Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
No way should the Canucks package a prime asset to dump Eriksson, but alas, that's what Benning has set up to happen. I'd let Eriksson ride out here instead (can't float or be as disinterested as he already is), but Benning hates keeping players on the roster who don't want to be here, regardless if doing so for value reasons. He's going to have to get over this (which he won't, IMO), find a sucker GM (which he won't, IMO), or the prime asset is as good as gone. Prime Asset + Eriksson out, Ferland in.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
No way should the Canucks package a prime asset to dump Eriksson, but alas, that's what Benning has set up to happen. I'd let Eriksson ride out here instead (can't float or be as disinterested as he already is), but Benning hates keeping players on the roster who don't want to be here, regardless if doing so for value reasons. He's going to have to get over this (which he won't, IMO), find a sucker GM (which he won't, IMO), or the prime asset is as good as gone. Prime Asset + Eriksson out, Ferland in.

What prime assets do they even have? They've already lost a 1st. Their prospect pool stinks. Juolevi? Gaudette? Are either of them good enough for a team to absorb Eriksson? Who else is there? Woo?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Can we attach a prime asset to Benning and ship him out?
How in the heck does he still have a job?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
What prime assets do they even have? They've already lost a 1st. Their prospect pool stinks. Juolevi? Gaudette? Are either of them good enough for a team to absorb Eriksson? Who else is there? Woo?

Woo, Gaudette and a second rounder? Problem with Loui is he has three years left.Very few teams will take on a contract like that. I could see the Sens doing it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not exactly sure how you define a "prime asset", but I'm pretty darn sure they aren't moving any of the young core, or any other 1st rounders.

So unless they start slinging 2nd rounders around, I don't see anyway they move Eriksson. Or Sutter and Schaller, for that matter.

Cap space is obviously at a major premium this summer, and we don't have any.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

Conditional 1st, complete opposite condition to the TB deal...

He's got to hang on to Eriksson. Would the Gagner treatment give Benning enough cap room to sign Ferland?

Anyone who argued that cap space doesn't matter can now suck it. Benning is a lame duck GM desperate for the playoffs, and it's a realistic possibility that it's going to be an expensive endeavor to "our future". It already cost a 1st for a hope and a prayer. He's all in. Our future is now.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Woo, Gaudette and a second rounder? Problem with Loui is he has three years left.Very few teams will take on a contract like that. I could see the Sens doing it.
Ya no thanks not giving that up to get rid of Loui. I'm hoping Woo is maybe in line up by start of 2020/21 season and Gaudette has shown some promise. Both will make nothing for a few years hence we need players like that until our garbage cap wasting bums are gone looking at you Loui, Sutter and injured Sven.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The only other team that could maybe be an option is Montreal if they decided it's better to have Eriksson in the NHL than Alzner in the AHL.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ya no thanks not giving that up to get rid of Loui. I'm hoping Woo is maybe in line up by start of 2020/21 season and Gaudette has shown some promise. Both will make nothing for a few years hence we need players like that until our garbage cap wasting bums are gone looking at you Loui, Sutter and injured Sven.

If you are a team like the Sens though you won't ask for a low price, or at least they shouldn't. Loui still has three more years left. If it was just this year the price would be lower.

Besides putting in the AHL the only other option is taking another bad contract back, ie Lucic for Loui for something like that.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If you are a team like the Sens though you won't ask for a low price, or at least they shouldn't. Loui still has three more years left. If it was just this year the price would be lower.

Besides putting in the AHL the only other option is taking another bad contract back, ie Lucic for Loui for something like that.
Were stuck with him but really after next seasons bonus in July 2020 is he even owed much more then 3 million? That's when a floor team will take him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm not exactly sure how you define a "prime asset", but I'm pretty darn sure they aren't moving any of the young core, or any other 1st rounders.

So unless they start slinging 2nd rounders around, I don't see anyway they move Eriksson. Or Sutter and Schaller, for that matter.

Cap space is obviously at a major premium this summer, and we don't have any.

We could have f***ing moved Sutter two deadlines ago if we weren't sold on him being an important part of the team.

Argh. Head. Face. Wall. Smash.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Letting Schenn walk and then moving Tanev makes no sense.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Myers can be seen as an upgrade over Gubranson, so that's a plus and makes the D better next year. However if they move Tanev, that argument falls apart as it is now Myers vs Tanev. We back to the same crumby D as last year, plus Hughes, apart from Hughes it is worse.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Here’s a question why would we assign him to the AHL is it against the rules to send him to the echl? Is there something prohibiting us from assigning him all the way down there?
An angry NHLPA and every UFA/older RFA demanding a full NMC before signing so they don't get f***ed over like that. Probably good reasons not to do it.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I was thinking the exact same thing. Myers can be seen as an upgrade over Gubranson, so that's a plus and makes the D better next year. However if they move Tanev, that argument falls apart as it is now Myers vs Tanev. We back to the same crumby D as last year, plus Hughes, apart from Hughes it is worse.

Unless the Tanev replacement is Benn.

Is 70~80 games of Benn an upgrade or downgrade on 50 games of Tanev?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Actually quite a stupid time to trade Tanev (jeez). Best thing to do would be to play him a little less with Myers and others there now and try to keep him healthy until the deadline then move him then.

Sutter is fine and I'm not surprised Eriksson is unmoveable.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You were such a Benning/ Canucks homer a very short time ago. What was the pivotal transaction that caused you to change ?

I don’t think there was just one. I just kept reading the posts here, and tried to defend his actions. Then I couldn’t think of things to write that were positive. It’s like I got overwhelmed (awoken) by the sheer volume of his terrible choices. I really want us to be a winning team, and it’s looking really bad fir that to happen.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

The problem is though, that Benning wants the cap space to sign guys he believes will help the team get into the playoffs. Lucic I could see him wanting a swap for... but any bad contract just to get rid of Loui I don't think is a possibility. I also think the only reason why Tanev/Sutter are on the market is because he wants cap space to sign Ferland+, and, unexpected to him, moving Loui comes with a high price tag. One way or another, I do think he's hellbent to get Ferland.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Big downgrade.

Player vs player I agree. I am not in the trade Tanev camp. In fact I would be pissed if we trade him. I guess the inevitable Tanev injury would be replaced by Biega. So 50 Tanev games and 30 Biega games is still an improvement over 80 Benn games. I really do not think trading Tanev is a serious option anyway. At least I hope not.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The problem is though, that Benning wants the cap space to sign guys he believes will help the team get into the playoffs. Lucic I could see him wanting a swap for... but any bad contract just to get rid of Loui I don't think is a possibility. I also think the only reason why Tanev/Sutter are on the market is because he wants cap space to sign Ferland+, and moving Loui comes with a high price tag. One way or another, I do think he's hellbent to get Ferland.

Please make this Benning train to the abyss stop. I can’t believe I used to defend this guy here. :eek:

member 290103

We could have ****ing moved Sutter two deadlines ago if we weren't sold on him being an important part of the team.

Argh. Head. Face. Wall. Smash.

Translation: no one wants our shitty overpriced veterans so we will just continue to push the mentorship angle.

Actually...that would probably be a best case scenario. More likely here is that he actually believes the shit he says.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

They should be cautious to even include 2nds in a trade. A team in Vancouver's position should not be going into a draft not picking until the third round.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Translation: no one wants our ****ty overpriced veterans so we will just continue to push the mentorship angle.

Actually...that would probably be a best case scenario. More likely here is that he actually believes the **** he says.

I agree with him in regards to Tanev and Edler. Sutter? Not so much. Also keep in mind this tweet is over a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad