Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jack Rathbone (Apr 16)

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Myers gives up 5+ A+ scoring chances a game and because he's often deployed in a defensive matchup or coming off a a recent PK shift doesn't have a chance to highlight his greatest strength which is his puck-rushing. He's a fringe 4/5 who should be deployed situationally, but often get forced into scenario where he's too gassed to help create scoring chances

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
i was not focusing specifically on the fakes. he will get scouted on those so they may have a shelf life. they also will not work in the ozone unless he has a respected point shot, which i have not seen enough of to be sure.

my comment was more general. it is early days, but he looks to be playing a more imaginative and mobile game than i had expected. watching this guy below my principle concern is that he played a pretty conventional game that relied on being a much better skater than anyone else. i see a lot of development since harvard.

i like his lateral movement and all around mobility (not just north south).

It's funny that you are mentioning Harvard. And anytime I mention Fox and Marino would naturally invite criticism. But if we revisit threads on his fellow Harvard Ds when they started out last year (not as elite as now ;)) , you would see similar mentions of poise, good decision-making, all-around agility and mobility. For example, they said Fox walks the line very well much like Cull talked about Rathbone.

IMHO there was some common denominator there, and, way forward, I hope we won't coach that away from Rathbone. ;)

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Meantime, back to Rathbone who it looks like will be paired with Myers again tonight. The rookie will have to carry that pairing again. But the impressive thing is he's more than capable of doing it.

I'd love to see Rathbone replace Myers on the second unit pp....but that won't happen anytime soon.

Rathbone will almost certainly start next year qb'ing the second unit. Pod will play the right side - he has a decent one timer and can make plays. Hog bumper, then whoever else. But our 2nd unit will look a lot different and should be a lot better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
"I have argued nothing, there I will just say you've argued nothing, because I am wrong.".

Alright then, LOL. What "actual evidence and analysis" have you provided?

I mean, your rep around here is pretty hilarious, so I'm not gonna take you too seriously from here on out.

to recap, you are the one claiming to have better objective stat based opinions than others to back up your hot take on myers, and you are the guy who doubled down on that when questioned without actually explaining it, and you are the one who will not back it up when asked to do so.

and so now you are resorting to deflection, non-sequiturs and incredibly half assed character assassination.

and lol at thinking rep here is important enough to be an insult you can wield against me. should i change my opinions to be more popular? is that what you do?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
was hard to tell whether rathbone is really good at getting open for the shot (unlike every other canuck), or winnipeg wasn’t trying

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All you can say is Wow!....after watching Hughes and Rathbone operate together manning the point on the pp.....best the pp as looked in over a month.

It really is beyond disgraceful that it's taken until the dying week of the season for Rathbone to find a place in this lineup.

Who knows, if Rathbone had been in the lineup from the beginning, their pp might have actually got them a lot closer to a playoff spot, and Green might not have ended up looking for work.

Reactions: bossram

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Next year PPs:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Hughes Rathbone

Hoglander Horvat Podz
Eriksson Myers

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Rathbone's emergence is a huge bonus, and probly makes Edler expendable, and saves the Canucks a lot of salary on defence. Edler maybe becomes expendable, leaving some money on the table to sign Hamonic.

Not sure if they compliment each other well, but Schmidt and Rathbone, Hughes and Hamonic as the top 4, with Edler at reduced salary playing with Myers. In any case, Rathbone makes our d look a lot better going into next year.

Reactions: Indiana

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
^i dont agree with those PP lines at all. Rathbone isnt going to take over Peteys one timer spot. Rathbone should really run the 2nd unit PP or be the trigger man on the 2nd unit.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
to recap, you are the one claiming to have better objective stat based opinions than others to back up your hot take on myers, and you are the guy who doubled down on that when questioned without actually explaining it, and you are the one who will not back it up when asked to do so.

and so now you are resorting to deflection, non-sequiturs and incredibly half assed character assassination.

and lol at thinking rep here is important enough to be an insult you can wield against me. should i change my opinions to be more popular? is that what you do?

1. You're avoiding explaining anything. The depth of your analysis is "my opinion is right because I say so". Absolutely no analysis or stats behind that.

2. Yah, the rep matters. People here think your views are mostly off-base, so it's hard to take anything you say credibly. I wouldn't take medical advice from an anti-vaxxer, lol.

3. Never changed my opinions on most of Benning's moves/player evaluations, and particularly in the beginning of the Benning era my views were more unpopular. But I've been vindicated on most of them. I'm pretty good on this.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Rathbone's emergence is a huge bonus, and probly makes Edler expendable, and saves the Canucks a lot of salary on defence. Edler maybe becomes expendable, leaving some money on the table to sign Hamonic.

Not sure if they compliment each other well, but Schmidt and Rathbone, Hughes and Hamonic as the top 4, with Edler at reduced salary playing with Myers. In any case, Rathbone makes our d look a lot better going into next year.

I think this is likely the defense they return with, but I'm not sure how much better it is. IMO having Rathbone in the starting six over OJ or Benn is an improvement, but then you also have Edler and Schmidt a year older. Other pieces are the same.

I like Rathbone but I think it's a risk to project him playing hard minutes next season.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I’d like to see the following next year:

Rathbone - Schmidt
Hughes - Hamonic
Juolevi - Myers

Love Edler, but he’s done. We’re not going to be a contender next year, so let the young D grow with lots of ice time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
1. You're avoiding explaining anything. The depth of your analysis is "my opinion is right because I say so". Absolutely no analysis or stats behind that.

2. Yah, the rep matters. People here think your views are mostly off-base, so it's hard to take anything you say credibly. I wouldn't take medical advice from an anti-vaxxer, lol.

3. Never changed my opinions on most of Benning's moves/player evaluations, and particularly in the beginning of the Benning era my views were more unpopular. But I've been vindicated on most of them. I'm pretty good on this.

to recap

i didn't say my opinions were more objective than your opinions. you did.

i didn't bloviate then run and hide when asked to back up that assertion. you did.

i didn't resort to cheap insults to cover up for the fact i was running and hiding. you did. comparing me to an anti-vaxxer is pretty pathetic.

and as for "rep", that's an appeal to authority, which is the definition of a shitty argument. if you actually think rep here counts i guess that is because you are here to be popular and i feel sad for you. if i was posting to be popular i'd be on a different forum where everyone agreed with me. as you know, there are much bigger forums than this where i could go to do that. i choose to challenge my ideas. you should try that sometime instead of bragging about never changing your opinions.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I’d like to see the following next year:

Rathbone - Schmidt
Hughes - Hamonic
Juolevi - Myers

Love Edler, but he’s done. We’re not going to be a contender next year, so let the young D grow with lots of ice time.

I like this on paper but I expect Canucks to sign one more experienced defenceman to flesh out the D core. I'm fully expecting Benning to go after Oleksiak after he couldn't get Tryamkin signed. The reality is Canucks need a more heavy defence, most elite teams build their defence with a combination of size and skill which Canucks need more of.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
All you can say is Wow!....after watching Hughes and Rathbone operate together manning the point on the pp.....best the pp as looked in over a month.

It really is beyond disgraceful that it's taken until the dying week of the season for Rathbone to find a place in this lineup.

Who knows, if Rathbone had been in the lineup from the beginning, their pp might have actually got them a lot closer to a playoff spot, and Green might not have ended up looking for work.

Why do you keep using these words? Disgraceful?

A lot of times players need time to develop and also to bid their time. Rathbone, by the little accounts of him, did not appear ready at the beginning of the season. But if you're going to place blame you can place the blame on Green. He had Rathbone at his disposal but chose to play others.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
as i was watching last night and reflecting upon the minutes and pp time they gave rathbone, i began to worry. it comes down to whether they see rathbone and hughes as a viable top 4 left side combo in the future. if not, they will be thinking about trading rathbone now or in the future, and looking hard at how they can play shutdown defence next year with both in the lineup. if they don't see that as viable, they will want to trade rathbone now. i don't see hughes as suited to shutdown and i see no way they will gamble that rathbone can do it as a rookie.

they also have decisions to make about edler and juolevi.

i think they will want to re-sign edler for a hometown discount in a tight cap, because they need that kind of player and out of respect. but they will not count on him as the only match up dman on the left side. they also do not have the cap space to replace edler with a better player. they need him next year.

so i can see them moving at least one of juolevi and rathbone in the offseason, and maybe putting the other guy in the 4 slot while adding a conventional physical dman, i think they will want to make a trade to do that. no way will a ufa good enough to have options sign for that situation with elder and hughes secure and a young touted prospect right behind him breathing down their neck.

so rathbone or juolevi may both be available in return for a left side dman they see as a long term fit plus whatever else is needed to make the deal work.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I would be shocked if either of Juolevi or Rathbone get traded. I think people aren't giving cap issues enough import, especially in the next year. Hughes and Pettersson will be taking up big chunks of cap space. Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson are still taking up $12M of space for the next year.
It is an obvious time to have as many low cost, elc contracts as possible on the team. I really think you'll see Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi on the left side. They will try to re-sign Hamonic ($1.5M) and Edler ($2M) for cheap. Together with Schmidt and Myers there's your spending limit on 7 D.
One can argue that the left side is too young but what's the alternative? Buyouts save some money but not enough to get a top 4 D. Trades could work but other than giving up high draft picks, Benning hasn't shown an ability to bring in high level talent via trade. And they need to move money out to bring it in.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
as i was watching last night and reflecting upon the minutes and pp time they gave rathbone, i began to worry. it comes down to whether they see rathbone and hughes as a viable top 4 left side combo in the future. if not, they will be thinking about trading rathbone now or in the future, and looking hard at how they can play shutdown defence next year with both in the lineup. if they don't see that as viable, they will want to trade rathbone now. i don't see hughes as suited to shutdown and i see no way they will gamble that rathbone can do it as a rookie.

i think they will want to re-sign edler for a hometown discount in a tight cap, because they need that kind of player and out of respect. but they will not count on him as the only match up dman on the left side. they also do not have the cap space to replace edler with a better player. they need him next year.

so i can see them moving at least one of juolevi and rathbone in the offseason, and maybe putting the other guy in the 4 slot while adding a conventional physical dman, i think they will want to make a trade to do that. no way will a ufa good enough to have options sign for that situation with elder and hughes secure and a young touted prospect right behind him breathing down their neck.

so rathbone or juolevi may both be available in return for a left side dman they see as a long term fit plus whatever else is needed to make the deal work.

I would be furious if Rathbone gets dealt. I for one think he has a very good chance to end up a better and more valuable player than Hughes is overall. He is dynamic on both ends of the ice and has shown that he has the potential to be a legitimate all situations #1D. I question QH43's ability to ever be a reliable guy in the D zone.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I dont see an issue with having two identical smallish PMD's...but they would definitely have to be insulated with steady defensive minded D men...Juolevi is a different type of player, and I still dont think they know what they have in him..

I would like to see the team build around these players.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I dont see an issue with having two identical smallish PMD's...but they would definitely have to be insulated with steady defensive minded D men...Juolevi is a different type of player, and I still dont think they know what they have in him..

I would like to see the team build around these players.
Finally a good take from you. Although i personally think Olli could have the makings of an atleast decent dual threat D.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I would be shocked if either of Juolevi or Rathbone get traded. I think people aren't giving cap issues enough import, especially in the next year. Hughes and Pettersson will be taking up big chunks of cap space. Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson are still taking up $12M of space for the next year.

i hope you are right.

Reactions: iceburg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad