Recalled/Assigned: Canucks recall D Jack Rathbone (Apr 16)

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think we would be better off letting Rathbone play big minutes in Abbotsford while running the PP than having him play limited minutes and very little PP time in Vancouver next year

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Does Rathbone have a projectable frame to be a top 4 d-man .?.He's the same height and weight as Hughes..Hughes evades punishment with his superior skating..Rathbone, while a smart player, does not play the same way as Hughes (maybe a bit more multi dimensional)...Thats one of my concerns.

Anyway,happy to have him on the team ..and was a bright light in a dark season.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Does Rathbone have a projectable frame to be a top 4 d-man .?.He's the same height and weight as Hughes..Hughes evades punishment with his superior skating..Rathbone, while a smart player, does not play the same way as Hughes (maybe a bit more multi dimensional)...Thats one of my concerns.

Anyway,happy to have him on the team ..and was a bright light in a dark season.

You need to do a little research

Rathbone is 20lbs heavier and an inch taller
Rathbone is also an excellent skater, albeit, does have Hughes Lateralness

Rathbone is much better defensively
Hughes is a one dimentional offensive defenseman...........albeit a very good one!

I will say though...we should wait and see what Rathbone does over a complete season before
announcing him as a second coming of Doug Lister

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Thicker but is he more fluid in skating?

Well, no. I mean nobody really is. But he should be physically more capable of handling big forwards down low. And he is an excellent skater.

Hughes is obviously a very special player offensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: zcaptain

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You need to do a little research

Rathbone is 20lbs heavier and an inch taller
Rathbone is also an excellent skater, albeit, does have Hughes Lateralness

Rathbone is much better defensively
Hughes is a one dimentional offensive defenseman...........albeit a very good one!

I will say though...we should wait and see what Rathbone does over a complete season before
announcing him as a second coming of Doug Lister
Canucks official website, TSN, Hockey db and most hockey databases all have Rathbone at 5'10 ..177lbs
Wiki and elite prospects has him at 5'11..190lbs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, with Rathbone in the lineup the d-corps appears to be pretty well balanced. They've got three guys on the left side who are all above average puck-handlers, shooters and puck distributors in Hughes, OEL and Rathbone. And they've got three stay at home types on the right side with Poolman, Hamonic and Schenn. And Myers is the right shot swing-man who can play up and down the lineup.

That's seven d-men, and if they decide to carry eight, then Juolevi is guy for designated press-box duty. Based on how last season ended, I really hope they don't decide to send Rathbone down to farm only because he doesn't need waivers.

Reactions: MarkMM

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Thicker but is he more fluid in skating?
Actually Rathbone might be a little faster than Hughes, his mobility and edge work are also good.

Hughes is just on a different planet in terms of his edge work. He's an ankle breaker and he doesn't even look like he's trying very hard.

Reactions: Bankerguy

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
He should be playing with the big club this season. Perfect situation for him as the bottom pairing left side dman. Sheltered and can learn from OEL and Hughes.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Actually, with Rathbone in the lineup the d-corps appears to be pretty well balanced. They've got three guys on the left side who are all above average puck-handlers, shooters and puck distributors in Hughes, OEL and Rathbone. And they've got three stay at home types on the right side with Poolman, Hamonic and Schenn. And Myers is the right shot swing-man who can play up and down the lineup.

That's seven d-men, and if they decide to carry eight, then Juolevi is guy for designated press-box duty. Based on how last season ended, I really hope they don't decide to send Rathbone down to farm only because he doesn't need waivers.

Jim building his team like NES ice hockey again
upload_2021-8-2_9-46-20.png

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Actually Rathbone might be a little faster than Hughes, his mobility and edge work are also good.

Hughes is just on a different planet in terms of his edge work. He's an ankle breaker and he doesn't even look like he's trying very hard.
Agreed. Hughes doesnt actually have a lot of straight line speed but his agility and edge work is so fun to watch.

Reactions: iceburg

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone makes the Canucks almost by default. I mean on the left side, they have OEL, Hughes and Juolevi. In terms of left-shot d-men with a legitimate shot to make the big club, who else is there?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Rathbone makes the Canucks almost by default. I mean on the left side, they have OEL, Hughes and Juolevi. In terms of left-shot d-men with a legitimate shot to make the big club, who else is there?

Brad Hunt.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Brad Hunt.
Brad Hunt has been a decent journeyman d-man, albeit undersized and turns 33 in a couple of weeks.. But if Rathbone loses out to him in training camp, it'll only because he gets injured.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Canucks official website, TSN, Hockey db and most hockey databases all have Rathbone at 5'10 ..177lbs
Wiki and elite prospects has him at 5'11..190lbs.

I guess that is all fine, I refer to CapFriendly, so who knows, But I have watched him hit a few players in the 200 lb range and he wins his battles.

Not a big Dman, but much more physical than Hughes and much from what I have seen plays bigger

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
IMO Rathbone has to be significantly better than OJ to make the roster. Entirely possible, even likely, that he is. But if they are close, probably makes more sense to see what Juolevi can do with in the NHL, while letting Rathbone get #1 minutes down the Trans Canada.

I say that as someone with high expectations for Rathbone. Just not giving up on Juolevi yet.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
IMO Rathbone has to be significantly better than OJ to make the roster. Entirely possible, even likely, that he is. But if they are close, probably makes more sense to see what Juolevi can do with in the NHL, while letting Rathbone get #1 minutes down the Trans Canada.

I say that as someone with high expectations for Rathbone. Just not giving up on Juolevi yet.
Yeah this is exactly where I'm at.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Brad Hunt has been a decent journeyman d-man, albeit undersized and turns 33 in a couple of weeks.. But if Rathbone loses out to him in training camp, it'll only because he gets injured.

I think Rathbone will get the spot, but Hunt is serious competition. It won't be Rathbone's spot by "default."

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is what happens, unless Rathbone comes to camp and literally blows everybody away...There was progression from Juolevi last season (before the covid break), paired with Myers ...Juolevi was also being used on the second unit PK.

The Canucks organization has far too much invested in OJ ...Obviously, he wouldn't clear waivers.

Reactions: alternate

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The guy that Rathbone was paired with at Harvard--Adam Fox--just won the Norris Trophy. And some Harvard observers claimed that Rathbone might have actually been the more complete d-man of the two.

If he fails to stick with the Canucks after training camp, it'll be a travesty.

Reactions: clay

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
If the team was already pot committed to playing Juolevi next year, they shouldn't have traded for OEL. Rathbone is an NHL D right now, and probably a top 4 guy at that. In my view, he makes QH43 expendable for the right return. He can run a powerplay at an elite level and shut down top players as well. He is the full package.

Reactions: Mr4legs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad