Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Travis Hamonic to 2-Year, $6M Deal ($3M AAV)

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
OEL - Myers or OEL - Hamonic as the top pair, given what we've seen from these guys over the past couple seasons, is scary.

For sure, whoever is playing against first lines is going to get crushed defensively, doesn't matter who it is. Hope rests on whether or not the 2nd and 3rd pairs hold their own, the goaltending is strong and the forwards score enough to offset the damage that other teams' first lines will wreak upon the Canucks.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Capfriendly shows this contract now as 2.94m/year.

Benning saving big cap space lol.

With partial trade protection (8 teams) and impossible to buy out after next year.

I really don't get what people see in this player. Hamonic-Hughes was a disaster last season IMO.

Reactions: mossey3535

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
With partial trade protection (8 teams) and impossible to buy out after next year.

I really don't get what people see in this player. Hamonic-Hughes was a disaster last season IMO.

I think the hope is Hughes has chemistry with Poolman.

It's not a great contract but it's not bad - Hamonic is that elusive right side and plays a responsible game. You didn't see that last year?

Reactions: HockeyNightInAsia

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think the hope is Hughes has chemistry with Poolman.

It's not a great contract but it's not bad - Hamonic is that elusive right side and plays a responsible game. You didn't see that last year?

Not really no. I watched more in the early season than I did the late season, being honest. He looked like utter trash in most of the games I saw.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Not really no. I watched more in the early season than I did the late season, being honest. He looked like utter trash in most of the games I saw.

He was genuinely okay in the last half of the season. Not as a good as his contract, obviously, but nowhere near as offensively bad as he was in the early season when the entire team was a complete dog's breakfast.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I think if people watched the first half of last season without context you could quite rightly say yeah he sucks.

Which of our players DIDN'T Suck to start the season? Hoglander maybe? Our entire team, including our superstars, was trash.

He definitely upped his game in the second half. Hoping he continues to trend in a positive direction.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I agree in that Hamonic is not a guy you want playing Quinn Hughes minutes. Sure, yes a defensive defensemen, but he’s better served on the bottom pairing. In my opinion, you want Hughes playing more even strength minutes than Hamonic and there lies the problem.

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Old article but it's a nice counter to Schmidt's experience in Vancouver. I am surprised that he didn't push for more for an NTC. Good to know that he and his family like it here.
According to Dhaliwal...he could have got more $ elsewhere in UFA (above and beyond $3M)..There was a big market for him.
He really wanted to play for the Canucks.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
According to Dhaliwal...he could have got more $ elsewhere in UFA (above and beyond $3M)..There was a big market for him.
He really wanted to play for the Canucks.

Yeah, he'd be overpaid but the market for UFA RHD who can be serviceable with his experience would place him higher than $3M, so it's not nothing that he took a discount to stay, even if it's not GREAT value. Don't think we had any better options at that price point anyway.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
For those of us still hung over Tanev. An interesting cap comparison next year is poolman + hamonic vs Tanev. Since they are where his money and term went to.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
For those of us still hung over Tanev. An interesting cap comparison next year is poolman + hamonic vs Tanev. Since they are where his money and term went to.
Actually I see it as
Poolman (2.5) + Hamonic (3) vs Tanev (5.5) + Benn (2 - unsigned) ...just another way of looking at it

Reactions: DS7 and Sinistril

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

With Tanev, the concern was always years 3 and 4. I don't think anyone ever questioned that, assuming he remained healthy (big asterix) he would be much better than his replacement years 1 and 2.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
With Tanev, the concern was always years 3 and 4. I don't think anyone ever questioned that, assuming he remained healthy (big asterix) he would be much better than his replacement years 1 and 2.

idk, I thought his body had taken a lot of punishment and he was a good candidate to just completely fall apart at a moments notice. But it was probably worth the risk.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't see how this is a reasonable contract at $3MM AAV. I don't care how much he improved, it wasn't good enough to warrant much more than $1.5M.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Sure, GMs are overpaying in UFA....but they always do that. Doesn't mean you have to, especially when what he brings to the team was marginal. Even if you cloned his second half he's not worth $3M except for the mythical RHD concept.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I don't see how this is a reasonable contract at $3MM AAV. I don't care how much he improved, it wasn't good enough to warrant much more than $1.5M.
Its "reasonable" if you realize that this team has to make playoffs every year. He is probably fairly valued if you look at the massive overpaying going on for Dman right now. Doesn't make it a smart move though.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't think people realize how hard it is to find an RS Dman. They are few and hard to come by so getting one for under 3 is decent especially when we have no else to turn to. This is why it's important to try drafting multiple RHD and try developing your own people just don't let them go when they have a good one.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I don't think people realize how hard it is to find an RS Dman. They are few and hard to come by so getting one for under 3 is decent especially when we have no else to turn to. This is why it's important to try drafting multiple RHD and try developing your own people just don't let them go when they have a good one.
I realize. Thats why i dont think its a smart idea.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This...the exchange rate for RHD is considerable..It was imperative they get a guy they can pair with Hughes..Adam Larsson was my first choice (who could have easily got $5M per year if he had actually tested the market)..but they circled back to Hamonic.

People who thought Hamonic was going to re-sign for $1.5M are in fantasyland.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I understand but question if not him you were comfortable just having Myers, Poolman, and Schenn starting with someone like Hunt or Juolevi being the fill-in? I know we should have never let it become this bad but it is.
Yes, but thats because i am not a GM on the Hot seat. I understand and realize why Benning made these moves, but they are dumb moves. I blame Benning for us being in this situation, but these signings are probably more a symptom of shit ownership and not totally his fault.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Yes, but thats because i am not a GM on the Hot seat. I understand and realize why Benning made these moves, but they are dumb moves. I blame Benning for us being in this situation, but these signings are probably more a symptom of shit ownership and not totally his fault.
I'm not getting into the Benning-Aqua debate they morons. However nothing "smart" about any of these salaries but it's all relative to what the market is. The market was even higher for Hamonic but he really wanted to stay here. I wish we were in a position to not have to be here and have guys coming up into the system that could take these roles but we don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad