Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I like Baertschi and wish the had waived someone else instead of him, but let's not get hysterical.

He's 27 in 5 days with a career high of 35 points and has a terrible injury track record including a concussion that almost ended his career last year.

Realistically what would his scoring expectations be playing on a 3rd or 4th line? Maybe 20, 25 points? And that's if he managed to stay healthy and bounced back from his concussion symptoms.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
I like Baertschi and wish the had waived someone else instead of him, but let's not get hysterical.

He's 27 in 5 days with a career high of 35 points and has a terrible injury track record including a concussion that almost ended his career last year.

Realistically what would his scoring expectations be playing on a 3rd or 4th line? Maybe 20, 25 points? And that's if he managed to stay healthy and bounced back from his concussion symptoms.

exactly.

cdc is 75% ok with it lol the other 25% are hating hard

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

This isn't the point.

Tyler Motte absolutely stinks. He provides zero value. He does nothing. Ditto Tim Schaller. Ditto Loui Eriksson. Ditto half the damn roster. Cutting baertschi, in a vacuum, who cares, but keeping these schlubs on the roster ahead of him his comically stupid.

It hardly matters because this team is full of so much junk anyway but how they looked at this junk heap and singled out Baertschi is just beyond reason.

And the reason they did it is because they still think this is the 1950s and you need to be a certain "type" to play on the 3rd or 4th line. In reality this team is destined to stink because it is completely lacking in talent and this move does nothing to change that.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
This isn't the point.

Tyler Motte absolutely stinks. He provides zero value. He does nothing. Ditto Tim Schaller. Ditto Loui Eriksson. Ditto half the damn roster. Cutting baertschi, in a vacuum, who cares, but keeping these schlubs on the roster ahead of him his comically stupid.

It hardly matters because this team is full of so much junk anyway but how they looked at this junk heap and singled out Baertschi is just beyond reason.

And the reason they did it is because they still think this is the 1950s and you need to be a certain "type" to play on the 3rd or 4th line. In reality this team is destined to stink because it is completely lacking in talent and this move does nothing to change that.

Fair points, but again what would your scoring expectations of Baertschi be if he played in the canucks bottom six? Playing 15+ minutes a night with guys like Horvat and Boeser he never managed to stay healthy enough to score more than 35 points in a year. I really don't know if he would be scoring a whole lot more than the rest of the "junk heap" as you put it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Let’s call this what it is. The canucks are being wishful and hoping he gets claimed. He most certainly didn’t get beat out by guys like Leivo and Pearson. They’re trying to dump the contract.

exactly. no one will ever take eriksson, but maybe just maybe somebody would take bae so through waivers he goes. need that cap room for jt myers.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Fair points, but again what would your scoring expectations of Baertschi be if he played in the canucks bottom six? Playing 15+ minutes a night with guys like Horvat and Boeser he never managed to stay healthy enough to score more than 35 points in a year. I really don't know if he would be scoring a whole lot more than the rest of the "junk heap" as you put it.

Tim Schaller didn't score a single goal last season until the canucks were eliminated.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
I can hear the media 5-6 months from now. "The Canucks lack scoring from the bottom 6 they could of use a guy like Sven Baertschi on there 3rd line"

Reactions: Canucks1096

kallor

May 15, 2015
I like Baertschi but this seems like a no lose scenario.

If Baertschi gets claimed, doubtful with the other players available, best of luck to him and he gets a fresh start and the Canucks gets some cap flexibility.

If he doesn't get claimed, canucks have a very good winger in the minors who can be called when injuries hit or a trade occurs.
I also think its likely Gaudette heads back down and a winger like Baertschi would be very beneficial to play with.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
This isn't the point.

Tyler Motte absolutely stinks. He provides zero value. He does nothing. Ditto Tim Schaller. Ditto Loui Eriksson.

And the reason they did it is because they still think this is the 1950s and you need to be a certain "type" to play on the 3rd or 4th line.

Motte, Schaller and Eriksson are 1, 2 and 3 in PK time on ice for returning wingers. They aren't very good players, but they do provide something of value - penalty killing. If you have a terrible PK, it absolutely destroys your club. Unfortunately the Canucks don't have many guys in the top 6 that kill penalties.

Motte also scored 9 non PP goals in 74 GP, from 4th line icetime. Those are good 4th line goal totals. He also only had 80 career NHL games experience coming into last season - so it's possible there is more there.

Eriksson is the guy that just doesn't fit. His slow, passive style is the furthest thing from what Travis Green wants from his forwards. At least Schaller, and especially Motte can skate and play with pace.

Reactions: kallor

kallor

May 15, 2015
Motte, Schaller and Eriksson are 1, 2 and 3 in PK time on ice for returning wingers. They aren't very good players, but they do provide something of value - penalty killing. If you have a terrible PK, it absolutely destroys your club. Unfortunately the Canucks don't have many guys in the top 6 that kill penalties.

Motte also scored 9 non PP goals in 74 GP, from 4th line icetime. Those are good 4th line goal totals. He also only had 80 career NHL games experience coming into last season - so it's possible there is more there.

Eriksson is the guy that just doesn't fit. His slow, passive style is the furthest thing from what Travis Green wants from his forwards. At least Schaller, and especially Motte can skate and play with pace.

I agree, I'm not sure how people can dislike Motte. He's one of the few players last year that played with a spark and showed a bit of offense touch at times.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I feel bad for Baertschi, but let's be brutally honest here. He's one major head-shot away from the end of his hockey career imo. His health and his family have to come first--and another concussion would likely be the end of the line. So I suppose there's a small chance he gets claimed, but I'd be shocked if he did.

I hope he keeps hid head up down in Utica. The AHL is notorious for brutal hits along the wall and in the neutral zone. I'm crossing my fingers he can stay healthy and work his way back up.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
How can anyone justify waiving Sven without waiving Eriksson first? this is a new low for Jim.

Eriksson is the better option in the bottom 6 over Baertschi. You say it’s a new low, I say the fact that our roster was deep enough to waive a guy like Sven indicates a new high for this team that Benning is building.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Did he clear through waivers?

I think that he'll be a call up pretty soon because you only have to be cap compliant before LTIR savings at the START of the season. Once the season starts, we can bury LTIR's and use the cap savings, thats aanother $3M which would allow us to bring Sven back up.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He was one of the few ever so slight wins in the trade column for Jim and now he’s hoping he gets claimed off waivers so we save cap. LOL. Id like our second round pick back please.

I think Baertschi was put on waivers with management hoping Baertschi retires rather than taking the bus given his history of concussions. Baertschi was close to hanging them up but loves playing the game and being in the NHL, so the logical thing to do is take away the NHL and make him stop loving the game.

I mean honestly it's pretty shrewd if that's what he did, kind of respect it aside from how it shouldn't have even been necessary with proper management.

Reactions: mathonwy

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Did he clear through waivers?

I think that he'll be a call up pretty soon because you only have to be cap compliant before LTIR savings at the START of the season. Once the season starts, we can bury LTIR's and use the cap savings, thats aanother $3M which would allow us to bring Sven back up.

No its not. Since they are sitting at "only" ~80.4m cap hit now (according to cap friendly) placing a player on LTIR will not gain them any salary cap relief.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
No its not. Since they are sitting at "only" ~80.4m cap hit now (according to cap friendly) placing a player on LTIR will not gain them any salary cap relief.

The sensible thing to do would be to name Baertschi to the opening day roster and then put Roussel on LTIR, as that'd get them within $8,500 of the maximum LTIR exemption. Who knows what they'll actually do though.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Tim Schaller didn't score a single goal last season until the canucks were eliminated.

And now that Baertschi has cleared waivers it is evident the 30 other NHL management groups agreed with the Canucks that Baertschi is not currently worth an nhl roster spot.

I am glad he cleared and hope he proves all his doubters wrong and gets back to the team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
And now that Baertschi has cleared waivers it is evident the 30 other NHL management groups agreed with the Canucks that Baertschi is not currently worth an nhl roster spot.

I am glad he cleared and hope he proves all his doubters wrong and gets back to the team.

No, 20 out of 30 nhl teams have less than 3 million in cap space.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

You could say the same about 1/4 of the Canucks' roster.

Reactions: vanuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

With his contract and injury history, this is true.

Doesn't mean for a second that any team would consider Tim Schaller on waivers either though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad