News Article: Canucks Re-Sign President Jim Rutherford to 3-Year Contract Extension

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It's funny how certain people defend Aquaman, and give him credit for hiring Rutherford to control himself.

Would it not make more sense that the Aquilini family got embarrassed with his public divorce and child abuse, bringing a bad image to the company as a whole, and his father and brothers gave him an ultimatum to step into the shadows, and actually did the hiring of Rutherford themselves?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's funny how certain people defend Aquaman, and give him credit for hiring Rutherford to control himself.

Would it not make more sense that the Aquilini family got embarrassed with his public divorce and child abuse, bringing a bad image to the company as a whole, and his father and brothers gave him an ultimatum to step into the shadows, and actually did the hiring of Rutherford themselves?
No..FA literally flew to Carolina, and to JR's home, and begged JR to join the Canucks .

You've got to credit FA there..he got the right guy.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
No..FA literally flew to Carolina, and to JR's home, and begged JR to join the Canucks .

You've got to credit FA there..he got the right guy.

You think his father and brothers would do that for him too? They probably had asked around the league and had head hunters finding candidates for them, that's how rumours starts, because leaks.

JR probably said no a few times, because he knew what kind of owner FA was, and FA had to go beg JR and show that he's not going to have any power over JR.

It would not surprise me if there is language within the contract that states that JR is responsible for all hockey related decisions, and FA cannot overrule.

There was absolutely no reason for JR to come touch the hot mess if FA was just giving his word.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

The last I heard about this was that Aquillini objected to paying child support to a child who was no longer a child but was actually an adult. Also, there were serious issues in regard to the credibility of some of the accusations.

The bottom line though is that this has f***-all to do with the resigning of Rutherford or Aquillini's tenure as controlling owner, and bringing it up is weak-ass sauce that some people use to spread on and enhance their off-topic arguments.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The last I heard about this was that Aquillini objected to paying child support to a child who was no longer a child but was actually an adult. Also, there were serious issues in regard to the credibility of some of the accusations.

The bottom line though is that this has f***-all to do with the resigning of Rutherford or Aquillini's tenure as controlling owner, and bringing it up is weak-ass sauce that some people use to spread on and enhance their off-topic arguments.

Stick to your own advice with this one.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Well deserved contract and frankly I don't expect him to be as productive in all the areas he has been to date, but boy, if he continues as a net positive we Canuck fans are in for some great hockey.

Not sure about the narrative Blueberries is some kind of saviour because of JR. I'd give Blueberries a lot more hand in hiring Gillis, which I think was a great move. Pretty much everything after that showed his naivety or incompetence and the JR hire certainly seems driven from other quarters, or at least with the understanding that Franky would butt out. To his credit, he's done that.

If people want to laud a person for that, they're welcome to that and I suppose the derision that may come along with it.

There are a lot of people deserving of credit for turning this team around and Aqua is far down that pecking order.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You think his father and brothers would do that for him too? They probably had asked around the league and had head hunters finding candidates for them, that's how rumours starts, because leaks.

JR probably said no a few times, because he knew what kind of owner FA was, and FA had to go beg JR and show that he's not going to have any power over JR.

It would not surprise me if there is language within the contract that states that JR is responsible for all hockey related decisions, and FA cannot overrule.

There was absolutely no reason for JR to come touch the hot mess if FA was just giving his word.
I’m just going by the timeline of events that JR spoke about (his hiring).

There absolutely was a reason for JR to join the Canucks..Their was an elite young-ish core in place..and he was guaranteed complete control of hockey op’s

You’re making up a lot of cloak and dagger scenarios which didn’t happen.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I’m just going by the timeline of events that JR spoke about (his hiring).

There absolutely was a reason for JR to join the Canucks..Their was an elite young-ish core in place..and he was guaranteed complete control of hockey op’s

Do you think JR would come to the microphone and say that he was approached and didn't want to come to Vancouver because of ownership until he was guaranteed full control.

The rumour of Aquaman flying to Carolina to beg JR leads me to conclude that the Aquilini family wanted JR more than JR wanted the Canucks.

Normally, the person being hired is the one flying out to the team for talks.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He kinda returned to where he was with Gillis and Vigneault, but you go ahead and run with your conspiracy theory.

Right after JR hiring, and right before that? BB hiring, which was from Aquaman.

If you tell me that he suddenly changed the way he acts right after hiring BB and the team starts winning, then I'm not going to waste me time.

Reactions: calnuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you think JR would come to the microphone and say that he was approached and didn't want to come to Vancouver because of ownership until he was guaranteed full control.

The rumour of Aquaman flying to Carolina to beg JR leads me to conclude that the Aquilini family wanted JR more than JR wanted the Canucks.

Normally, the person being hired is the one flying out to the team for talks.
Do you really think that JR would come out of retirement (with his resume and clout) and not have complete control..seriously.?

Its not a rumour that FA flew out to JR's home in Carolina ..It really did happen...This impressed JR..They spoke for 5 hours.

"That 5 hrs with him seemed like a half and hour..my wife made a cheese and fruit tray,he seemed to enjoy that"..JR

You're ill informed.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Right after JR hiring, and right before that? BB hiring, which was from Aquaman.

If you tell me that he suddenly changed the way he acts right after hiring BB and the team starts winning, then I'm not going to waste me time.

I'm not sure. Are those two tweets by guys I've never heard of in support of your argument or mine?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
holy shit rutherford is old balls, than again joe biden is 81 and still president
And here I was feeling optimistic about this signing... :sarcasm:

Aquallini is like the dude in the work group where you ask him to pick out the font and paper colour while everyone else does the real work. This is so he feels included but also so he doesn’t f*** up the actual important things.
But this is how you end up with construction paper and comic sans, so it's all for not.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Big fan of this. He's exactly what we all hoped we'd get when Benning got fired - a separate position for president, who has the clout and demeanor to keep Aqua away from hockey ops.

Do you really think that JR would come out of retirement (with his resume and clout) and not have complete control..seriously.?

Its not a rumour that FA flew out to JR's home in Carolina ..It really did happen...This impressed JR..They spoke for 5 hours.

"That 5 hrs with him seemed like a half and hour..my wife made a cheese and fruit tray,he seemed to enjoy that"..JR

You're ill informed.
He underestimated the scope of the Aqua problem when he took the role. The Boudreau saga is proof that our front office did not have the control they thought they did and had to fight a very public battle to get it.

And FA didn't intend to get the setup we have now. He wanted JR to be both GM and president. We are very lucky that JR had no intention of being a GM again.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna

This is completely at odds with what was reported, such that is should be challenged, even if off-topic. All four children submitted sworn evidence to the courts of psychological and physical child abuse by FA. Those include one child recalling an incident in which they say their father began beating them while they were sleeping and continued to beat them until they woke up. Another remembered being punched in the stomach by Francesco Aquilini. Another that FA threw a five-year-old child across a bedroom.

These are four separate victims with corroborating sworn evidence. What were the serious issues in regards to the credibility of theses accusations, other than that FA denied them? I’ve not read any, so would be interested to hear.

Finally, a parent’s child support obligations may not end once the child turns 19. They can extend to university age, for example, for expenses related to schooling.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
These are four separate victims with corroborating sworn evidence. What were the serious issues in regards to the credibility of theses accusations, other than that FA denied them? I’ve not read any, so would be interested to hear.

The craziest thing is that they have every incentive to keep their mouths shut, now they risk not getting a penny of FA's money going forward.

Which to me, says it leans a lot more closer to the truth.

Reactions: racerjoe

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This is completely at odds with what was reported, such that is should be challenged, even if off-topic. All four children submitted sworn evidence to the courts of psychological and physical child abuse by FA. Those include one child recalling an incident in which they say their father began beating them while they were sleeping and continued to beat them until they woke up. Another remembered being punched in the stomach by Francesco Aquilini. Another that FA threw a five-year-old child across a bedroom.

Finally, a parent’s child support obligations may not end once the child turns 19. They can extend to university age, for example, for expenses related to schooling.
I believe the serious issues were that none of the children complained or made these accusations until their father stopped paying child support or threatened to stop paying child support to his adult children. I don't recall which. Also, no police reports were ever filed and no visits to the hospital were ever documented. In other words, it wasn't until the money flow was in danger of drying up in one direction that the accusations began to flow in the other direction. It is always EXTREMELY suspect when accusations are thrown around only AFTER there is financial loss or gain involved and there is nothing tangible to back them up with.

Divorces can get very ugly, and if you know what happened and who's lying then you're a better man than I am and you oughta apply for a job as a lie detector.

Now, back to Rutherford.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad