Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Travis Hamonic to 2-Year, $6M Deal ($3M AAV)

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Did Hamonic have a positive affect on Hughes' defensive stats? That's really what I care about right now. If I were GM I would spend a lot of resources to make sure Hughes reaches his lofty rookie potential.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean...I won't say anything negative about this signing because all the BenningBros will jump on my back for being "biased" or "negative" (despite me praising the Sutter, Schenn, and Petan signings).

So I'll say...uhh...it's better than the Poolman deal.

Reactions: mossey3535

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hamonic will be leaned on, it seems, as our primary defensive anchor. Likely paired with Hughes, I would guess, though the D pairings are difficult to surmise. Myers is the big problem - who do you put with him? An OEL-Myers combo does not seem like a good idea, nor would I want to stick Rathbone with him.

I am guessing:
OEL Myers
Hughes Hamonic
Rathbone Poolman
(Juolevi Schenn)

I'm obviously in favour of trying to trade Myers and bump the others up on spot, but I don't believe it will happen).

This is a horrific defense. Who's the best defensive defenseman in this group? Hamonic? :huh:

Reactions: ziploc

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm indifferent about this. I'm not nearly as confident in him or his abilities as some around here seem to be. Don't like the added year of commitment nor do I like the AVV, but that's likely what it took to get it done given the cash being thrown around today.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
1M more than Jordie Benn. Also compared to Ceci, I like the deal. Hamonic might be a better fit next to OEL than Hughes, I feel like Poolman has better puck skills and transition ability which fits Hughes better.

The right side is fine, people act like it's easy to find good defencemen. There's 32 teams in the league, each team needs 2 good RHD. It's difficult to find top 4 RHD, it used to be easier 30 years ago with only 20 teams.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
1M more than Jordie Benn. Also compared to Ceci, I like the deal. Hamonic might be a better fit next to OEL than Hughes, I feel like Poolman has better puck skills and transition ability which fits Hughes better.

The right side is fine, people act like it's easy to find good defencemen. There's 32 teams in the league, each team needs 2 good RHD. It's difficult to find top 4 RHD, it used to be easier 30 years ago with only 20 teams.

God I wish we kept tanev.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems like an okay deal. Not great, and obviously not as nice as that sweetheart deal he was on last year due to outside circumstances. Was obviously not going to continue playing on that kind of discounted deal though. $3M isn't great or anything, but it's well within the pretty established ballpark for these sort of #4ish defensive D. Two years term is fine as well. He's one of the few true RHS options that was out there as a UFA, and is at least already familiar with whatever nonsensical system Green allegedly has in place here. So that's a small value-added perk, avoiding the "adjustment period" of having to bring a new guy in and have them learn how to play entirely without structure.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Every time I think RDFD I can't believe we just let Tanev walk for no reason.

Now we're scrambling to replace exactly what he brought. Complete incompetence.

Oh well, moving on...

This seems okay at best. Should be fine if he can stay healthy (although I don't know how good those chances are).

This defence is bad unless OEL regains his elite form and guys like Myers and Hamonic have good years.

OEL - Myers or OEL - Hamonic as the top pair, given what we've seen from these guys over the past couple seasons, is scary.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
He improved as year went on. Was needed on this team. Tanev stayed healthy last year, but he really is not the answer for Canucks either has his puck movement was declining. Amazingly Tanev has scored 2 goals exactly almost every year of his career.

Reactions: Get North

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Every time I think RDFD I can't believe we just let Tanev walk for no reason.

Now we're scrambling to replace exactly what he brought. Complete incompetence.

Oh well, moving on...

This seems okay at best. Should be fine if he can stay healthy (although I don't know how good those chances are).

This defence is bad unless OEL regains his elite form and guys like Myers and Hamonic have good years.

OEL - Myers or OEL - Hamonic as the top pair, given what we've seen from these guys over the past couple seasons, is scary.

We've basically downgraded from Tanev to Hamonic for about 1.5 million.

This is with these caveats as well:
  • Assuming that Hamonic will be healthier than Tanev
  • Tanev would not have taken a hometown discount if negotiated with fairly
  • Tanev bled Canuck colors,
  • Tanev was a glue guy on and off the ice (something coach/GM should have been keenly aware of)
  • Most importantly, when he was playing with your young dman people were projecting Norris trophies and "best dman in team history".

Reactions: kanucks25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->