Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
or they just waive Baertschi again once everyone is back
Not sure why everyone thinks that a trade is always imminent. Benning said that when they call up players from Utica this year they will be NHL players. If he was serious about having the depth needed to make it through an 82 game season it means players like Baertschi get sent down during those rare times when the Canucks are healthy.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not sure why everyone thinks that a trade is always imminent. Benning said that when they call up players from Utica this year they will be NHL players. If he was serious about having the depth needed to make it through an 82 game season it means players like Baertschi get sent down during those rare times when the Canucks are healthy.

Will Baertschi still clear now that he has been playing well in AHL and NHL scouts know this?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will Baertschi still clear now that he has been playing well in AHL and NHL scouts know this?
Well, if he were to get claimed, that frees up $2.3 million that the Canucks are eating in cap space with him in the A. Would free up the cap space required to fit the rookie bonuses for this season.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Depends on how long he is up for. When Roussel is back his LTIR cap relief is gone and the Canucks will have a cap issue. If Bae is sent back down with in 30 days he doesn't have to clear waivers again. If he plays well enough to stay then someone else has to come down.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

With his salary no chance he gets claimed, it would be great for the Canucks if he did clearing up cap space. Not good enough to play in the top 6 full time, not fiesty enough to play in the bottom 6 full time, but makes for great depth in case of injuries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With his salary no chance he gets claimed, it would be great for the Canucks if he did clearing up cap space. Not good enough to play in the top 6 full time, not fiesty enough to play in the bottom 6 full time, but makes for great depth in case of injuries.
It's more his extra year than his salary IMO.

Would the Blues consider him given the injury to Tarasenko (using LTIR to fit Sven in now?), but with the additional year, the Blues are likely not interested given the increases next season for Schenn, Faulk, & likely AP.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
It's more his extra year than his salary IMO.

Would the Blues consider him given the injury to Tarasenko (using LTIR to fit Sven in now?), but with the additional year, the Blues are likely not interested given the increases next season for Schenn, Faulk, & likely AP.

Agree 100%. Should’ve said contract not salary. If this was his last year the chance of him getting claimed would be significantly higher.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
or they just waive Baertschi again once everyone is back
^This^

IIRC (don't have the CBA in front of me, correct me if I'm wrong), the Canucks can have him on the roster for 30 days or 10 (?) games before he has to pass through waivers again.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
His absence is already being felt tonight with Reid Boucher going down in the second period and the coach inexplicably scratching Carter Camper in favor of plugger Wacey Hamilton. Comets trailing 2-0 late.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm actually quite happy to have Baertschi back in the lineup. I didn't think he should of been sent down in the first place. I'll be rooting for him tonight against the Sharks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Baertschi doesn't slot into the lineup in place of Eriksson for the next game, then Green needs a shrink. I don't think I've ever seen a player far so far and so fast as Eriksson. The guy literally can't skate any more and the league is passing him by.

His contract is a nightmare scenario for Benning, but the pressbox or Utica is the best place for him. I'd put Sven back on the wing with Bo for the next game.

Reactions: calnuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If Baertschi doesn’t play the next game, it’s probably safe to say he is going to have a short lived stay.

Reactions: David71

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Apparently Sven has asked for a trade.

Also via 1040 and JPat, Jim Benning has "confirmed that the asking price isnt high" and that the team now has moved to "hard skill as opposed to soft skill."

Why do I get the feeling that instead of trying to maximise the value of assets being traded Jim more often is trying to justify why the piece being traded should be.. well, traded.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Also via 1040 and JPat, Jim Benning has "confirmed that the asking price isnt high" and that the team now has moved to "hard skill as opposed to soft skill."

Why do I get the feeling that instead of trying to maximise the value of assets being traded Jim more often is trying to justify why the piece being traded should be.. well, traded.
Yeah we've discussed it quite a bit here. Apparently he asked for a trade some time ago. Benning has been trying but anyone who clears waivers is a tough sell on the trade market. We'll need to give up assets to do it. There's another year left on that contract at $2.3

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I feel like most teams would rather play Sven and bury eriksson at the minors. No hate towards Sven he deserves better than this.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah we've discussed it quite a bit here. Apparently he asked for a trade some time ago. Benning has been trying but anyone who clears waivers is a tough sell on the trade market. We'll need to give up assets to do it. There's another year left on that contract at $2.3

I cant see anything about it in this thread?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Baertschi’s agent was given permission to contact other teams in order to try and facilitate a trade, if he can’t work something out he should understand that his client is a negative asset and keep his mouth shut. He’s making NHL money playing in the AHL, whining about fairness and “fighting for his career”...no sympathy here, shut up and play, at least you are making a healthy paycheck.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Of course he’s not trying to maximize trade value a week or so from now. In the GM job you only worry about the current day OT whatever non-nenes he was saying the other day.

I mean I’m not a Baertschi fan and really don’t feel he is a NHL player but he’s more of a player than Schaller is for example.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Of course he’s not trying to maximize trade value a week or so from now. In the GM job you only worry about the current day OT whatever non-nenes he was saying the other day.

I mean I’m not a Baertschi fan and really don’t feel he is a NHL player but he’s more of a player than Schaller is for example.

I think he is definitely an NHLer.

Bottom 6 scoring winger. Unless you feel the NHL isnt filled by NHLers.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think he is definitely an NHLer.

Bottom 6 scoring winger. Unless you feel the NHL isnt filled by NHLers.

I guess I should have said I don’t think he’s a top 6 guy at all and I’m not sure on an actual contending team if he has any spot. I can agree with Benning in that though I’ll disagree on many guys he thinks are top 6 and NHL players...

But yes he can slot onto the wing in the bottom 6 for several teams in the league as he’s a decent player. I’d still play him ahead of Schaller and Motte at a minimum on this roster. He can certainly be a part of the top 13 for a bunch of clubs. Whether he gets that chance at his age I’m not sure.

But there goes that supposed depth. Guys Green won’t play and guys asking for trades. The depth was a mirage and less than 40 games in this season it is disappearing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad