Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Alex Edler to 2-Year, $6M AAV Deal

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I worry that Edler might be one of those guys who looked decent one year, and then falls off a cliff the next. It happens to some players in their 30's, and he's played a ton of hockey and battled through a lot of injuries. For all we know, he may have one now. That's all you can really hang your hat on.

Because at times on this road-trip it looks like the game has just passed him by.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I worry that Edler might be one of those guys who looked decent one year, and then falls off a cliff the next. It happens to some players in their 30's, and he's played a ton of hockey and battled through a lot of injuries. For all we know, he may have one now. That's all you can really hang your hat on.

Because at times on this road-trip it looks like the game has just passed him by.
He's still putting up points, but yeah.

It sucks to watch. Shame he stuck with an organization that still needs him to play big minutes into his 30s.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I honestly though the addition of Myers and to an extent of Hughes will lighten the load off of him. 33 year old Alex Elder, is still eating up 25 minutes a night, like wth.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Greens riding him for 25min a game when hes a 20 to 18 minute guy.

the team is in trouble if hes a guy that is getting 25 minutes, and we are a healthy defence current and still is, my gosh what a scary though.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
the team is in trouble if hes a guy that is getting 25 minutes, and we are a healthy defence current and still is, my gosh what a scary though.

Yup. State of drafting and development. A miss on Juolevi and our FA signings aren't actually that good... Edler should be playing 19 a night. I think Green will be forced to lean on Quinn throughout the year. Imagine us with injuries :help:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I honestly though the addition of Myers and to an extent of Hughes will lighten the load off of him. 33 year old Alex Elder, is still eating up 25 minutes a night, like wth.

No one can play the minutes Edler has to. Myers is too soft, Benn is terrible, Quinn and Tanev aren't physical players, Stecher is too small handle the mean crowd or punish consistently. And our extras aren't NHL level. Edler is the only one who can be effective as a physical presence. Benn is supposed to help in that department but opposing teams don't fear someone who can be skated around in circles.

Green plays Edler as much as he does because he has no choice. The blueliners who are supposed to excel away from the puck don't. This is why the Myers signing sucks so much - he's a room temperature defender best suited as a 4-5, yet he's paid to be the yang to the yin. Then we have no room to fit someone better than Benn. And clearly we can't expect guys we know to be too soft/small to suddenly become wrecking balls. The blueline is poorly built and it shows, and I absolutely agree with lawrence's observation - this is not even the final form of terribleness the defense has to offer, because we have no NHL-worthy defensemen to fill in for injuries.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo can keep signing UFA d-men until hell freezes over, and it won't make this team a playoff contender. Look around the league. The best teams draft and develop their own d-man.

Canucks haven't drafted or developed a d-man in over a decade. The only outlier is Quinn Hughes. It's not good enough. And apparently the only guy who can't grasp this is the owner.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Green likes to play his top guys.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Jimbo can keep signing UFA d-men until hell freezes over, and it won't make this team a playoff contender. Look around the league. The best teams draft and develop their own d-man.

Canucks haven't drafted or developed a d-man in over a decade. The only outlier is Quinn Hughes. It's not good enough. And apparently the only guy who can't grasp this is the owner.
In fairness, they did try to draft and develop another dman with a top pick.

5th overall and he immediately went back to junior and looked mediocre. then he went to Finland and looked mediocre. Then he got injured. Then he looked mediocre in the AHL for 18 games before he got injured. Then he was looking mediocre again before he got whatever injury they are refusing to talk about.

If Juolevi panned out as a top 4, then the defense looks reasonable. Maybe don't have to sign Myers to big money.

Instead they get the biggest bust since Reinhart and the next dozen teams at least get NHLers. Juolevi busting f***ed up this team pretty bad. Now they have 1 dman under 25 and not a lot for prospects.

Kinda sucks how they draft a couple of guys who are stars at 20, but the team makeup is so f***ed they will be lucky to ice a competitive team before those guys are 25.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No one can play the minutes Edler has to. Myers is too soft, Benn is terrible, Quinn and Tanev aren't physical players, Stecher is too small handle the mean crowd or punish consistently. And our extras aren't NHL level. Edler is the only one who can be effective as a physical presence. Benn is supposed to help in that department but opposing teams don't fear someone who can be skated around in circles.

Green plays Edler as much as he does because he has no choice. The blueliners who are supposed to excel away from the puck don't. This is why the Myers signing sucks so much - he's a room temperature defender best suited as a 4-5, yet he's paid to be the yang to the yin. Then we have no room to fit someone better than Benn. And clearly we can't expect guys we know to be too soft/small to suddenly become wrecking balls. The blueline is poorly built and it shows, and I absolutely agree with lawrence's observation - this is not even the final form of terribleness the defense has to offer, because we have no NHL-worthy defensemen to fill in for injuries.
Stop defending Travis Green

He could have spread out the minutes during the soft schedule of October, instead he ride Edler 25m a night in f***ing October, he could only blame himself

hcg

Oct 12, 2018

Yeah it really does suck but what else can they do?

They don't have any assets worth trading. They don't have any prospects of note. The defense is old and injury prone. Edler is looking bad, Myers is looking more and more like he could be an Eriksson level bust, Stecher and Benn are bottom pairing guys.

They should say f*** it and trade Edler and Tanev now. This defense isn't going to get better without something changing. Juolevi is a bust. Woo and others are years away if they do make it.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Our defence has struggled since Sutter and Beagle went down. Add to that Motte (who rather shockingly did make the 4th line click), Ferland and Roussel... and that’s 5 forwards down. And while they aren’t our top guys they are vets that provide a lot of structure to our defensive game. So I do wonder if our D are struggling in part because of the forwards. Defence is a 5 man unit.

That said, Green has to find a way to cut down Edler’s minutes.

Reactions: Nomobo

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

It may end up looking exactly like that, though it makes one wonder whether some of the time is due to long-term fatigue.

To use an analogy from other sports, when an endurance athlete overtrains his performance declines and the solution, assuming a clean athlete, is to rest. Training has to be dialed way back for some period of time or the athlete will suffer a slow decline. When athletes don't understand what has happened and try to improve through harder training it just makes things worse and can considerably prolong the time needed to get back to peak performance.

It seems to me very likely that Edler was overcooked earlier this season, then instead of being dialled back he was overcooked some more. His level of play isn't what it was earlier in the season. If he has in fact been overtrained, it's hard to see him getting the rest he needs to get back to peak performance quickly so it could well appear that the game passed him by when if his ice time had been 19-22 minutes a night he'd have been effective.

I doubt that holding him down to 19 minutes a game is going to get him back to normal very quickly at all. While it is hard to see it happening, I think @MS has the right idea thinking in contemplating giving him the odd night off (MS suggested on a back to backs.)

One of the effects of ongoing fatigue is that the likelihood of injury goes up. I would never wish an injury on someone, but paradoxically it might be the only way, in practice, that Edler gets rested.

Even an overtired Edler still does a lot of things right, but on 24-30 minutes a night I don't think he's going to be near peak effectiveness in the long run.

It's a lot like watching Tortorella ride the twins in 2013-14. They were playing big minutes for forwards in the first half of the season while Torts desperately tried to keep the team at a playoff level. Daniel scored 35 points in 41 games before the new year, 12 points in 32 games after. Henrik also had 35 points in 41 games before he new year (27 in 28 games by the end of November,) then he had 15 points in 29 games after the new year. Both were losing effectiveness well before the new year and that effectiveness didn't come back until the next season, when after a summer to rejuvenate the twins played an average of about 2 minutes per game fewer than the previous season.

The twins were 33 years old in 2013-14.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Edler's game has fallen off for sure, but to me this should underline exactly why Benning needs to go. 6 offseasons later, his team still depends on the two guys he inherited and not just depends on them. He's riding them into the ground.

Tanev's been lucky not to get hurt this year. I'm terrified at what the blueline will look like next season if Tanev walks.....probably means Edler's minutes go up even more.

Reactions: tyhee

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Edler's game has fallen off for sure, but to me this should underline exactly why Benning needs to go. 6 offseasons later, his team still depends on the two guys he inherited and not just depends on them. He's riding them into the ground.

Tanev's been lucky not to get hurt this year. I'm terrified at what the blueline will look like next season if Tanev walks.....probably means Edler's minutes go up even more.

Am wondering if the new protective gear has been the difference, when blocking shots.

Reactions: 420Canuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya Edler is still on the 1st unit PP while Quinn Hughes is still riding the bench. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Nomobo

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Alexander Edler last two seasons:
‭85‬ GP
‭14G 37A 51‬ Points +2

Last 82 games if you prefer that metric:
14G 33A 47 points +5

This is the best we have seen Alex Edler play in almost a decade, in spite of the injuries he has had this season and last.
Legitimate top pairing output and performance playing against the league's best players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler sucks according to this board. See far more complaints than compliments.

I think everyone agreed he looked great in October. Then his play fell off considerably and the frustration has been far more with the coaching staff overplaying this older player and burning him out than with the player himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad