Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Chris Higgins to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

Back in 94

In Gillis I trust
Jul 21, 2007
Clearly this historic occasion was video-worthy. :sarcasm:

Good for Higgins to get some term stability. He seems to be a good guy and often comes up big in clutch situations. I've got to wonder though what this means for Raymond? He's been on a 20g 20a pace this season (pace extended to 82 games obviously).

That ending was so awkward.:laugh:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Higgins has proven to be more than just 'an OK player'. That, and the cap will rise after next year's drop too.

I'm not sure what your definition of "more than an OK player" is, but it's much lower than mine.

The fact is, the Canucks are paying more to get less. It's not a winning philosophy.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Higgins is lucky they don't have the early 90's management team around. Empty room and the camera there to pressure him into just signing without looking to make it good tv. You know that Quinn would have switched the papers somehow and Higgins would be on a minimum contract until he's 35.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How about not getting Iginla a ***** center for the entire time he was a Flame?:laugh:

untrue. they had a legit number one playmaking center who had shown chemistry with a young iginla. then just as iginla was becoming beast mode iginla, they alienated that guy (was it a low-ball contract? i can't totally remember) then traded him for ruslan zainullin. good times.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not sure what your definition of "more than an OK player" is, but it's much lower than mine.

The fact is, the Canucks are paying more to get less. It's not a winning philosophy.

It's certainly more than yours - you called him an OK player. Do you think they're getting less with Burrows? He's older and is also on a 4 year deal.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
untrue. they had a legit number one playmaking center who had shown chemistry with a young iginla. then just as iginla was becoming beast mode iginla, they alienated that guy (was it a low-ball contract? i can't totally remember) then traded him for ruslan zainullin. good times.

lol the savard deal

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Higgins is lucky they don't have the early 90's management team around. Empty room and the camera there to pressure him into just signing without looking to make it good tv. You know that Quinn would have switched the papers somehow and Higgins would be on a minimum contract until he's 35.

:biglaugh:

And they'd drag him out of bed at 4 in the morning to sign the deal or it's off the table.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
lol the savard deal

And to think they never had a No. 1 center who could set up Iginla... You just have to laugh at Calgary. Not only did they trade him away for Zaynullin - he never even came over. :laugh:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, it's funny that the Flames went 20 years without drafting a legitimate top forward, and then when they get a couple future elite players in Savard and St. Louis they threw them away for nothing.

It's actually mildly impressive that they were able to remain competitive through the mid '00s given how pathetic their drafting was over the last 2 decades.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, it's funny that the Flames went 20 years without drafting a legitimate top forward, and then when they get a couple future elite players in Savard and St. Louis they threw them away for nothing.

It's actually mildly impressive that they were able to remain competitive through the mid '00s given how pathetic their drafting was over the last 2 decades.

"Size".

They should have been much better than they were over the past decade with those 2. Though I think it was mainly their team defense that kept them in it every year.

LolClarkson*

Signing complimentary players who are (about) 30 years old to long term contracts (with NT protection) is what got Calgary where they are today.

Those types of contracts need to go to complimentary players who are 25 years old who still have some upside.

The failure of the Canucks to not have those types of players available, forcing them to sign Higgins to this type of contract, is what will eventually lead them into Calgary land.

There is nothing wrong with Higgins per se. But he's as good as he's going to get, and will play worse at the end of his contract than he does now. He offers zero upside. And the Canucks will get less value from this contract as the years go by.

4 years is not a long term deal.

You don't sign 2.5 million dollar forwards for upside.

Catch

Feb 7, 2012
1697653qajcbkvv2.jpg
maximus-russell-crowe-in-gladiator-7.jpg

Anyone else see a resemblance?
Maximus Higgins for 4 more years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad