Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Travis Hamonic to 2-Year, $6M Deal ($3M AAV)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'm not getting into the Benning-Aqua debate they morons. However nothing "smart" about any of these salaries but it's all relative to what the market is. The market was even higher for Hamonic but he really wanted to stay here. I wish we were in a position to not have to be here and have guys coming up into the system that could take these roles but we don't.
Yeah I'm actually positive about this signing. I just have my expectations in check. Decent #5 guy. I worry about how the top four will play (even moreso though if Hamonic is up there full-time instead of the occasional game/in case injuries pile up).

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I'm not getting into the Benning-Aqua debate they morons. However nothing "smart" about any of these salaries but it's all relative to what the market is. The market was even higher for Hamonic but he really wanted to stay here. I wish we were in a position to not have to be here and have guys coming up into the system that could take these roles but we don't.
Jeez dude i get that the market says this is fair. I am saying that i dont give a shit what the market says and would ideally go for some NCAA who may be hidden gems and if not, they help the tank, rather then sign these deals we have for Poolman and Hammonic.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Jeez dude i get that the market says this is fair. I am saying that i dont give a shit what the market says and would ideally go for some NCAA who may be hidden gems and if not, they help the tank, rather then sign these deals we have for Poolman and Hammonic.
Jeez dude how long before guys like Horvat, Miller, Hughes, Pettersson, and anyone worth a scent gives up thinking were the next Sabres?? You can't just keep tanking without repercussions. The players can only take so much before wanna leave. I'd love to not sign bottom-tier players myself but the odds of finding even replacement-level players let alone someone your hoping can play 4-6 Dman minutes in NHL is very low. I mean sure you can get lucky but the odds are astronomical.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Jeez dude how long before guys like Horvat, Miller, Hughes, Pettersson, and anyone worth a scent gives up thinking were the next Sabres?? You can't just keep tanking without repercussions. The players can only take so much before wanna leave. I'd love to not sign bottom-tier players myself but the odds of finding even replacement-level players let alone someone your hoping can play 4-6 Dman minutes in NHL is very low. I mean sure you can get lucky but the odds are astronomical.
And if these signings dont work out we Become the next Sabres anyways. This time though the players probably get even more mad.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And if these signings dont work out we Become the next Sabres anyways. This time though the players probably get even more mad.
Exactly! The players were already upset with the last off season’s terrible management. Now Benning makes even more crappy mistakes. Hughes, Peterson, Bo, Miller will be saying bye bye

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Really happy to have Travis back. He's exactly what we need at his best he just may not have the wheels to be a top2 pair guy and stay effective for 20-22 minutes and 82 at 31

Ultimate team guy. Tough as nails, good fair contract always wanted this player to be completely honest. Thought Calgary overpaid but it did show at the time how much he was respected around the league at the time

Lets hope the wheels don't fall off and the way he finished with Quinn was a pre cursor for a couple good seasons.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't see how this is a reasonable contract at $3MM AAV. I don't care how much he improved, it wasn't good enough to warrant much more than $1.5M.
Jim-Benning-draft.jpg

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

The Canucks have never tanked since Benning has been here. We DO have players that want out. Schmidt played here one year and bailed. Edler, one of the longest-serving Canucks ever, owner of several franchise records for dmen just followed him out the door, and not for a good team either. After years of refusing to waive his NTC at the trade deadline, this last year was the end for him. What do you think that says? The Canucks are still pursuing a strategy that has failed for years. Hey wow, gee whizz, maybe the players are looking at these lineup decisions and realizing we already are Buffalo west.

Reactions: mossey3535

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The Canucks have never tanked since Benning has been here. We DO have players that want out. Schmidt played here one year and bailed. Edler, one of the longest-serving Canucks ever, owner of several franchise records for dmen just followed him out the door, and not for a good team either. After years of refusing to waive his NTC at the trade deadline, this last year was the end for him. What do you think that says? The Canucks are still pursuing a strategy that has failed for years. Hey wow, gee whizz, maybe the players are looking at these lineup decisions and realizing we already are Buffalo west.

Forgetting the argument about how bad the management decisions have been of late, do you really think Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Hughes are thinking let's tank for a couple of years to draft high and get good players for years down the road? Or do you think they want a GM who will try to bring in good players to help them?

Note, I didn't give you option 3 of they also hate Benning and want out already, which may be the answer.

Which of try vs tank do you think the players are more comfortable embracing?

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Never tanking intentionally yes but thanks to Jimbo's plan it's happened anyways. I was responding to a poster whose not happy with the Hamonic deal and said would prefer taking chance on some NCAA prospect or something. As per players wanting out yes something is brewing and doesn't seem good however until the owner makes a decision on the GM or sells its what we got. Signing Poolman and Hamonic though not the best for the roles they need to fill are still much better than not signing them. Am I happy with team no but I'm a fan so I follow hoping for the best. I do hope Benning is gone and the owner to sooner than later.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Forgetting the argument about how bad the management decisions have been of late, do you really think Horvat, Petey, Boeser, Hughes are thinking let's tank for a couple of years to draft high and get good players for years down the road? Or do you think they want a GM who will try to bring in good players to help them?

Note, I didn't give you option 3 of they also hate Benning and want out already, which may be the answer.

Which of try vs tank do you think the players are more comfortable embracing?

I think Horvat, Pete et al are more than capable of looking at the lineup and forming their own conclusions. They've watched Markstrom, Tanev, Edler, Schmidt and Toffoli all walk out the door in the last year and only a 3rd round pick come back for them. Is that bringing in good players to help them? You think these guys don't know who OEL is? I guarantee you they know better than us.

This team has NEVER tried to rebuild or tank while Benning has been here. The team's been trying for seven years and failed to compete. It's failed to build a good enough team for the present, and it's failed to leave any assets for the future. It's a bottom ten team that's traded its last two first round picks. How insane is that? After all the shortcuts have led to nowhere, now we have to act like they were really trying to rebuild all along and it's time to fully commit to the present and go for it? Or else the players will lose faith and want out?

We're already there. Open your eyes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think Horvat, Pete et al are more than capable of looking at the lineup and forming their own conclusions. They've watched Markstrom, Tanev, Edler, Schmidt and Toffoli all walk out the door in the last year and only a 3rd round pick come back for them. Is that bringing in good players to help them? You think these guys don't know who OEL is? I guarantee you they know better than us.

This team has NEVER tried to rebuild or tank while Benning has been here. The team's been trying for seven years and failed to compete. It's failed to build a good enough team for the present, and it's failed to leave any assets for the future. It's a bottom ten team that's traded its last two first round picks. How insane is that? After all the shortcuts have led to nowhere, now we have to act like they were really trying to rebuild all along and it's time to fully commit to the present and go for it? Or else the players will lose faith and want out?

We're already there. Open your eyes.
I'm sure that Pete, Horvat etc are also aware that Marky ,Tanev ,Schmidt,Edler and Toffoli are in the 30-35 year old bracket..UFA years..This is what happens to professional hockey players.

Benning was hired to get the team in the playoffs in 2014..There wasnt going to be a classic rebuild..you know this already...The team did not try to compete in 2017-18, 2018-19.

Last year was a terrible start , and a terrible finish (covid induced)...Are they a bottom 10 team this year?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I'm sure that Pete, Horvat etc are also aware that Marky ,Tanev ,Schmidt,Edler and Toffoli are in the 30-35 year old bracket..UFA years..This is what happens to professional hockey players.

Benning was hired to get the team in the playoffs in 2014..There wasnt going to be a classic rebuild..you know this already...The team did not try to compete in 2017-18, 2018-19.

Last year was a terrible start , and a terrible finish (covid induced)...Are they a bottom 10 team this year?

If someone says rebuild in your immediate vicinity are you programmed to automatically start talking about 2014, unprompted?

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Why do you bother engaging in discussion here at all? This is a Hamonic thread. There's no point coming here and saying you don't care if the deal for Hamonic is FMV or whether he is a good signing because you prefer some NCAA unproven Dman instead of Hamonic.

But to further your point, Hamonic is actually the type of Dman that rebuilding teams would sign. He's an affordable veteran Dman who won't, by himself, win many games for the team and he is a player that could easily be dealt.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's endlessly funny how you just totally write off 3 years of complete incompetence as if it was written in the stars and the forces of the universe caused it to happen, and nothing could be done about it and nobody should be held accountable.

Our plan was a decision that was made. Jim Benning championed and supported that plan. And then executed it terribly. He does not escape blame either from the incompetence of the plan or the incompetence of the execution.

And by the way, Detroit was able to rebuild with Swedish future HHOF Zetterberg in place with multiple years remaining on his contract and NYR were able to rebuild with Swedish future HHOF Lundqvist in place with multiple years remaining on his contract.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's endlessly funny how you just totally write off 3 years of complete incompetence as if it was written in the stars and the forces of the universe caused it to happen, and nothing could be done about it and nobody should be held accountable.

Our plan was a decision that was made. Jim Benning championed and supported that plan. And then executed it terribly. He does not escape blame either from the incompetence of the plan or the incompetence of the execution.

And by the way, Detroit was able to rebuild with Swedish future HHOF Zetterberg in place with multiple years remaining on his contract and NYR were able to rebuild with Swedish future HHOF Lundqvist in place with multiple years remaining on his contract.
How often do we need to hear that we didnt do a proper rebuild..?..Who was saying that Benning didnt support the plan..?..A deeper dive tells you that a lot of the decision making wasnt all him in the first 3-4 years..Ownership knows this, and thats why they have been lenient with him..Obviously, you're going to blame Benning for everything..I mean you are the one that has a weird obsessive pathological hatred of the man ..arent you?

Detroit is still rebuilding..heading into year six with no post season, and still years away...Rangers are going into year five, and didnt look that great last season, and looked absolutely brutal in the play-ins in 2020.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How often do we need to hear that we didnt do a proper rebuild..?..Who was saying that Benning didnt support the plan..?..A deeper dive tells you that a lot of the decision making wasnt all him in the first 3-4 years..Ownership knows this, and thats why they have been lenient with him..Obviously, you're going to blame Benning for everything..I mean you are the one that has a weird obsessive pathological hatred of the man ..arent you?

Detroit is still rebuilding..heading into year six with no post season, and still years away...Rangers are going into year five, and didnt look that great last season, and looked absolutely brutal in the play-ins in 2020.

You are attempting to use ownership/Sedins to excuse Benning from blame a plan that he was an architect of and that he executed in hilariously incompetent fashion.

NYR were miles ahead of us last year in year 3.5 (they decided to tear down just ahead of the 2018 deadline). We're going into year 7. Or year 9, depending on your view.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You are attempting to use ownership/Sedins to excuse Benning from blame a plan that he was an architect of and that he executed in hilariously incompetent fashion.

NYR were miles ahead of us last year in year 3.5 (they decided to tear down just ahead of the 2018 deadline). We're going into year 7. Or year 9, depending on your view.

Don't forget Linden. The evil architect who was the one truly responsible for everything bad.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don't forget Linden. The evil architect who was the one truly responsible for everything bad.

Yes, the guy who actually realized the plan was failing and managed to force a shift to a sort-of rebuild in 2017 - only to be ousted by a power-play by Benning/Weisbrod to revert back to trying to compete now - is somehow the reason we didn't rebuild. It's astonishing that anyone can believe this.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Yes, the guy who actually realized the plan was failing and managed to force a shift to a sort-of rebuild in 2017 - only to be ousted by a power-play by Benning/Weisbrod to revert back to trying to compete now - is somehow the reason we didn't rebuild. It's astonishing that anyone can believe this.

Elliptical Salesman Bullies Hockey Exec with 40 Years of Experience

Or,

Experienced Hockey Exec and Experienced Boy Wonder Sidekick Makes Powerplay Around Guy Hawking Gym Memberships

I know which one sounds more compelling!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Am I..? or am I saying that there wasnt ever going to a 'classic' rebuild ..... No matter who the f*** became the GM, they would have been tasked to make the playoffs.(with a core veering on retirement, and an empty prospect pool).from the time they were hired to the end of the Sedin contract.

Again, the grass is always greener anywhere else but here ..am I right...?..It doesnt hurt to accelerate your rebuild when you win the lottery twice, and have key elite players literally fall in your lap...and they're still not that good...I'm looking forward to seeing how the Canucks match up to the NYR next season.

Anyway, this is the Hamonic thread..which is rapidly turning into the whinging about management thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad