Canucks Offseason Thread || Sekeres: Canucks shopping Tanev, Sutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
you and i agree. tanev is in a prime position to play less and stay healthy, and they can split the pk time 3 ways so he blocks less shots. it is a perfect opportunity to have him healthy at the tdl for once and move him.

Except Jim is going to want Green to play the hell out of Tanev in a vain attempt to make the playoffs.

And if the team is in a position where they have to trade off sssets at TDL, it won’t be Jim doing it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Alright, here we go.

1) OF COURSE YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE "LANDING SPOT" FOR LOUI ERIKSSON. Is this real life? I had just assumed they had given up trying to trade him and were relying on burying him in Utica. They are "growing concerned?" wtf? Like what, the plan was just to put him on the block and someone would come knocking? God damn it.

2) Trading Sutter is good. But for f*** sakes how many of us were saying trade him at the 2018 deadline? At the 2017 deadline, even. Now they are finally realizing he's not foundational and should be moved and it's too f***ing late because he's played himself out of any value. God damn it.

3) Tanev. I'm not really opposed to shopping tanev, but for a cheaper defenseman?!?!?! You looked at this team and decided that the 4.5M you're paying Tanev is a problem? How do you even. You just spent 12m on two older, worse defenders. God damn it.

4) what in the f*** top six W is available on the ufa market still? Who is this? Do I even want to look? Must be some shitty ex bruin, no? God damn it.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
No team is taking Loui unless Nucks add a considerable piece or it's for another cap dump. His contract sucks and he sucks.

What's perplexing to me, is I don't see anywhere else but here, blaming Benning for that contract signing.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
We have $18m locked up in Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, and Myers in 2021-22, the first year of EP's (and Hughes') next contracts. Gardiner would push that to ~$25. Even if the cap explodes to $90m by then, that's already like 30% of it on 30+ guys who aren't particularly great now.

Second contracts are expensive these days. Fitting EP and Hughes in won't be a problem. Fitting THE REST OF A COMPETITIVE HOCKEY TEAM will start to be.

Reactions: MS

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe Hughes would become that guy in the future.

Worst case scenario, you'd still have a whole bunch of guys that would be worthy 2nd pairing dmen......which would be somewhat reminscient of our 2011 set-up.

Ehhh that 2011 defense had erhoff finish 8 in Norris voting, Hamhung finish 16 and a beastly edler (who was injured) so no this defense is nothing like that 2011 defense

That 2011 bieksa who was the teams 4th would be the #1/2 dman on this team.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'd prefer;
Edler Myers
Hughes Tanev
Benn Stecher

Edler to clean up Myers mistakes and let him concentrate on break out leaving Edler to pick his spots and stay back.
Hughes can roam like a 4th forward and Tanev stays back deep. Stecher has Benn to stay behind and be physical presence letting him roam. I think all pairings compliment each other.
Yes, I agree. That would seem to be very effective as well. Having Myers paired with Hughes makes some sense since they literally make up for each other shortfalls (lack of size vs lack of mobility), however the reasons you layed out for your lineup are just as compelling.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Haha wait, wait this is too good.

They finally have something moderately resembling a NHL defense and they want to move out a defenseman for a forward?? And a "cheaper" replacement for Tanev??

Well, if they just stopped now the offseason would probably be viewed as broadly successful so no doubt they have to go Full Benning and really screw it up. It is the way.

And for everyone worried about playoffs... The team may have a chance if they stand pat now. If management continues to tinker they have no chance. They will make the team worse.

And we all know the guy they want is Ferland, come on meow.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No no just saw he's shopping Tanev from post above and figured Gardiner still unsigned and hes been mentioned before. He must have some hair brained idea to do something silly if he's shopping Tanev though. Again have no link just from reading posts above.

Moving Tanev alone doesn't free up space for Gardiner. He'll cost about $8M and Tanev is only 4.45, so you'd need to ditch Sutter or Eriksson at the same time.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Moving Tanev alone doesn't free up space for Gardiner. He'll cost about $8M and Tanev is only 4.45, so you'd need to ditch Sutter or Eriksson at the same time.
Oh my I didn't want Gardiner at all but if he's getting anything more then 7 oh my goodness. 8 is crazy for him. Please just please keep Tanev until deadline and then trade him with him hopefully healthy and playing well.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Here’s a question why would we assign him to the AHL is it against the rules to send him to the echl? Is there something prohibiting us from assigning him all the way down there?

Canucks have the right to send him to the AHL but that's about it, and there has to be a point where it becomes a problem with the union. Outside of that demotion I don't think you can simply 'make a players life uncomfortable to the point he voids his contract' is something legit.

That's all fan speak though, and isn't an indication of what Benning/Green may do.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
This board will never be happy..............While I think they should have moved Tanev eons ago when he had some real value what's the point of seeing him play mayyyybe 50 games again this year? He's made of glass and that isn't going to change - even if we shelter his deployment a bit I don't see him being able to stay healthy.

Yes this whole exercise has been poor asset management however what's the best alternative here? I would ideally start the season with him - pray he doesn't get hurt in the first 20-30 games then look to move him to a team in need while hoping OJ or someone else can slot into the team. Chances are if you wait til the deadline he'll be injured and you won't get any return. At least salvage something here.............

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
That won't be nearly enough. Goldobin is worthless and Sautner or Lockwood might be worth a 5th-6th round pick at most.

We'd have to move a Virtanen/Woo/Madden/2nd round pick level asset to get rid of Eriksson. At best.

eriksson has value to ottawa. he bumps their cap for cheap and can still contribute. eriksson plus a goldobin is a good deal for them in isolation.

but the trouble is there is only one ottawa and many bad contracts. so their cap space is scarce and valuable and someone else may pay them far more than eriksson's value to dump a worse contract there . so our one hope is that melnyk won't pay the salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad