News Article: Canucks Re-Sign President Jim Rutherford to 3-Year Contract Extension

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A thread about a good thing Aquillini did has turned into a thread about bad things and unproven accusations that Aquillini is a child abuser. This is from us, Canucks' fans, about the owner of the team we love and the team which currently sits atop the NHL.

Those people are right. We really are the worst fans in the NHL.

Fans here have every freaking right to be triggered every time our idiot owner is in the news, or when people try to compliment him.

The last 10-12 years here have been a disgrace and it should be just as f***ing long before he gets an iota of benefit of the doubt.

And nobody is being a ‘bad fan’ for hating this moron who plunged this franchise into a decade of darkness.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Fans here have every freaking right to be triggered every time our idiot owner is in the news, or when people try to compliment him.

The last 10-12 years here have been a disgrace and it should be just as f***ing long before he gets an iota of benefit of the doubt.

And nobody is being a ‘bad fan’ for hating this moron who plunged this franchise into a decade of darkness.

Aquaman's presence in media and twitter seems greatly diminished, I wonder what the reason is.

Was it someone in the family or Moleman who told him to back off?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Blaming a guy for past defeats when his most recent move is a victory is just alien to me. Give the guy his due. That includes presiding over the Sedin's peak years, Mike Gillis, and the success of the late 2Ks and early 2010s.

I think Aquillini is a bigger Canucks' fan than all of us. He just had the money to buy the team and make his dream come true. Has he always made the right moves? Hell, no. He's made some terrible ones and he hung with them for way too long. It turned into a circus with Linden, Benning, various coaches, et cetera. Yeah, it was bad and Aquillini put the pieces in place to build that grotesque puzzle. A couple of years ago I was more disenchanted than I was in the mid-80s and later with the Messier years. However, recent failures tend to make us forget the successes of the past. He did bring us the 2011 cup run, then some bad years, and now he appears to have brought us back to prominence.

But frankly, if I were him and if I was faced with the kind of abuse he gets from Canucks' fans I'd tell Canucks' fans to f*** off and sell the team to an investment group out of Toronto. Sometimes I think there is nothing this fan base deserves more than having the Canucks run by a bunch of Toronto millionaires.

I know. That thought makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up too.

But failing that, let's just ease up and enjoy the ride and appreciate Rutherford's extension.

Reactions: Indiana

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Just a petty note. Please understand the Rutherford re-signed, he did not resign.

Its one you see on this site all the time .....
Well, you're correct. It is petty. :laugh:

I possess excellent spelling and grammar skills but that word has always been an issue for me. Another is "committed". One t or two? No matter how many times I use it I'm unsure if it's spelled with one or two. I've always suspected this may have something to do with my considerable dyslexia but at the same time I don't really see how. You should see how many times I need to read over a post before I submit it though. And still I need to make edits because I'm a bit of a perfectionist which is not a great thing for a dyslexic to be. It can cause extreme inner turmoil. :laugh:

Reactions: Indiana and jd22

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

The bar for a "good owner" is super low in general. In a world where you have sketchy oligarchs and oil sheikhs buying up much of the premier sports organizations, just having someone who wants to keep the team in the city while wanting it to succeed (even if they're an interfering idiot) already beats a good fourth of owners. Hell, a "good" ownership is typically attributed to owners who just stay the f*** away from hockey ops, keep the pocketbooks open and only step in if shit hits the fan.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hello everyone,

Seems to be some bruhahas happening. Kind reminder to all that everyone agreed to the forum rules when they registered. If you need a refresher on the rules they are here:

Keep the thread on topic please. Or as a neutral mod I will start tossing people out and giving formal warnings.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Aquaman's presence in media and twitter seems greatly diminished, I wonder what the reason is.

Was it someone in the family or Moleman who told him to back off?
One of the underrated fringe benefits of Rutherford's hiring is that Aquilini has basically disappeared from view.

He showed up to at the press conference to announce Rutherford's three-year contract extension....but hopefully that's the last time we see him this season.

I've always taken the view that ownership of an NHL team is mostly irrelevant. Whether it's John McCaw and the Seattle Cable Company; or the Aquilini's, the best owners hire hockey people and give them the independence to run the organization.

The really successful owners are almost nameless and faceless as far as the fans are concerned. It's all about the players, coaches and the GM. Too bad it took more than a decade for Aquilini to finally figure this out.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
good signing. if and when the canucks win a cup under allvin/rutherford that would be icing on the cake. with this core.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well deserved extension. There were some missteps early on and a lot of the moves so far (good acquisitions) are short term, but the results are there so far.

No..FA literally flew to Carolina, and to JR's home, and begged JR to join the Canucks .

You've got to credit FA there..he got the right guy.

Yet, there are some who believe that JR wasn't allowed to fire Boudreau and hire his own coach.

This is completely at odds with what was reported, such that is should be challenged, even if off-topic. All four children submitted sworn evidence to the courts of psychological and physical child abuse by FA. Those include one child recalling an incident in which they say their father began beating them while they were sleeping and continued to beat them until they woke up. Another remembered being punched in the stomach by Francesco Aquilini. Another that FA threw a five-year-old child across a bedroom.

These are four separate victims with corroborating sworn evidence. What were the serious issues in regards to the credibility of theses accusations, other than that FA denied them? I’ve not read any, so would be interested to hear.

Finally, a parent’s child support obligations may not end once the child turns 19. They can extend to university age, for example, for expenses related to schooling.

You're putting your own spin on this though. We don't really know the truth and witnesses are subject to depositions and cross-examination for a reason. IIRC, the sworn evidence you speak of was made in an attempt to get FA to pay for their university expenses without providing information that FA would typically be entitled to. 2 of the 3 kids at issue are reportedly in graduate school with one being overseas and another in med school so we're not even talking about putting his kids through university. If they don't want daddy's money then take out a student loan. If they do want daddy's money then comply with their disclosure obligations. Or threaten to expose/accuse him for child abuse if he doesn't pay up. That's what @Chairman Maouth was referring to about credibility issues.

FA is claiming redacted receipts including a $48,000 computer, airfare, and student housing expenses without knowing where the kids are studying, what they are studying, whether they are regularly attending classes, and whether those receipts belong to the kids etc. I haven't read anything where the kids or the ex-wife has come out and denied this. Instead the kids are claiming abuse as reason to not give FA any of that info.

These are rich people squabbles but I don't blame FA here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can we please keep this respectful and stay on topic everybody, it’s been getting a bit testy in the last few pages.

I would really appreciate it, if you guys could do this for me.

Cheers👍
Respectful and staying on topic are two different things. I can do the respectful part for you but staying on topic is a big ask. ;)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
My concern is that Aqua, after this next 3 years under Rutherford, deems he has "learned" from Rutherford and re-assumes his *unofficial* team president role like with Benning. In fact, the thought of that terrifies me to no end. But it would be entertaining.

during the endless (and occasionally ongoing) rehashing of what went wrong post-2011, i made the comparison of the gillis era to the charlie kaufmann movie adaptation, where midway through yoi realize that what you’re watching is no longer being written by the nerdy writer brother and the stupid brother has taken over.

1705770212948.jpeg

in this three more years of “learning” scenario, this would be like… the plot of billy madison?

1705770128068.gif

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Great signing. Ever since Rutherford signed in Vancouver everything turned into gold. Making Allvin the general manager, Tochett the coach. Bringing in Foote and Gonchar into the coaching staff. Rutherford set goals, and achieves them. How he and Allvin taken this beaten down roster and turn it around so quickly is nothing short of amazing. I thought it would of taken a half of dozen years longer to get to this point. Outstanding job and a very good signing. Rutherford definitely has the Midas touch.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Seems like this is pretty universally liked move amongst canucks fans and it's only being panned by other teams fans.

Reactions: Flik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad