Canucks Reverse Retro Jersey (yes, it's a gradient jersey)

So what do we think of the Canucks’ reverse retro jersey?

• Total voters

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's not bad. The Blue to Green gradient actually works instead of the first one that looked it was just dipped in red ink. Maybe someone looked at a colour wheel for once :laugh:

I see a time where our jerseys are going to be like soccer jerseys, where we make one minor change per year to make more money. I've seen so many variations of stick and rink, flying skate and orca now. Add one stripe and call it a new jersey.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
50 years in the NHL and the Orca has been the main logo for like 23 of those years since 1997. The Skate, since around 1980 or so, so that was 17 years give or take. Leaving 10 with the stick and rink.

So, this is the main logo. Ideally, Orca Bay would have gone with Johnny Canuck or something, but that time has passed.

This shade of blue is much darker than the current uniforms.

Just because the orca logo has been associated with the team for almost 25 years doesn't mean it's a good look.

Why not change it up, if anything incorporate the old V or as previously mentioned the millionaires look for the retro jersey?

The orca is over saturated and looks awful. This was a lazy take on the retro jersey IMO, they colors are decent but it's just so meh.....and that's disappointing.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Spot on with what I expected, and it looks even better seeing the real thing now. I hoped this might be where we finally saw a green outline around the orca, but whatever... I won’t complain. Thought they might also go with blue ice instead of white to more closely match the 90s look, but the white pops on that dark background better. One of the better RRs, IMO.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
It's not bad. The Blue to Green gradient actually works instead of the first one that looked it was just dipped in red ink. Maybe someone looked at a colour wheel for once :laugh:

I see a time where our jerseys are going to be like soccer jerseys, where we make one minor change per year to make more money. I've seen so many variations of stick and rink, flying skate and orca now. Add one stripe and call it a new jersey.
I have a feeling the RRs were rolled out to help recover some lost revenue due to Covid/no butts in seats, but yeah. This definitely has the feel of becoming something closer to an annual cash grab. I imagine some sales figures from the NFL’s color rush idea put this thing in motion, and the NBA’s city thing drove the point home.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I have a feeling the RRs were rolled out to help recover some lost revenue due to Covid/no butts in seats, but yeah. This definitely has the feel of becoming something closer to an annual cash grab. I imagine some sales figures from the NFL’s color rush idea put this thing in motion, and the NBA’s city thing drove the point home.

Since the NHL is a copycat league, they will soon have ads on jerseys, just like the NBA. No one flipped their lid when they added a sponsor patch, and the Warriors are getting $20 M a year for it. It's inevitable as I see it.

As long as they don't look this, I'd be ok with it. Maybe a small ad patch on the right.

TnmN3Axah3MzK5IAFfQGtVdxMuV_K2i7FPJgeEAChvKMwlXgxXLwZ2ytaIKjWQ6TEIaw8Tr_JYwZwgVjSoq0yjE

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
These jersey's do nothing for me. I was a young teenager when the original gradient came out and I liked it enough then. Thought it was a cool they were trying something different.

Aside, I despise the skate logo. Intensely. I have no nostalgia for it and hated it when I was a child. The colours and design are straight from the 90s. Thought it was a plate of spaghetti for a while. Generic skate with random colours that represent nothing of the location. Orcas are emblematic of the pacific northwest and, since I'm from the island, a common site. What we have now is a perfectly good combination of colours that represent something (kelly green for the trees, royal blue for the ocean, and white for the mountains) and a logo that is (now was with Seattle) unique to the area.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the OG gradient was one of the worst Canucks jerseys of all time but for some some reason I love these new ones. Some of the jerseys the other teams got are pathetic. Detroit’s would be ugly even if it was a practice jersey.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's average imo.

anaheim dallas detroit edmonton florida nashville san jose toronto winnipeg all ugly.

washington stl pittsburgh new york montreal minnesota la colorado carolina calgary buffalo arizona all nice

everything else is mid

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
I kn
Since the NHL is a copycat league, they will soon have ads on jerseys, just like the NBA. No one flipped their lid when they added a sponsor patch, and the Warriors are getting $20 M a year for it. It's inevitable as I see it.

As long as they don't look this, I'd be ok with it. Maybe a small ad patch on the right.

TnmN3Axah3MzK5IAFfQGtVdxMuV_K2i7FPJgeEAChvKMwlXgxXLwZ2ytaIKjWQ6TEIaw8Tr_JYwZwgVjSoq0yjE
I know ill be all alone in this but the ads never bothered me all that much. Would I prefer it? No. But I'm more or less neutral.

Reactions: Indiana

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Meh.

I know it’s a marketing gimmick but Jesus, the Nucks have had so many logos, styles and colour schemes over the years.

Pick one already: Betty or Veronica

Reactions: Bubbles

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Was the brief to all of the designers to make the ugliest jerseys possible but still try to make them cool in a weird way? I see them all as this:
Good: Avs, Oilers, Kings, Wild, Canadiens,
OK: Bruins, Coyotes, Blackhawks, Panthers, Penguins, Capitals,
Bad: Sabres, Flames, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Preds, Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Sens, Flyers, Sharks, Lightning, Leafs,
Brutally bad: Canucks, Ducks, Stars, Blues, Golden Knights, Jets

The biggest feel I get from most of them is that they look like they are knock-off jerseys from some random warehouse outlet store. The NFL color rush promotion was way better executed, IMO.

Reactions: Luckylarry

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
They remind me of the alternates when it was the black orca jerseys with red.

4643b2c7246222049c875cefecc30e50.jpg

I think the new retro might grow on you after a bit.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Like I mentioned earlier, this jersey was the first Canucks jersey I ever owned. It's a bit unique, too - it's a custom, autographed #18 Steve Kariya. :D

I've worked to accumulate every home, away and alternate jersey the Canucks have worn over the years, so I'll definitely be grabbing one of these. I think they look pretty slick, although I would have liked to have seen the Canucks embrace more of the skate logo era for their retros. (The salmon alternates from 1997, for example).

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Ummm, I think I would like this better were it to be introduced last year instead of that stupid third jersey with the cartoony stick in rink logo.

I guess I would have hoped they may take a chance here, and they played it incredibly safe if you ask me.

Hey, at least this isn’t Benning’s fault. Jim would probably be down with some badass reverse retro Flying V action.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
You know what, thats not a bad jersey at all.

It didn’t wow me at first, but now its slowly growing on me the more I look at it. Kind of has a subtlety to it. Noice!

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Always loved this jersey. Not huge on the new ones yet, proper letter/number font would help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad