Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Tanev is still an elite defensive defenceman when he's healthy. He'll be more healthy with Myers here now. Why the f*** would we trade him now that we have a glimmer of a decent NHL defence? To give Ferland 7M a year? (I'd love Ferland on Petey's wing but not for that money)

Benn is better on the right side though

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
eriksson has value to ottawa. he bumps their cap for cheap and can still contribute. eriksson plus a goldobin is a good deal for them in isolation.

but the trouble is there is only one ottawa and many bad contracts. so their cap space is scarce and valuable and someone else may pay them far more than eriksson's value to dump a worse contract there . so our one hope is that melnyk won't pay the salary.
Eriksson does not have value to OTT. They are almost at the floor with multiple RFAs to sign

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I’m sorry but why are losing their **** now on four rumours that haven been around for an entire calendar year?
Chill

I like it!

Chill!

Cap space doesn't matter!

Our GM gets solid depth players!

Our depth players are worthless, no GM could get anything for them!

Injuries - who could have known!

Deals can't be evaluated until some unspecified time in the future!

Hindsight is 20/20!

Power forwards take longer to develop! D even longer!

Fewer draft picks means you can scout a better player!

But Gillis!

Chill!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If we plan on trading Tanev and resigning Hutton then assuming Hughes is the real deal then we'd probably start the season looking like this.
Edler Stecher
Hughes Myers
Hutton Benn

So a Benn Hutton pairing?
Get it? Ben Hutton?

{spoiler}Benn.. Jordie Benn... but then you take away the extra n.. and it become Hutton's first name! Ben.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
eriksson has value to ottawa. he bumps their cap for cheap and can still contribute. eriksson plus a goldobin is a good deal for them in isolation.

but the trouble is there is only one ottawa and many bad contracts. so their cap space is scarce and valuable and someone else may pay them far more than eriksson's value to dump a worse contract there . so our one hope is that melnyk won't pay the salary.

As noted, Ottawa is almost at the cap floor.

They have absolutely zero reason to help us out of a godawful contract unless they get a substantial amount back.

Reactions: timw33

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So a Benn Hutton pairing?
Get it? Ben Hutton?

{spoiler}Benn.. Jordie Benn... but then you take away the extra n.. and it become Hutton's first name! Ben.

It’s so bad it’s glorious.....

Also I want to know which dman they want to replace Tanev with. If it’s the bunch they have now minus Tanev then lol

Reactions: daddyohsix

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It’s so bad it’s glorious.....

Also I want to know which dman they want to replace Tanev with. If it’s the bunch they have now minus Tanev then lol
Wondered the same.. then someone informed me Benn plays the R side... So i guess THAT.
But I still don't buy these chain of events occurring.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Wondered the same.. then someone informed me Benn plays the R side... So i guess THAT.
But I still don't buy these chain of events occurring.
Wait are we talking your benn Hutton joke or the pairings. Cause I thought the joke was so bad it was awesome. Not the pairing. Didn’t give that a thought

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Wait are we talking your benn Hutton joke or the pairings. Cause I thought the joke was so bad it was awesome. Not the pairing. Didn’t give that a thought
Yeah... I know... the pairing could be a thing... due to Benn being able to play the right... (If the trade Tanev-re-sign Hutton thing happens).

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
As noted, Ottawa is almost at the cap floor.

They have absolutely zero reason to help us out of a godawful contract unless they get a substantial amount back.

I still think there's a deal to be made that saves Ottawa cash but not cap space.

Eg, Eriksson for Gaborik and Condom saves the Sens almost $2M in cash, and puts a checker on the roster.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a gut feeling, but I don't think Benning and the Canucks are done.....I suppose there's a chance that both Eriksson and Sutter will be at training camp, but it won't be lack of trying to find new homes for their contracts.

And I'm struggling to understand why Hutton is still on the market after all the mediocre d-men who've so far been signed around the league. Hands up anyone who figured that UFA's Granlund, Schenn and Pouliot would actually get contracts elsewhere before Hutton.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
What does this do for Van?

Gets rid of Erikson and let's Gaborik's cap hit go to LTIR. Question I would have would be whether MG's salary would be covered by insurance, which would remove any benefit for Ottawa, unless they feel LE can be a useful bottom 6 for them.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And I'm struggling to understand why Hutton is still on the market after all the mediocre d-men who've so far been signed around the league. Hands up anyone who figured that UFA's Granlund, Schenn and Pouliot would actually get contracts elsewhere before Hutton.

Probably because of Gardiner. Not uncommon that a top UFA taking a while to decide holds up other lesser signings, who are basically the consolation prizes.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Gets rid of Erikson and let's Gaborik's cap hit go to LTIR. Question I would have would be whether MG's salary would be covered by insurance, which would remove any benefit for Ottawa, unless they feel LE can be a useful bottom 6 for them.

Yeah this is the unknown. However, I really doubt the current Gaborik contract is insured - he was injury prone when he signed it and there is precedence for those contracts not being insured (Eg, Nathan Horton's contract isn't insured)

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Ugh.

That sounds grossly like they're doubling around on Marcus Johansson, a defensive liability who scored 3 ES goals in 32 games for Boston but somehow was a 'good addition' because he picked up a clutch goal and a few PP points on a team that went deep in the playoffs. Stay the hell away.

Also, they're just 'getting concerned' that they might have to package a prime asset to unload Eriksson? How was this not completely obvious for the last two years?

And trading Tanev would be hilarious.

Dhaliwal says there's been no contact between Johansson and Vancouver. They have been linked to Ferland, however.

Reactions: MS

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I did this because I'm bored at work:

upload_2019-7-3_17-0-35.png

Jfc, that cap space evaporated quickly (Schaller is waived in the above example). But hey, we've got a $14M 4th line!

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
80 percent of Gaborik's salary is covered by insurance.

Reactions: alternate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad