Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well make that 4-5 seasons if you are going to start trading away young scoring forwards as soon as they start to establish themselves in the NHL.
Won't mean much (re: forwards) if the blueline is the same state as it is now. Demko will be able to hide some of those flaws but he isn't a miracle worker.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
But we are not a good team and won't be a good team for at least 2 more seasons.

He's still young enough IMO. You can't just throw away good depth players and expect that you'll get someone better and younger through trade or through the draft. Once you get someone better and younger then you trade him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He's still young enough IMO. You can't just throw away good depth players and expect that you'll get someone better and younger through trade or through the draft. Once you get someone better and younger then you trade him.

Just curious but do you automatically assume trading a player means “throwing them away”?

I mean I get that Benning’s track record in trades is garbage, but it is theoretically possible for him to trade Baertschi for something of similar value that perhaps we need more than a LW.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tough news for Sven....but he turns 26 at the start of next season.....hardly a prospect anymore and still lacking consistency in his game....and he'll soon be looking over his shoulder.....Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich are all knocking on the door....still not 100 percent certain he'll be part of the Canuck core moving forward.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just curious but do you automatically assume trading a player means “throwing them away”?

I mean I get that Benning’s track record in trades is garbage, but it is theoretically possible for him to trade Baertschi for something of similar value that perhaps we need more than a LW.
what do you have in mind? I would say its highly unlikely someone is trading a legit top4 defenseman for a 2nd line LW

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tough news for Sven....but he turns 26 at the start of next season.....hardly a prospect anymore and still lacking consistency in his game....and he'll soon be looking over his shoulder.....Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich are all knocking on the door....still not 100 percent certain he'll be part of the Canuck core moving forward.
tough news for Sven but good news for the Canucks.

Being unable to stay healthy may have just saved the Canucks from an awkward negotiation where a player with good numbers looks north of 4 million after just 1 good season on a top line with players better than himself.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's weird how there's so much discussion about how injury-prone Tanev is and so little about Gudbranson and Baertschi even though they're hurt even more.

This is not a player who should be getting a long-term extension. 2 years max, and shouldn't be a major raise over his current salary. Unfortunately his agent will probably use the disgraceful Gagner contract as a comparable.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
what do you have in mind? I would say its highly unlikely someone is trading a legit top4 defenseman for a 2nd line LW

First of all I didn’t specify a “legit top 4 D” for Baertschi. If you don’t think Baertschi is worth that (and I agree he’s not), then why would we “lose” if we were to trade Baertschi for less than that. Is a “potential top 4 D” a loss? Somewhere between complete garbage like Pouliot and an established top 4 D like ... well we don’t have a comparable on this roster.

Second, I’m not the GM and it’s not my job to know every trade possibility but I think there’s a problem if you think we need to keep every player Benning has ever acquired for fear of “throwing them away.” Good teams trade spare or redundant parts to fill holes in their line up all the time. Whatever value Baertschi has to us as a LW I would expect we should be able to get similar value in the form of a defenseman, Centre, or draft pick.

The rebuild isn’t going to crumble if we trade Sven Baertschi ffs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I’m not the GM and it’s not my job to know every trade possibility but I think there’s a problem if you think we need to keep every player Benning has ever acquired for fear of “throwing them away.” Good teams trade spare or redundant parts to fill holes in their line up all the time. Whatever value Baertschi has to us as a LW I would expect we should be able to get similar value in the form of a defenseman, Centre, or draft pick.

The rebuild isn’t going to crumble if we trade Sven Baertschi ffs.

i would trade anyone for the right deal but why exactly are we LOOKING to move Baertschi?

Curious why we would be motivated to do so when not having Baertschi creates a hole at LW. Not to mention dealing injured and struggling players is not typically a recipe for getting equal or good value back.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i would trade anyone for the right deal but why exactly are we LOOKING to move Baertschi?

Curious why we would be motivated to do so when not having Baertschi creates a hole at LW. Not to mention dealing injured and struggling players is not typically a recipe for getting equal or good value back.

Agreed. He's not a player I'd be looking to move as he's useful and young enough to be worth keeping around.

He's also not a player I'd be very attached to, either. If we could've got the deal Detroit got for Tatar? Bye!

The time to move him would have been at the deadline, though. Can't see any team targeting him at the draft.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Lots of posts in this thread already explaining that. Plus I never said I was looking to. I was disagreeing with a poster who said you can’t get ahead by trading a player like Baertschi.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Also is Baertschi “struggling”? He’s played as well this year as he ever has. That’s not to say he’s played great but he’s not been “struggling” either.

And yes he’s injured now but I assume he’ll be healthy long before the draft.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Agreed. He's not a player I'd be looking to move as he's useful and young enough to be worth keeping around.

He's also not a player I'd be very attached to, either. If we could've got the deal Detroit got for Tatar? Bye!

The time to move him would have been at the deadline, though. Can't see any team targeting him at the draft.
Completely concur. And i see Baertschi as a very similar player. Vegas with all those aquired picks paid handsomely and that would have been a great haul for Sven if he was their target.

Just have a hard time seeing someone ponying up that kind of deal for Sven. as you mentioned his injuries have had a large hand in keeping him from getting to the levels statistically Tatar has. In a run of 5 seasons Tatar was able to score 19 29 21 25 and 16 goals....Sven has 15 18 14 with the Canucks while piling up missed games of 13 14 and 29 i'm convinced he's a 20 goal guy healthy which is why he probably holds more value to us than on the market.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

He is a 35 point 2nd line winger with limited remaining upside about to get paid for some UFA years. He could return picks in a trade. I don't find this idea the slightest bit confusing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Also is Baertschi “struggling”? He’s played as well this year as he ever has. That’s not to say he’s played great but he’s not been “struggling” either.

And yes he’s injured now but I assume he’ll be healthy long before the draft.
I never thought he was struggling either?

Was probably just thinking about the dummies that want to offload Hutton for a bag of dog shit while he goes through some struggles this year.

Just find it odd that people talk about dealing guys who still have upside when their values are low and expect to get good returns.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is a 35 point 2nd line winger with limited remaining upside about to get paid for some UFA years. He could return picks in a trade. I don't find this idea the slightest bit confusing.

Why should a player who has never scored more that 35 points be 'about to get paid'?

This player should be easily signable on a short-term, cheapish deal. He has no leverage.

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i find it haphazard and would be not on;y creating another hole to fill but i think the returns would be worse than what this player is about to yield for this team.

Sure if some idiot GM wanted to overpay but if Jimbo goes shopping Baertschi we would be lucky to get anythingb remotely close to the player that Sven can be the next few seasons.

I double this statement for Hutton........Just move away from Del Zotto and D.Sedin as replacements come otherwise were creating new holes to fill. The draft could change my outlook but thats my take.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
If i were sven i would try to get long term with a cheaper aav he is not good enough to be on a top 6 on a good team once we get better(hopefully) he will most likely get pushed out imo

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I never thought he was struggling either?

Was probably just thinking about the dummies that want to offload Hutton for a bag of dog **** while he goes through some struggles this year.

Just find it odd that people talk about dealing guys who still have upside when their values are low and expect to get good returns.

What upside does Baertschi have? He’s nearly 26. He very like is what he’s shown.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Why should a player who has never scored more that 35 points be 'about to get paid'?

This player should be easily signable on a short-term, cheapish deal. He has no leverage.

I multi year contract we are going to be buying some UFA years. He has arb rights which will put him into UFA status as well. Benning could pull a Benning. How do you feel about a 3 x 3.5M?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad