Confirmed with Link: Canucks set to hire Bruce Boudreau as Head Coach (2 Year Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Sure but it doesn't mean anything if the team is performing poorly and losing.

For example:

Saying offensive players can be effective PKers is true but if they are used in a struggling PK, people will question the personnel just the same.

What makes Connor Garland a special player is only meaningful when he's producing offensively. Petey is a special player and good reasons can be provided but it's meaningless if he keeps ending with 0 points at the end of games.

There have been times in recent history when the Canucks PP get tons of shots on net but it's not particularly dangerous because there's no movement and the goalie saw the puck all the way.

Anyways, my comment about Green was said in jest. I've been critical of Green for a while here. My point is words are just words if you aren't able to back it up. "I thought we played well" is meaningless if you keep saying this after a loss.

Winning obviously helps but I don't think that's the only reason people are receptive to what Boudreau is saying at the moment. What he is saying is observable - we've seen what he is preaching. And regardless of winning or not, observing what he is preaching means the players understand his message. There's a very obvious difference in the transparency of this coach compared to Green.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Obviously I want the Brucey good time train to keep rolling but we all know the team isn't going to finish the year 53-0. They're going to lose again and might even get blown out etc.

I'm just interested to see the team face adversity and how Boudreau handles that. How he faces the media once the honeymoon is over so to speak.

But night and day difference with Boudreau the team looks so much better and you almost expect wins, instead of the lifeless unprepared teams Green trotted out.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Winning obviously helps but I don't think that's the only reason people are receptive to what Boudreau is saying at the moment. What he is saying is observable - we've seen what he is preaching. And regardless of winning or not, observing what he is preaching means the players understand his message. There's a very obvious difference in the transparency of this coach compared to Green.

Green did have the “reputation” of being a good communicator. For me, transparency to the public is not of great importance. It’s the communication to his players, the buy in, and the results on the ice etc.

I am buoyed but the results on the ice so far and Boudreau’s regular season record speaks for itself.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, I don't claim to have an eye test worth squat, but Scott Walker and Mark Wotton must have debuted at the same time in 1994 preseason because I remember really liking both of them, and feeling that Walker had untapped offensive potential. He showed decent flashes in his time with the Canucks (I believe he scored their season-opening goal at one point, which is always kind of a fun distinction) and indeed it felt good to see him break out with Nashville.

The Canucks chose to protect the likes of Donald Brashear, Peter Zezel, Jamie Huscroft and Chris McAllister over him.

first ever fight at gm place

that walker is a tough tough dude. anyone else would have turtled so many times in that fight

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
IvS12QG.jpg

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Seeing the team come out after an awful first period and keep the tempo high for the remaining 40 minutes was a bit of a revelation. Boudreau looks like he's a better motivator than the Canucks have had since maybe Quinn.

We've had coaches that would inject emotion into the dressing room (Quinn, Keenan, Crawford, Torts) but Boudreau seems to do it in a less abusive way. More of a "I know you can do this, so go out there and do it" approach, instead of challenging their manhood or threatening to ruin their career.

Basically it's great that he's delivering results without being a total prick.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Seeing the team come out after an awful first period and keep the tempo high for the remaining 40 minutes was a bit of a revelation. Boudreau looks like he's a better motivator than the Canucks have had since maybe Quinn.

We've had coaches that would inject emotion into the dressing room (Quinn, Keenan, Crawford, Torts) but Boudreau seems to do it in a less abusive way. More of a "I know you can do this, so go out there and do it" approach, instead of challenging their manhood or threatening to ruin their career.

Basically it's great that he's delivering results without being a total prick.

Interesting that given the concept of old coaches/managers = dinosaurs with young coaches/managers = progressive, Boudreau is an older coach who seems more progressive in how he relates to players, whereas Babcock may be younger but is "old school".

Rutherford is as old as they come but early indications (not much to go on other than his comments) are that he's forward thinking.

Feb 19, 2018
It’s very refreshing to see direction implemented with the team and systems. We force pressure all the time and even on the PK. This is the most fun I have had watching the team since Daniel/Henrik lead the league back to back with scoring titles.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

So did you make any fundamental changes in the way they play?

"Yeah, I did change pretty well everything" :laugh:

LOL when he goes through the details it really is everything, and it explains why they're so much better. Almost everything was rotten under Green so it's not surprising to hear BB say "the defensive zone coverage is completely different" and that he has also changed the neutral zone coverage and the overall aggressiveness of the team.

Most important, they've become a transition team which suits their strengths better (forward heavy) and masks their poor defence. Same thing with them pushing north all the time - basically keeps the pucks out of the back-end's hands. Quinn is still holding, as he should.

You add in the extra 5-10% the players are willing to give now that there's finally been a change and it's not surprising they're on such a streak.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Obviously I want the Brucey good time train to keep rolling but we all know the team isn't going to finish the year 53-0. They're going to lose again and might even get blown out etc.

I'm just interested to see the team face adversity and how Boudreau handles that. How he faces the media once the honeymoon is over so to speak.

But night and day difference with Boudreau the team looks so much better and you almost expect wins, instead of the lifeless unprepared teams Green trotted out.
Once again this team is different under Bruce and they are playing with a passion. If they lose, they will just win the next game. You make it sound like this Canucks team is spring chicken, like they all are playing their first year in the NHL. They faced huge adversity last year and this year when Green put them in a hole. I mean what other adversities do you think they have to face that they never faced? Maybe a comet coming down from the skies since they have had covid last year, covid this year, played with 4 Dmen, had 5 Dmen out, played under Green, have gone through a change in management, had 8 or 9 game losing streak etc. etc. But OMG if they lose one game now, what will they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad