Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Unfortunately, I don’t think Baertschi is a moveable asset......which isn’t necessarily a bad thing if the Canucks are looking to maximize depth.

If the Canucks are looking to clear cap at the end of the season, then Josh Leivo will likely be the first trading chip. Depending on how the Canucks feel about Hoglander and if he’s be ready to make the jump next year (unlikely, but you never know), then Pearson could be another guy.

Given our upcoming cap challenges, I could also see Virtanen being moved.

I think Baertschi will be in a similar boat to Eriksson (unmovable).

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yup. Baertschi isn’t good but he deserves to be on the roster a hell of a lot more than Eriksson and can help the team a hell of a lot more than Eriksson.
Even if he were completely useless, his far cheaper cap hit makes him more valuable than a replacement level player like the six million dollar man.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Baertschi can help Utica far more than Eriksson can. Baertschi would be far more likely to kill it in Utica, be a good influence on the kids, and possibly upholster his value to the point where he’d be tradable, than Eriksson would be.

There is a value in Baertschi getting ice time even if it’s not at the NHL value. There is no value in Eriksson getting ice time in Utic.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So they either found a team willing to take him off waivers, or this is another grasp at straws to see if someone wants him for free. I hope for his sake it’s the former - would like to see him get a chance. He’s been through a lot the last year.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yup. Baertschi isn’t good but he deserves to be on the roster a hell of a lot more than Eriksson and can help the team a hell of a lot more than Eriksson.

Or is Eriksson one of these “hard skilled” players Benning was talking about.

Reactions: vanuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's on waivers today. I'm not sure why, unless the Canucks found a taker which I doubt. Maybe just to prove that no one wants him?

If he clears, he is a better asset as he can be moved up and down for a period of time without having to clear waivers.

I think...?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baertschi can help Utica far more than Eriksson can. Baertschi would be far more likely to kill it in Utica, be a good influence on the kids, and possibly upholster his value to the point where he’d be tradable, than Eriksson would be.

There is a value in Baertschi getting ice time even if it’s not at the NHL value. There is no value in Eriksson getting ice time in Utic.

Benning spent $36 million on a player who isn’t even good enough to help the Utica Comets barely more than halfway through his deal?

Isn’t the point of this season to make the playoffs this year and to have the best roster in Vancouver to do that?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If he clears, he is a better asset as he can be moved up and down for a period of time without having to clear waivers.

I think...?

i guess it resets the waivers immunity clock. he has used up some of his waiver immunity with call ups.

seems like they would only do it if there is a buyout or trade and they usually announce the former.

IDJOTBOY

Jan 7, 2014
Surrey, BC
If the Canucks are looking to clear cap at the end of the season, then Josh Leivo will likely be the first trading chip. Depending on how the Canucks feel about Hoglander and if he’s be ready to make the jump next year (unlikely, but you never know), then Pearson could be another guy.

Do you have a source for this or is this just a personal hunch based on contracts this year?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I feel like most teams would rather play Sven and bury eriksson at the minors. No hate towards Sven he deserves better than this.
Players deserve better than to be employed by this crapshow of a company.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
lucas radil and madison bowey also waived this weekend. if a trade is brewing where everyone is going to be in the ahl both are possible swaps i guess.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning spent $36 million on a player who isn’t even good enough to help the Utica Comets barely more than halfway through his deal?

Isn’t the point of this season to make the playoffs this year and to have the best roster in Vancouver to do that?
Louie E has been replacement level since day one as a Canuck. Forget how he is now. Even Guds has hada better career as a Canuck.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The Oilers are willing to trade these players one for one for Baertschi:
Alex Chiasson (2 years @ 2.15 M)
Sam Gagner (1 year @ 3.15 M)
Kris Russell (2 years @ 4 M)
Brandon Manning (1 year @ 2.25 M)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

oooh Kris Russel is still out there. You know Benning wants him bad

Reactions: xtra

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
i guess it resets the waivers immunity clock. he has used up some of his waiver immunity with call ups.

seems like they would only do it if there is a buyout or trade and they usually announce the former.
Count me as confused as well....Baertschi has already cleared waivers once to be sent down...but may his recall and few games in VanCity triggered some sort of change in his waiver status if he's called up again. Who knows?

But as other posters have pointed out.....having the $6m man sit in the pressbox night after night, while Baertschi languished in Utica never made any sense from the beginning,.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I would happily take either of the deals that are expiring this year and just eat them.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Yes, it resets him to the 10/30 marks for games/days with subsequent waiver-exempt status.

Buyout can only happen between June 15 - 30.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I love that Benning's cap plan essentially boils down to hoping someone will pick up a bad contract from us on waivers.

We're going to end up trading for an equally bad contract, or trade with 50% retained which barely helps us in either scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad