Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Alex Edler to 2-Year, $6M AAV Deal

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1 - can't understand comments about expansion draft. He will be an UFA, Seattle can not claim him.
2 - I think the contract is "fair". Not great, but ok. I had hoped for $5M per but probably less than he is worth.
3 - It is likely that he plays another 4 - 5 years with us.
4 - once again we had tons of over the top screams on here that proved to be irrelevant.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Best that could have been expected given the situation - especially given the nightmare scenarios possible here.

Puts the team in a far less needy and vulnerable position heading into free agency. Given their cap room (if spent near correctly) team has the chance to establish a decent defense heading into the season.

One reservation is that last year was a contract year for Edler and maybe that was the central reason for the up-tick in play. Still that cap hit is very reasonable and kudos to Edler for showing some loyalty. (not the commonest commodity these days)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Am I the only one disappointed? Not in the contract per se, but just the signing?

Our defence has been so bad, and we're just bringing back the same crew year after year after year. I was completely ready to move on.

Reactions: 13 others

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Am I the only one disappointed? Not in the contract per se, but just the signing?

Our defence has been so bad, and we're just bringing back the same crew year after year after year. I was completely ready to move on.
Do you have any idea how bad it would be if he wasn't around?

Not only that, but Benning would probably overpay 2 players this summer instead of just the 1 he will probably still overpay for. I'm just sticking to the silver linings at this point. I still can't believe the contract is only 2 years.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

If you're icing 3 decent defensemen and 3 crappy ones night after night, the solution is not to get rid of the 3 good ones.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So many different reports came out that we don't know exactly what went down with the process, but at the end of the day Benning gets to wear this one as a win. But for what you're saying it doesn't help that Edler is probably our easiest guy to negotiate with and we still have Eriksson/Spooner/Beagle/etc on the roster.

There are much better grades to scale him on coming up: signing Boeser and to a lesser extent Hutton, what kind of trades he can pull off to improve the team, what he does in UFA, and how well he can clean up the mess of contracts on the team.
In the next two weeks (or at least over the summer) they have an opportunity to remake their D, get younger and more skilled, add a top 6 scoring winger, and excise themselves from Eriksson's contract. If JB manages to pull all of this off (without signing ugly contracts) he might begin to change the narrative. I don't think he will ever change everyone's mind but he will prevent a lot of people from anticipating his transactions with fear and trepidation.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If you're icing 3 decent defensemen and 3 crappy ones night after night, the solution is not to get rid of the 3 good ones.

It is when one of the good ones is 34 years old.

Like, at two years I'm alright with it, but there's a pretty decent chance Edler falls off as many players his age do and this becomes a problem.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Have you actually seen ANYBODY complain that the deal is two years, or are you just writing fiction?

Where did I say anybody complained about two years? My comment is directed at the posters who either a) give Benning no credit for this deal or b) go out of their way to criticize Benning even after he made what some posters are claiming his best contract signing as a Canuck.

And this is after the general consensus yesterday that a 3 year deal was either ok or better.

It is sad that, just as there are those who will praise Benning no matter what, there are those who will criticize him no matter what. Hence my post.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Where did I say anybody complained about two years? My comment is directed at the posters who either a) give Benning no credit for this deal or b) go out of their way to criticize Benning even after he made what some posters are claiming his best contract signing as a Canuck.

And this is after the general consensus yesterday that a 3 year deal was either ok or better.

It is sad that, just as there are those who will praise Benning no matter what, there are those who will criticize him no matter what. Hence my post.

And hence his post asking where you've seen literally anyone complain about it.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And hence his post asking where you've seen literally anyone complain about it.

Are you being deliberately dense? He asked a rhetorical question to make a straw man argument. He isn't stupid, we can all see from his posting record that he's intelligent enough to know when he is engaging in fair debate or resorting to logical fallacy.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
2 Days ago I thought Edler was a POS screwing us worse the what Kesler did (not waiving at trade deadline saying he didn't want to leave, then not giving the team a home town discount, and chasing cash). now I think he is a straight up man of his word and deserves praise for trying to help this team get better. 4 months ago radio and podcast panelists were saying the best deal the Canucks could hope was a 2 year deal at 7-7.5 but even that was rejected because Eddy would be leaving 8 million on the table if he got a conservative 4 year 5.5 deal as a ufa. This deal has Edler risking at the very least 10 million dollars. An absolute steal for the Canucks and can help them get better. Credit to Jimbo for getting it done. But huge thank you to Forever Canuck Alex Edler, its Ring of honor for you and I hope you get another kick at the can when you re up in two years time.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Are you being deliberately dense? He asked a rhetorical question to make a straw man argument. He isn't stupid, we can all see from his posting record that he's intelligent enough to know when he is engaging in fair debate or resorting to logical fallacy.

Buh?

The only constant on here is there will always be someone complaining that the general reaction isn't positive enough, even when it overwhelmingly is so.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It is when one of the good ones is 34 years old.

Like, at two years I'm alright with it, but there's a pretty decent chance Edler falls off as many players his age do and this becomes a problem.

He'll decline for sure - but "fall off"?

Yeah but in two years I will be very surprised if Edler becomes an outright liability. He may not be able to eat 25 minutes a night against tough matchup - which will screw the team (and probably lead to Benning being fired) but that's a different thing. I respect your overall point, though.

Let's also not overstate his age - he turned 33 a few months ago.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
1 - can't understand comments about expansion draft. He will be an UFA, Seattle can not claim him.

That's not true. They can claim UFA's just as they can claim anyone else, but they have to claim at least X players who are under contract for the following season, with some more specific requirements regarding the distribution of X.

Just as an example, Vegas claimed pending UFA Chris thorburn last time He became a UFA a week later and signed with the Blues.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
He'll decline for sure - but "fall off"?

Yeah but in two years I will be very surprised if Edler becomes an outright liability. He may not be able to eat 25 minutes a night against tough matchup - which will screw the team (and probably lead to Benning being fired) but that's a different thing. I respect your overall point, though.

Let's also not overstate his age - he turned 33 a few months ago.

Yeah, players fall off a cliff sometimes. It's not always a perfect gradual decline. At two years it's probably worth the risk but it's still a risk. When you're 33 and have had loads of injuries, the end can come fast. Just ask Jannik Hansen.

Like I don't think what they did is a huge problem but I can also see pecafans point. Like, the plan is to just keep bringing back Edler and Tanev until they're no good anymore?

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I can definitely appreciate that he left a lot of money on the table just to accommodate the Nucks. Should have never been in doubt because Alex has been nothing but a warrior for this team.

The saltiness from him refusing to waive a clause that he earned should be nonexistent.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
If we had accumulated some good defensive prospects over the last few years we could let Edler go. We havent so we have no choice to bring him back

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I mean you could spend $6 mil on Edler or much more + term on Gardiner...

Who do you want them to go after with that money?

Really the Canucks need to be drafting and developing talent. It's nearly impossible to sign a top D man. You either pay a lot in trading for them or you develop them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad