sure. He’s a good candidate to fill that #1 LW role for the next 5-7 years alongside Pettersson.

I’ve been impressed with how vigorous he’s been training wise so far this off season. A lot of it is aerobic as well. One thing about him is his acceleration is a bit sluggish especially off the rush. He’s otherwise a terrific skater and has some of the best edge work I’ve seen among our forwards in a long time.

Hard to believe he scored 39 freaking goals his first year in NA. Insanely high shoooting % but he’s also a low volume shooter. He’s still got to work around his overall game, but he’s definitely part of that Pettersson/Hughes/Demko core management is building around.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The most intriguing player on the Canucks---does he build on his rookie season or fall back? If he actually improves, then the Canucks have a legit top-six winger for the longer term.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
The most intriguing player on the Canucks---does he build on his rookie season or fall back? If he actually improves, then the Canucks have a legit top-six winger for the longer term.
If he improves from last season, he's not top 6. He will be an all star.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Tochett better play Kuzmenko. That being said, hopefully Kuz trained a bit in the offseason on the defensive side of the game. Or he will be eaten alive by the coach.

I loved the energy that Tocchet brought to this team. He seems to get the most out of his players. However I did not like the treatment of Kuzmenko last season.

Love Kuz as a player, he is such a character. Always smiling, and being silly eating bananas and drinking pop on the bench. Classic.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
If Kuzmenko produces well again, this is good news. If he regresses, it is bad news.

I am convinced VanJack is an AI chatbot
I asked an actual AI chatbot how Kuzmenko could realistically improve next season, and it pointed out that he could improve by doing things one might do to improve:

“Andrei Kuzmenko could realistically improve his performance for the Vancouver Canucks by working closely with the team's coaches to enhance his hockey IQ and positional play. He could also focus on refining his skating and shooting abilities, as well as improving his defensive contributions. Engaging in rigorous off-season training, studying game footage to identify strengths and weaknesses, and building chemistry with his linemates could contribute to his growth as a player. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and adapting to feedback would be crucial for his development.”

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I asked an actual AI chatbot how Kuzmenko could realistically improve next season, and it pointed out that he could improve by doing things one might do to improve:

“Andrei Kuzmenko could realistically improve his performance for the Vancouver Canucks by working closely with the team's coaches to enhance his hockey IQ and positional play. He could also focus on refining his skating and shooting abilities, as well as improving his defensive contributions. Engaging in rigorous off-season training, studying game footage to identify strengths and weaknesses, and building chemistry with his linemates could contribute to his growth as a player. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and adapting to feedback would be crucial for his development.”
I think we're safe...for now.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

It forgot the part about fighting.

Reactions: Jyrki21

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Kuzmenko produces well again, this is good news. If he regresses, it is bad news.

I am convinced VanJack is an AI chatbot
Kuzmenko is signed to a two year contract, so the 'good news' is that if he builds on last season's point totals, he's an all-star'.

The 'bad news' is that if he becomes an 'all-star' there's no way the Canucks can afford him and he plays his way out of Vancouver like Horvat before him.

So he really is the most intriguing player on the Canucks. Best case scenario is a mild 'regression', at which point he might cost the Canucks far less to re-up in two seasons, while still being productive.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Kuzmenko is signed to a two year contract, so the 'good news' is that if he builds on last season's point totals, he's an all-star'.

The 'bad news' is that if he becomes an 'all-star' there's no way the Canucks can afford him and he plays his way out of Vancouver like Horvat before him.

So he really is the most intriguing player on the Canucks. Best case scenario is a mild 'regression', at which point he might cost the Canucks far less to re-up in two seasons, while still being productive.
He's already the Canucks' best winger. If he gets even better, you pay to move out guys if necessary to re-sign him. You don't let a player of his calibre walk or trade him as long as you have Pettersson, Hughes and Demko as your main core.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

This is almost as bad as your Vegas take.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Highly doubt he improves on last season in terms of production. Doesn’t matter how picky and efficient he is as shooter, that sh% will go down.

I also think Tocchet will have a love/hate relationship with him and he’ll spend some time in the doghouse which will cause some of the fanbase to turn on Tocchet.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Highly doubt he improves on last season in terms of production. Doesn’t matter how picky and efficient he is as shooter, that sh% will go down.

I also think Tocchet will have a love/hate relationship with him and he’ll spend some time in the doghouse which will cause some of the fanbase to turn on Tocchet.

I would bet he improves his point totals.

Last year he was moved on and off line 1 and PP1. With a stable spot next to Petterson on line 1 and 100% PP1 he will get many chances.

Kuzmenko played 16:15 a night last year - 186th amongst forwards.

For some perspective, his point totals place him right in between Ovechkin and Gaudreau. They averaged 20:12 and 19:25 a game respectively.

Year 2 in the NHL probably sees Kuz's TOI spike. With any improvement from him as a player he may be in for a very special year.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
am i just getting caught up in the excitement or does kuz have the best hands in tight that we've ever seen in a canucks uniform?

who else would be in this conversation? we had vanek for a short time, he had unreal hands around the crease. greg adams, who i absolutely adored, but i don't think he was at that level. pre-meltdown bertuzzi was unstoppable in tight but i don't know if his hands by themselves were quite as good as kuz. i remember back in the day momesso had some memorable goals in the crease, and tom fergus was really good at getting his stick on the puck in the slot, but neither were elite talents obviously.

all to say, i just love watching kuz in the goalmouth. his hands are like quinn hughes's feet, just total magic.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad