Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Chris Higgins to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
do we actually know the cap is reaching 64.3 and not 64.3 + league growth? I can't remember ever seeing official numbers

Wizeman*

This is a good price. yes, it does make me wonder what it means for Mason Raymond.

MayRay had better consider re signing quickly.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
versatile guy, inconsistent at times. I suppose those two things go hand in hand. if he's playing well he gets time on the 2nd line and 2nd pp unit, if he's not playing well he's on the 3rd line or even 4th. if he was a consistent 2nd liner, he'd be paid a lot more. we're not seeing the push from our youth you might expect to challenge guys like Higgins when he isn't playing his best, so at that point the alternative is to be patient (which doesn't really fit with trying to win now) or fill his spot via unrestricted free agency which in my opinion, would yield less value

Dado

For $2.5M, I can live with some inconsistency. Seems like a decent signing, pending details on the NTC.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
do we actually know the cap is reaching 64.3 and not 64.3 + league growth? I can't remember ever seeing official numbers

$64.3M is set in stone for 13/14. After that it's the higher of $64.3M or 50% of HRR + 15% .

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Does this make sense, or could someone correct me if I have values wrong? Here is what I see our 22 man active roster looking like next season. And yes, I am really seriously doubting that David Booth is being bought out.

F
Sedin 6.1
Sedin 6.1
Kesler 5.0
Burrows 4.5
Booth 4.25
Higgins 2.5
Hansen 1.35
Kassian 0.8
Schroeder 1.0
EMPTY
EMPTY
EMPTY
EMPTY

D
Edler 5.0
Bieksa 4.6
Garrison 4.6
Hamhuis 4.5
Tanev 1.7
EMPTY
EMPTY

G
Schneider 4.0
Backup 0.6

Total: $56.6M - 7.7 million in cap space for next year.

Missing: 1 D, 3F on the roster, and I expect another D and F in the press box.

I am guessing you could get Pinozotto and Weise back for about 600-700k per, and Lapierre back for about 1M. Barker and Alberts (or their equivalent 6-7 defensemen in free agency) for about 1.7M combined. That's problem solved for ~$4M to $4.5M, and leaves $3.2M to $3.7M in cap space.

Soooo... Basically seems certain that we can't afford to re-sign Derek Roy. any chance we can keep Raymond?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I disagree with the idea that Higgins signed for less though. Cap is going down by $6M*30 teams - that's $180M just on the ceiling.

Meanwhile, according to capgeek there's $388M of UFA and $282M of RFA coming up in the offseason.

Even if I cut it off at players who make $1M minimum (assuming guys under that salary are 100% bubble and might not even make the NHL anyways) I get $267M and $89M respectively.

Let's say the RFA's don't count and the UFA's are all re-signed at a number proportional to the decrease in the cap ceiling - 64.3/70.2 = 8.5% haircut.

So Higgins would probably make more like $1.74M on the open market going by that.

Not a good time to be a free agent in the next two years.

Canuxx

VANuck
May 27, 2012
I love this!!! Higgy is way too underrated IMO. He's the hardest worker on the ice.

Glad to see him re-up

King of the ES*

I really don't understand the strategy of giving long-term, NTC-attached deals to fringe players like Higgins & Garrison. Yes, I'm aware that it's a limited NTC, but it is still a factor in any future deals that is not in our favor.

Not a horrible signing, like Garrison's (IMO), but hardly one that's worth getting excited about, and, in fact, I'd call it overall not very good. Too many Higgins' on this team already.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I really don't understand the strategy of giving long-term, NTC-attached deals to fringe players like Higgins & Garrison. Yes, I'm aware that it's a limited NTC, but it is still a factor in any future deals that is not in our favor.

Not a horrible signing, but hardly one that's worth getting excited about IMO.

Because that's what you need to do to make those deals happen?

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
I disagree with the idea that Higgins signed for less though. Cap is going down by $6M*30 teams - that's $180M just on the ceiling.

Meanwhile, according to capgeek there's $388M of UFA and $282M of RFA coming up in the offseason.

Even if I cut it off at players who make $1M minimum (assuming guys under that salary are 100% bubble and might not even make the NHL anyways) I get $267M and $89M respectively.

Let's say the RFA's don't count and the UFA's are all re-signed at a number proportional to the decrease in the cap ceiling - 64.3/70.2 = 8.5% haircut.

So Higgins would probably make more like $1.74M on the open market going by that.

I think a guy like Higgins will still get pretty good money. You're going to see some buyouts this summer which will help teams offset the lower cap, and I think what you'll also see is more of a dropoff in salary between guys who can produce 2nd-line numbers, like Higgins, and guys who aren't quite at that level. I think teams will see the value in players like Higgins who are versatile and can give you some offense without the team having to get into the 4M-plus range.

arsmaster*

All that math, you just have to look at what Scottie Upshall, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Tomas Kopecky all signed for 2-3 years ago when the cap was comparable.

Higgins was already here cheap, and would have gotten paid on the open market, that is how free agency works.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
All that math, you just have to look at what Scottie Upshall, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Tomas Kopecky all signed for 2-3 years ago when the cap was comparable.

Higgins was already here cheap, and would have gotten paid on the open market, that is how free agency works.

Yeah but the cap then was stable or going up. This is a case where teams have to make do with less than they are used to.

I understand where you're coming from but I disagree - there is so much salary coming up out there that as a UFA you run a real risk of taking a paycut and/or going to a less than desirable location.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Great signing.

Like Gilman said, Higgins is a great #7 forward essentially. $2.5M is solid value for a ~20g scorer alone. Add in the versatility, ability to play on a defensive shutdown line or slide up to the top-6, the ability to fit with Kesler (which appears rare), the PK utility, ability to not look out of place on the PP, play with the Sedins in a pinch or even at center if desperate. Just outstanding versatility, while also bringing decent size, hits, and constant hustle.

The sort of 'complementary player' you win with.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Love it. He's played his heart out every time he stepped on the ice as a Canuck and is the sort of player that will come up with a hard-working shift when everyone else is looking flat.

Agreed that he's the perfect #7. Not quite a Top 6 player but can occasionally fill in if there are injuries. It's a good benchmark for a future Hansen extension, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad