Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It’s gone kind of quiet since the Canucks met with Myers - although Benning said today that they plan to meet with one more pending UFA. Any theories as to who?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don’t think Granlund is a horrible 13th forward, the problem I always had with him was he was given way more minutes than deserves.

With a coach the knows how to properly deploy players, agreed.
Granlund is a horrible 13th forward and was a filler for a couple years while wingers were being developed. He's going back to Finland.

Green benched Goldobin and Virtanen in favor of Granlund many times. Virtanen literally got benched in favor of AHLers in Utica and now he's a decent bottom 6 player while those AHLers who played ahead of him are still down there.

Granlund isn't coming back now and Goldobin is. Green wasn't "deploying" Granlund, he was developing Virtnaen/Goldobin. If you think Green's player development is poor, that's another argument.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Fillers don’t get prime offensive minutes with your two best offensive players and power play time.

Antoine Roussel is a veteran in the NHL and is a miles better player than Granlund, yet played less minutes last year.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Fillers don’t get prime offensive minutes with your two best offensive players and power play time.

Antoine Roussel is a veteran in the NHL and is a miles better player than Granlund, yet played less minutes last year.
What are you referring to? 5v5 minutes or minutes per game? Virt and roussel didn’t see much time on special teams. Granlund sucks but he was decent on the PK

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Objectively Markus Granlund is absolutely brutal on the PK.
Do the stats support that? I have no idea. Perhaps it’s because they didn’t care if he got injured blocking a shot. Stecher and beagle were our only solid PKers if I remember correctly

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Instant Buyer's Remorse: the worst contracts handed out from 2018 free agency - TheHockeyNews

"Last summer, Vancouver spent a lot of money on veterans to fill role-player spots throughout the lineup. Take Jay Beagle,for example. He has never eclipsed the 30-point mark in his career, but Vancouver liked his value as a defensive center enough to give him a four-year deal at $3 million per season. A broken forearm prevented Beagle from scoring his first goal until mid-December, and his 13 points were his fewest since 2013-14. Yes, the team didn’t hire him to score, but he’s near the top when it comes to expensive fourth-liners.

Between Beagle, Loui Eriksson and Antoine Roussel, the Canucks paid $12 million for just 23 goals for three players that moved in and out of the bottom six. Add in the $3-million recapture penalty due to Roberto Luongo’s retirement, and the Canucks will need to get creative with the $15.53 million they have available this summer. Beagle’s contract isn’t great, especially since he’s 33, but it was a necessary evil at the time.
"

Reactions: xtr3m

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
and then there was...

Erik Gudbranson D, 27 ($4 million per/three years with Vancouver)

"Technically, Gudbranson’s contract was signed last February, but didn’t kick in until this season. Gudbranson didn’t finish the campaign with the team that signed him, but he was yet another example of a terrible signing by the Canucks. Gudbranson couldn’t find his game in Vancouver and was shipped to Pittsburgh at the trade deadline, finishing on the third pairing with two assists in 19 games. At the time, the Canucks addressed a need and added a big body to fill a physical role, but $4 million is a lot to pay for a bottom-pairing guy. At least for Vancouver, it’s Pittsburgh’s problem now."

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Granlund didn't get more EV TOI than Virtanen, Roussel or Goldobin.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
What are you referring to? 5v5 minutes or minutes per game? Virt and roussel didn’t see much time on special teams. Granlund sucks but he was decent on the PK

Even strength ice time per game:
Virtanen 13:33
Rousell 12:50
Granlund 11:04

The difference in the 4 minutes of special teams that Granlund played compared to minute of Pk time for Rousell and the 2 minutes pp/pk fir Virtanen. Overall Gralund saw 14 seconds more per game than Virtanen and a little over a minute more then Rousell. Shift count per game were the same, 21.6 with Virt at 21.7.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Even strength ice time per game:
Virtanen 13:33
Rousell 12:50
Granlund 11:04

The difference in the 4 minutes of special teams that Granlund played compared to minute of Pk time for Rousell and the 2 minutes pp/pk fir Virtanen. Overall Gralund saw 14 seconds more per game than Virtanen and a little over a minute more then Rousell. Shift count per game were the same, 21.6 with Virt at 21.7.
Thanks for this. To me these minutes make sense. Granlund is decent on special teams but useless at 5V5. Either way, no one will miss him

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Earlier reports that Canucks only have around 15 mil of cap space is false.

Confirmed today that even with Luongo retiring...the Canucks have 19 mil ish of cap space.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Is there a chance the Luongo cap recapture penalty could prevent us from signing Myers? I know it's a pipe dream on my part but it's worth asking.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is there a chance the Luongo cap recapture penalty could prevent us from signing Myers? I know it's a pipe dream on my part but it's worth asking.

No. The extra 2.2 is meaningless since were not in cap hell.

Theres also a massive TV deal coming up that will skyrocket the cap.

What the 2.2 mil might do is hold of on any instant long term contract for Markstrom and see if Demko can displace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad