Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Sam Gagner would make the most sense since his cap hit is only 200 k less than Baertschi.

Gagner would probably retire rather than return to the team that nearly ended his career. Funny when we signed him he was a perrennial 40 point scorer and now with the Oilers he's on pace for roughly... 40 points. As for Baer I was never much of a fan (way too soft) but I feel for him even though he's going to go home with millions of $ in his jeans where he can slide right into some Swiss team's roster and probably play in their no-hit league for years to come as a "former NHLer" which they seem to love over there. So my sympathy is muted somewhat...

Reactions: ChilliBilly

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Players all over the league love our team. Look at the contracts we have given out for mediocre players over the last 5 years.
yes Lucic Turris Seabrook Ladd all looking to work something out to come home to this great organization

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It has to be eating Jimmy up inside thinking about Sven riding the buses in the AHL. Even if he does have one more year at $3.4 left on his contract. I'll bet he was practically in tears talking to that agent. You know if Jimbo had his way everyone would have a big dollars NHL job....

Reactions: 420Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I love that Benning's cap plan essentially boils down to hoping someone will pick up a bad contract from us on waivers.

We're going to end up trading for an equally bad contract, or trade with 50% retained which barely helps us in either scenario.
Reality is you have to view it as what is going to happen if the status quo remains.

It will likely be a buyout or retention for Sven.

Buyout is a $1.1 million cap hit for 2 years.
Burying in the AHL is a $2.3 mill cap hit for next season
Retention can be as high as a $1.65 million cap hit next season if nothing comes the other way.

Sven has a higher chance to be traded in the off-season as he would have 1 year left. Teams don't want to be tied to a commitment for him now for next season given his injury history. If he plays well, you consider extending him. If he does not, you simply walk away, thus no risk.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If he doesn’t get picked up willing to terminate contract? It seems like he is desperate enough to move on.
He would surrender 4.5 of his 12.5 career earnings he's guarenteed to do so. Would be a pretty stupid move given no one wants to eat a 3million cap hit for 2yrs currently and he might be close to being nothing other than a cheap stop gap contract wise once a free agent. Sven is a different dude though so who knows. Was certainly quick to contemplate retiring after his last concussion.

MS is probably right they likely dangled him to show his agent that he needs to back off

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Benning spent $36 million on a player who isn’t even good enough to help the Utica Comets barely more than halfway through his deal?

Isn’t the point of this season to make the playoffs this year and to have the best roster in Vancouver to do that?

Yes, but the difference between Baertschi and Eriksson is quite negligible if Baertschi isn’t in your top 6 at the NHL level.

Again - making the playoffs is obviously a huge goal for the Canucks, but it’s not just a linearesque strategy. When these decisions are made, a comprehensive analysis is done......and in this case, even though the difference between Eriksson and Baertschi at the NHL level is negligible (even if it favored Baertschi in the slightest of ways), Baertschi is far more valuable to Utica than Eriksson would be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Baertschi just another of the Canucks awful, basically untradeable contracts. But then I was skeptical they'd ever be able to trade Gudbranson....so I guess there's always a glimmer of hope.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This may be hindsight, but the pick we traded to Calgary for Baertschi became Rasmus Andersson, who is turning out to be a solid D-man. :ha:
Yep...you nailed it.....and that was first of many fumbles by Benning, trading picks for other team's failed prospects.Who remembers a second-rounder for Linden Vey; a fourth rounder for Derrick Pouliot; a third rounder for Andrey Pedan; a high second and a fourth rounder for Gudbranson; a second rounder for Sutter; a fifth rounder for Philip Larsen; a seventh rounder for Marek Mazenek; and finally a first rounder and a third rounder for J.T. Miller. And I'm sure there are others I can't remember.

Obviously not all of these picks would have worked out.......but with the exception of Miller and a chronically injured Sutter, where are all the other guys now that Jimbo that coughed up draft picks for?

At what point does it ever sink in.....a rebuilding team just can't trade draft picks for fading prospects...period.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yep...you nailed it.....and that was first of many fumbles by Benning, trading picks for other team's failed prospects.Who remembers a second-rounder for Linden Vey; a fourth rounder for Derrick Pouliot; a third rounder for Andrey Pedan; a high second and a fourth rounder for Gudbranson; a second rounder for Sutter; a fifth rounder for Philip Larsen; a seventh rounder for Marek Mazenek; and finally a first rounder and a third rounder for J.T. Miller. And I'm sure there are others I can't remember.

Obviously not all of these picks would have worked out.......but with the exception of Miller and a chronically injured Sutter, where are all the other guys now that Jimbo that coughed up draft picks for?

At what point does it ever sink in.....a rebuilding team just can't trade draft picks for fading prospects...period.
Was Baertschi a fading prospect in 2015..?..I don't think so...Benning had obviously scouted him enough (living in Portland)..Sven had decent second line LW numbers for the Canucks until injuries derailed his career...(and nobody can predict multiple injuries).

I didn't mind the Pouliot trade either..it was a gamble..didnt work out.

I believe both players played under Green,and were scouted by Benning.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012

make it stop lol

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This may be hindsight, but the pick we traded to Calgary for Baertschi became Rasmus Andersson, who is turning out to be a solid D-man. :ha:

That's the thing with draft picks. Their ultimate value depends on what you do with it. The chances are they would have drafted Brisebois had the Canucks kept their pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad