Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Chris Higgins to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't think this is the reason, but it is extremely unlikely unless he's willing to take a significant haircut.

I dunno, with those golden curls of his I think he's better off not doing that. ;)

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's a good price and term - solidifies the forward situation moving ahead. going free agents would iffy and probably expensive. You need to re-sign your own at decent rates and that was done.

Now let's get Raymond done..

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I like it. Higgins does a lot for this team. Can move from the first line to the fourth. Kills penalties - scores goals. Can set up as well. Great versatile forward who want's to be here. He could have gotten more as a UFA. I like Higgins he seems like a good person.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Old news, Higgins' brother broke this signing last night. :sarcasm: Anyways, happy to have Higgy back. Love him in the playoffs, and is a nice depth player that can fill a top six role temporarily.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
That's a good price and term - solidifies the forward situation moving ahead. going free agents would iffy and probably expensive. You need to re-sign your own at decent rates and that was done.

Now let's get Raymond done..

i wish, but its looking more and more like hes gonna walk

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Excellent deal. Higgins is a player you need. Can play anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th line in any role, while on a 40 point pace. Can PK. Can play 2nd unit PP. Can play centre in a pinch. 2.5 is excellent value.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Very happy with this signing. He was the basically the only Canuck on the ice last night that gave me any reason for hope in that game.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Signing complimentary players who are (about) 30 years old to long term contracts (with NT protection) is what got Calgary where they are today.

Those types of contracts need to go to complimentary players who are 25 years old who still have some upside.

The failure of the Canucks to not have those types of players available, forcing them to sign Higgins to this type of contract, is what will eventually lead them into Calgary land.

There is nothing wrong with Higgins per se. But he's as good as he's going to get, and will play worse at the end of his contract than he does now. He offers zero upside. And the Canucks will get less value from this contract as the years go by.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Gotta love the guys who take the home town discount to play here.

Funny, don't seem to hear about this happening regular anywhere else.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Clearly this historic occasion was video-worthy. :sarcasm:

Good for Higgins to get some term stability. He seems to be a good guy and often comes up big in clutch situations. I've got to wonder though what this means for Raymond? He's been on a 20g 20a pace this season (pace extended to 82 games obviously).

mattybip

May 11, 2010
Vancouver BC
I'm 100% OK with this. Higgins has really proved himself to be an important role on our team. He has times when he looks like one of our best forwards out there, and is by no means a liability at all. So right on!

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
Signing complimentary players who are (about) 30 years old to long term contracts (with NT protection) is what got Calgary where they are today.

Those types of contracts need to go to complimentary players who are 25 years old who still have some upside.

The failure of the Canucks to not have those types of players available, forcing them to sign Higgins to this type of contract, is what will eventually lead them into Calgary land.

There is nothing wrong with Higgins per se. But he's as good as he's going to get, and will play worse at the end of his contract than he does now. He offers zero upside. And the Canucks will get less value from this contract as the years go by.

Maybe I'm missing something: can someone cite a legit source that there's a NTC or NMC limited or otherwise in this contract?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'd say having a revolving door policy on coaches had a more negative impact on the Flames.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Not drafting a top 6 forward since 1992 is what got the Flames where they are today.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Clearly this historic occasion was video-worthy. :sarcasm:

Good for Higgins to get some term stability. He seems to be a good guy and often comes up big in clutch situations. I've got to wonder though what this means for Raymond? He's been on a 20g 20a pace this season (pace extended to 82 games obviously).

New rule in the CBA, article 23 under player contracts states, when a player signs a new contract or extension of a current contract, that contract will be subject to "picks or it didn't happen"

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
how can someone complain about this? We don't have anyone ready yet to come in and take over

That's the problem.

You take a 30 year old player who will give you less (in the future) than he's been giving you, pay him more than you've been paying him, and operate in a league where the cap is going down.

How will the Canucks get better in this situation?

You need to fill these roles with 25 year old players who may actually improve over the life of their contract.

The Canucks failure is in not having cheaper alternatives. So you plug your nose and sign an OK player to a contract which is guaranteed to give you less value per dollar than you've been getting. It simply doesn't make the team better.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That's the problem.

You take a 30 year old player who will give you less (in the future) than he's been giving you, pay him more than you've been paying him, and operate in a league where the cap is going down.

How will the Canucks get better in this situation?

You need to fill these roles with 25 year old players who may actually improve over the life of their contract.

The Canucks failure is in not having cheaper alternatives. So you plug your nose and sign an OK player to a contract which is guaranteed to give you less value per dollar than you've been getting. It simply doesn't make the team better.

Higgins has proven to be more than just 'an OK player'. That, and the cap will rise after next year's drop too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->