Confirmed with Link: Canucks set to hire Bruce Boudreau as Head Coach (2 Year Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Sitting back and being flat footed does not work for Myers. He is just too big to be mobile from a stand still. Once he gets moving he is solid. The pressure game suits him.

Reactions: MS and Indiana

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He’s always going to have those oops moments but when he’s on he’s a pretty good dman. Consistency is what he lacks. Maybe Bruce can I still some.

True. I haven't found his play terrible or anything this year and I promised myself to give him a pass for a year because of the Keith hit

I wanted Myers with a different coach ever since that bubble run. He just seemed to get worse and worse with Green, so its cool BB gets to work with him

Granted I don't think any contender is going to be successful with Myers playing top 3 minutes. He's just to unreliable in all 3 zones

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Watch this interview, he sounds so smart compare to Green
If this was Green, he would not answer the question directly instead he would put on a smirk face and act like he’s smarter than everybody else

I’m listening to this and just shaking my head. Almost every point BB raises is an implicit rebuke of Green and all of his shortcomings. If Green wants to become a better coach, he could do worse than to take notes from this press avail.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

If this was Green, he would not answer the question directly instead he would put on a smirk face and act like he’s smarter than everybody else

You can tell he just absolutely loves the game. It isn't only a job for him, or about the money. It's his passion. His art form.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I’m listening to this and just shaking my head. Almost every point BB raises is an implicit rebuke of Green and all of his shortcomings. If Green wants to become a better coach, he could do worse than to take notes from this press avail.

To be fair, Green probably came on here and thought that fans prefer a guy who speaks like Gillis so he's going to be just that. He just didn't realize that it doesn't work without ice success.

But ya you can tell that Boudreau really does live and breathe hockey.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
To be fair, Green probably came on here and thought that fans prefer a guy who speaks like Gillis so he's going to be just that. He just didn't realize that it doesn't work without ice success.

But ya you can tell that Boudreau really does live and breathe hockey.
It wasn't so much the difference in tone between Green and Bourdreau. It was the substance:
- here's why offensive players can be effective PKers
- here's why you don't want your offense to center around point shots and tips
- here's why you shouldn't make perfect the enemy of good and fixate on players who are ideal PKers
- here's what makes Conor Garland a special player
- here's why you want your PP centered around shooting
- here's my diagnosis of the first 3 games and what we need to do to build off of the 3 wins

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It wasn't so much the difference in tone between Green and Bourdreau. It was the substance:
- here's why you shouldn't make perfect the enemy of good and fixate on players who are ideal PKers
- here's my diagnosis of the first 3 games and what we need to do to build off of the 3 wins

Part of this is just who Boudreau is, though. Like he just f***ing loves talking hockey (possibly he just loves talking anything, as implied by his nickname), and is eager to get into substantive hockey discussions. It's part of why he could have been such a good TV guy if he weren't so set on getting back to coaching.

I'm sure Green had his own motivations for the decisions he made, he just seemed to feel that discussing that stuff with laypeople was below his pay grade.

This is one of my favourite traits in a person: willingness to openly and with minimal jargon discuss a topic in which they have expertise with people who are not their equals on the topic.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Part of this is just who Boudreau is, though. Like he just f***ing loves talking hockey (possibly he just loves talking anything, as implied by his nickname), and is eager to get into substantive hockey discussions. It's part of why he could have been such a good TV guy if he weren't so set on getting back to coaching.

I'm sure Green had his own motivations for the decisions he made, he just seemed to feel that discussing that stuff with laypeople was below his pay grade.

This is one of my favourite traits in a person: willingness to openly and with minimal jargon discuss a topic in which they have expertise with people who are not their equals on the topic.
Definitely there is a big difference in personalities and willingness to engage with the media. But I think it goes deeper than that. My gripe with Green is that his decision making was fundamentally illogical.

I fully concede that my understanding of hockey coaching is best described as lay. But my field of work (basic research) is full of people that can provide a laundry list of technical reasons to justify their line of inquiry, even though the underlying premise is spurious. Classic case of missing the forest for the trees.

So it is with Green I think. That's how he tunnel visioned his way to an historically futile PK by trying to force his existing roster to play the ideal PK in his mind. Same with his passive defensive system that routinely lead the league in shots against and HDCA. Same with his insistence of riding his plugs in the dying minutes to cling precariously to the lead, relying heavily on excellent goaltending. He may well have had complex, nuanced reasons why he did what he did. But given the results, it was clear that the logic undergirding those decisions needed very badly to be revisited. But he was never able to break free and look at things from a new perspective. And that's why he's no longer HC.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Sitting back and being flat footed does not work for Myers. He is just too big to be mobile from a stand still. Once he gets moving he is solid. The pressure game suits him.

Agree with this but he can also do too much - there's a sweet spot to hit with him I think. He seems to have found it in a bigger role next to a steadier guy like OEL.

Reactions: iceburg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I forgot, how did we end up losing Scott Walker in his playing days?

We hopelessly underutilized him through the Renney/Keenan eras and typecast him as a fringe-y undersized 4th line goon while not realizing that his production was blowing his minutes apart, exposed him in the expansion draft, and he went on to have a totally predictable breakout when he was given more minutes/opportunity and even finished top-25 in scoring one year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

So much common sense that fans have been screaming for for 5 years.

Even just saying that 'our goalie won that game and we need to get back to our efforts from previous games' is like a revelation, given how starved we are for *anyone* in the organization to say something halfway intelligent.

Thank f*** Boudreau understands that standing still and passing the puck around is not how to run a good PP.
Thank f*** Boudreau has the understanding that a small player can play defense if he does some things well enough that he can compensate for his weaknesses.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We hopelessly underutilized him through the Renney/Keenan eras and typecast him as a fringe-y undersized 4th line goon while not realizing that his production was blowing his minutes apart, exposed him in the expansion draft, and he went on to have a totally predictable breakout when he was given more minutes/opportunity and even finished top-25 in scoring one year.

Yeah he wasn't quite the revelation William Karlsson was in his first year but it was very similar. Quite a bit like McCann. I could tell, even with my young, stupid eyes, that Walker was quite good and was upset that's who we lost.

Reactions: Indiana and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah he wasn't quite the revelation William Karlsson was in his first year but it was very similar. Quite a bit like McCann. I could tell, even with my young, stupid eyes, that Walker was quite good and was upset that's who we lost.

Same. I was a teenager but you could tell he was good, you could tell he was outproducing his minutes, you could tell he was an effective player but dumb people typecast him and instead we watched Brian Noonan play like 17-18 minutes/game and absolutely suck ass and then be immediately out of the NHL.

Watching Walker go to Nashville and then do exactly what I expected was an early confidence-builder for me that I knew what I was watching.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Such a contrast. All you would ever here from Green is
-That's a good team over there
-They played well tonight or they didn't play well tonight
-They didn't hit or block enough shots

I could put up with that if there were results, but he had 82 points in his last 98 regular season games. If I had to guess Green's age by how he coached, I would of guessed 80.

I really like Boudreau so far. He reminds me of some of the best coaches I've had had in various sports in that even if you won he would still find mistakes to work on for the next practice. I never saw that level of reflection in Green. Players continually made the same mistakes. Players were put in the same role with no change no matter how much it failed.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
3 even strength goals given up in 4 games. Well done Canucks. We were bleeding goals and bleeding dangerous chances at least since the tail end of the 2020 season. One of the worst as I recall.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

But he was the Wild Thing!!

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
when people were throwing around available coaching names a couple weeks ago I think most people thought he'd be an alright coach for us and an upgrade at the least, but not ideal

call it premature, honeymoon phase etc etc but I think bruce is probably the most ideal for us out of almost all coaches rn available or unavailable, very willing to give him a lot more than just 1.5 years here

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sure but it doesn't mean anything if the team is performing poorly and losing.

For example:

Saying offensive players can be effective PKers is true but if they are used in a struggling PK, people will question the personnel just the same.

What makes Connor Garland a special player is only meaningful when he's producing offensively. Petey is a special player and good reasons can be provided but it's meaningless if he keeps ending with 0 points at the end of games.

There have been times in recent history when the Canucks PP get tons of shots on net but it's not particularly dangerous because there's no movement and the goalie saw the puck all the way.

Anyways, my comment about Green was said in jest. I've been critical of Green for a while here. My point is words are just words if you aren't able to back it up. "I thought we played well" is meaningless if you keep saying this after a loss.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Bruce is perhaps the most fun, genuine cool coach all time, original, I really like him, a true personality.

Not very diplomatic but still nice/friendly, he is himself, speaking from his heart and honest.

In the same way he can be totally furious in the dressing room when things is not going his way. He is getting so vocal and angry it's almost funny though. I want more Bruce videos on YT.

My english may be funny but I'm a Swede. :rolleyes:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Same. I was a teenager but you could tell he was good, you could tell he was outproducing his minutes, you could tell he was an effective player but dumb people typecast him and instead we watched Brian Noonan play like 17-18 minutes/game and absolutely suck ass and then be immediately out of the NHL.

Watching Walker go to Nashville and then do exactly what I expected was an early confidence-builder for me that I knew what I was watching.
Yeah, I don't claim to have an eye test worth squat, but Scott Walker and Mark Wotton must have debuted at the same time in 1994 preseason because I remember really liking both of them, and feeling that Walker had untapped offensive potential. He showed decent flashes in his time with the Canucks (I believe he scored their season-opening goal at one point, which is always kind of a fun distinction) and indeed it felt good to see him break out with Nashville.

The Canucks chose to protect the likes of Donald Brashear, Peter Zezel, Jamie Huscroft and Chris McAllister over him.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad