Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Needless to say... I guess all the love for Talbot that he was getting while Hank struggled last year.. is over?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I get what your saying but the fact that it's a back to back and against such a horrible team it is justifiable to give Cam a breather.

Quick flight to Buffalo, no skate tomorrow morning, and not playing again till Sunday night. He absolutely can play tomorrow.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You start Skapski to give Talbot a breather. Even if Talbot got a shutout tonight, I would still say to start Skapski. If there's any game to play Skapski, it's against Buffalo.

Good point

I don't really care if Skapski gets lit up. Sucks for him, but we can't go back to Cam. He's been horrible.

Sabres are playing well. Skap is an unknown. If we lose, it looks ****ing terrible because these are 2 points that re pretty much imperative to get.

edit: meant good point to be under dactyl but either way applies

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Well Prince Cam at least outlasted Prince Chad. Can't wait for Henrik to be back, tired of Talbot giving up 3+ goals every night. He's not a starting goalie, it's one thing to spot start against terrible teams and have the team play great defense. And for everyone blaming the defense, lundqvist has the same team in front of him, only difference is he bails us out.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Quick flight to Buffalo, no skate tomorrow morning, and not playing again till Sunday night. He absolutely can play tomorrow.
I don't know man, he really looks gassed to me. He looks erratic, is letting in a ton of goals, Idk...

Why not just rest him? He's getting lit up anyway.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nevesis is a goalie you see, so they're never at fault.

I'm a goalie and can absolutely acknowledge Talbot's fault here. This was a bad game for him.

So many people here don't realize that goals against aren't always 100% fault of the goaltender but much of the time the fault of breakdowns all across the five other players in front of him.

It's understanding the game at a fundamental level, from all positions. Not just "ZOMG HE'S DA GOALIE THEREFORE IF IT GOEZ IN ITS HIZ FAULT GUIZE!"

Despite the breakdowns, NHL goalies are expected to make big saves. He's not Lundqvist so we can't expect that, but with the goal support he's getting he needs to be better.

This whole stretch his rebound control has been abysmal. He doesn't look confident in the net and it's showing in the results.

His rebound control is the biggest problem here. Too many chances are generated from him not eating the puck up when applicable or steering it to the side boards/corners. It's quite noticeable how many more scramble situations there are and 2nd chance opportunities and those are mostly direct results of Talbot's inability to control his rebounds.

Yes he is making quite a few big saves, but this is the NHL, he's supposed to. We can analyze every goal and explain why it happened and where the breakdown was and what lead to the goal. But if every team scored on all of their scoring chances games would be 20-18. Tonight was not an example of being overwhelmed with scoring chances at all.

But hey, we're 5 pts back of the Islanders and tied with Washington with THREE games in hand on each, tied with Penguins and TWO games in hand on them. We just need to take care of business and win our games in hand.

I'd give Skapski the start tomorrow, tell Talbot to be ready and if he gives up a quick two pull him out. However, I think if Skapski starts the defense will be on point and hopefully they will continue scoring 4+ goals.

Tonight was a game where if Hank is in we win 4-1 probably. He's the safety net and when the D has an off night (I don't think they were monumentally bad tonight, just didn't have their get out of jail free card behind them) and that can't be overlooked. He's the most important part of the Rangers' dominant defense.

I'd also like to know why Nash wasn't out there barely at all after getting the lead and in OT. Love Zucc, but in OT Nash should be out with Brassard.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
5-1-2 since Hank went down. Talbot gives the team the best chance to win right now, not Skapski. No one remembers the big saves he's made in many of the games, only the goals.

I remember the big saves, and the goals, and his statistics (SV% GAA) don't tell the entire story because as I continue to say...

There is the reason you never see Vezina winners playing for teams at the bottom of the standings. A goalies success is dependent just as much on the team in front of him, as it is on his own skill set.

We've had a lot of bad breakdowns that have led to a lot of goals against. However, our potent offense has masked a lot of those issues.

That being said, if the Rangers won this game tonight, outright with ease, I think its an easy decision to start Skapski. Being how it turned out, and how the rest of the teams in the division/conference played out, its important to turn to the goalie who gives you the best chance to win right now. That is Cam Talbot, not Skapski.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
5-1-2 since Hank went down. Talbot gives the team the best chance to win right now, not Skapski. No one remembers the big saves he's made in many of the games, only the goals.

I remember the big saves, and the goals, and his statistics (SV% GAA) don't tell the entire story because as I continue to say...

There is the reason you never see Vezina winners playing for teams at the bottom of the standings. A goalies success is dependent just as much on the team in front of him, as it is on his own skill set.

We've had a lot of bad breakdowns that have led to a lot of goals against. However, our potent offense has masked a lot of those issues.

That being said, if the Rangers won this game tonight, outright with ease, I think its an easy decision to start Skapski. Being how it turned out, and how the rest of the teams in the division/conference played out, its important to turn to the goalie who gives you the best chance to win right now. That is Cam Talbot, not Skapski.

Considering we are scoring around 4 goals per game, I'd hope we can win 5 of 8. Talbot hasn't given the the team a chance to win, the offense has.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
When you're goalies GAA is 3.13, its horrible, no matter how you try to spin it, that means your offense needs to get you 4 goals a game.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Btw, Montreal blew a 2-0 lead in the 3rd to Florida tonight with Price in goal. Lost in the shoot-out at home. I'm more pissed than the next guy, but s__t happens.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Defense needs to stop... doing what they're doing too.

Lundqvist has lived with it for years according to everyone, NHL goaltenders sometimes have to win a game simply by themselves and he hasn't even had to do that once.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Lundqvist has lived with it for years according to everyone, NHL goaltenders sometimes have to win a game simply by themselves and he hasn't even had to do that once.

They do it but not always. Every team does it. But our guys seriously are way better than that. They need to stop playing with their heads away from their shoulders.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
So many harsh comments you guys are so spoiled...We are 34-16 with a plus 40 in goals...We are playing our back up goalie who is what 7-1-1 since Hank got hurt? He sucks he sucks how many teams have 2 number 1's?? Good teams fight through adversity which is what we are doing now...All the comments that Staal sucks Klein sucks trade Girardi ect...You guys are 10 times worse than me about dressing a tougher line up all you do is *****...These guys are not machines they have off nights they cant be perfect every game...Some of you seriously need to live through some really dark times in Ranger history to learn to appreciate what is going on here

Last edited:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
They do it but not always. Every team does it. But our guys seriously are way better than that. They need to stop playing with their heads away from their shoulders.

I'm not saying the D doesn't need to get better it does, but I think the correlation with us scoring so much relates to the fact that they think they need to score so much because our goalie isn't doing his job.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Btw, Montreal blew a 2-0 lead in the 3rd to Florida tonight with Price in goal. Lost in the shoot-out at home. I'm more pissed than the next guy, but s__t happens.

I watch highlights of Montreal and see other teams scoring on Price and it makes no sense to me why we can't.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So many harsh comments you guys are so spoiled...We are 34-16 with a plus 40 in goals...We are playing our back up goalie who is what 7-1-1 since Hank got hurt? He sucks he sucks how many teams have 2 number 1's?? Good teams fight through diversity which is what we are doing now...All the comments that Staal sucks Klein sucks trade Girardi ect...You guys are 10 times worse than me about dressing a tougher line up all you do is *****...These guys are not machines they have off nights they cant be perfect every game...Some of you seriously need to live through some really dark times in Ranger history to learn to appreciate what is going on here

I usually don't agree with you, but I think you're pretty spot on here.

We're playing like crap and we're 5-1-2 in our last 9. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad