Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I think Frank Seravalli is doing damage control on his relationship with the Canucks, thats all
He’s doing a trip down western Canada. After a month or so, he’ll be in Edmonton and then Calgary.

I guess he’s trying to learn more about us considering how little coverage we get compared to the East. I think he talked about this in a recent podcast here with Price/Sekeres. He finds our situation interesting hence why he’ll be visiting Vancouver longer than the Alberta cities.

This is good journalism on his part, coming here and actually trying to learn more about the teams here gathering and collecting info that he can base his opinions off of. Much different than sitting behind a computer screen in Pennsylvania and having to reach out to what few sources he has out here. He’s probably also making new connections with the insiders here as well.

I used to clown him for some non credible news reporting about teams out here on the west but I’ve realized it’s probably just a geographical issue. He’s from the eastern part of the states. He’s almost always credible 90% of the time. You gotta respect honest journalism in this day and age, I think he’s sincere. He’s also highly respected. Anyways, poor time to visit Raincouver now but hopefully he enjoys his extended stay.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's "bold predictions", things that very likely aren't going to happen made to generate headlines

ie, who cares

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Martin getting claimed would clear up the AHL situation and get a likable guy a shot on an NHL roster.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He’s doing a trip down western Canada. After a month or so, he’ll be in Edmonton and then Calgary.

I guess he’s trying to learn more about us considering how little coverage we get compared to the East. I think he talked about this in a recent podcast here with Price/Sekeres. He finds our situation interesting hence why he’ll be visiting Vancouver longer than the Alberta cities.

This is good journalism on his part, coming here and actually trying to learn more about the teams here gathering and collecting info that he can base his opinions off of. Much different than sitting behind a computer screen in Pennsylvania and having to reach out to what few sources he has out here. He’s probably also making new connections with the insiders here as well.

I used to clown him for some non credible news reporting about teams out here on the west but I’ve realized it’s probably just a geographical issue. He’s from the eastern part of the states. He’s almost always credible 90% of the time. You gotta respect honest journalism in this day and age, I think he’s sincere. He’s also highly respected. Anyways, poor time to visit Raincouver now but hopefully he enjoys his extended stay.

One minor correction, I believe he’s already in Calgary. He’s only spending a few days in each city with the longest time being in Vancouver.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's "bold predictions", things that very likely aren't going to happen made to generate headlines

ie, who cares

Yup, it’s more I just like listening to him talk.

He did have Boudreau as the first coach to get fired as a bold prediction and got roasted for it.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yup, it’s more I just like listening to him talk.

He did have Boudreau as the first coach to get fired as a bold prediction and got roasted for it.

Oh for sure, I'm a big fan of Frank as well. I just don't think we need to spend any time finding a bigger meaning in a "bold predictions" segment

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Martin claimed by CBJ.

Cleans up the goaltending situation a bit and drops a one-way contract - works out just fine for the Canucks.

Created a thread for this. I don't think there's anything really to discuss, though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
somebody tell me who we should claim
gaudette-roundhouse-kick-wife.png;w=1200;h=800;mode=crop

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm a bit concerned at this point that management is just going to keep Hoglander & Podkolzin in the organization long enough so that their value gets drained to zero. I don't really get why either - this management group should have zero attachment to either guy.

If you want to mitigate dumping draft picks to get out of bad contracts then moving out players who aren't a fit while they still have value is a place to start.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I'm a bit concerned at this point that management is just going to keep Hoglander & Podkolzin in the organization long enough so that their value gets drained to zero. I don't really get why either - this management group should have zero attachment to either guy.

If you want to mitigate dumping draft picks to get out of bad contracts then moving out players who aren't a fit while they still have value is a place to start.
Neither probably has much value. The time to trade "struggling" prospects is within a year or two of being drafted. Once 3-4 years have passed, if the prospect is still struggling, then he has very little value and it gets to a point where you may as well keep the prospect around in the off chance he turns things around rather than taking a late pick.

Reactions: tyhee, MS and arttk

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I would’ve done this with Podkolzin last year but it’s too late now.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Neither probably has much value. The time to trade "struggling" prospects is within a year or two of being drafted. Once 3-4 years have passed, if the prospect is still struggling, then he has very little value and it gets to a point where you may as well keep the prospect around in the off chance he turns things around rather than taking a late pick.

I'd fault them more on Podz because the writing has been on the wall here for a while in terms of him struggling to process the game at the NHL level, and a lot of the knocks on him during his draft year have turned out to be correct.

Hoglander, in my opinion, is a bit of a different beast due to his early success at the NHL level. He's just ended up spinning his tires at this point, unfortunately, and it looks like his compete level may not be able to make up for the deficiencies in his game.

Reactions: VanillaCoke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad