Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Waiver Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
With Vasilevskiy getting back surgery, Martin has to be good as gone. Can't see the TBL going with Jonas Johansson as a starter. Martin has experience in their org too.

Surprised we couldn't cut a super cheap deal for him though. Maybe a blessing we got DeSmith when we did?

Maybe as additional depth but you'd think they'd find a way to get one of the other available goalies. Luukkonen (Sabres), Vladar (Flames), Lankinen (Predators), Hart/Sandstrom/Petersen (Flyers), Kahkonen (Sharks), Driedger (Kraken), and Thompson (Golden Knights) could all be on the block.

Reactions: moiderer and MS

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I don't think any of them were Penguin property back then.

Ty Smith on waivers this early is crazy and he'll certainly be claimed. Whoever claims him can even get him into multiple preseason games which is unusual.

Really didn’t look that closely into the players, I was just making a cheap they love former Penguins joke.

Smith may get claimed, but I wouldn’t put in a claim. Small, offensive LHD. I am usually the first one to stick up for smaller players that are effective like Hughes and Stetcher( boggles my mind there are still negative comments about Hughes), but Smith isn’t effective. You have to shelter the hell out of him, and then I don’t know if he brings value. It’s not a good sign that he was waived this early.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Maybe as additional depth but you'd think they'd find a way to get one of the other available goalies. Luukkonen (Sabres), Vladar (Flames), Lankinen (Predators), Hart/Sandstrom/Petersen (Flyers), Kahkonen (Sharks), Driedger (Kraken), and Thompson (Golden Knights) could all be on the block.

They have limited cap space, aka above the limit by $73,333. Vasy is expected back midway through the season, so I think that would rule out the higher paid guys like:
Vladar - $2,200,000
Lankinen - $2,000,000
Kahkonen - $2,750,000
Driedger - $3,500,000
Petersen - $5,000,000
Hart - $3,979,000

So any trade for those guys will need to involve salary being shipped out, which looking at their cap situation, no one really stands out as being a cap casualty.

They would need a lower cap like Luukkonen, Sandstrom, Thompson, or Martin. Someone who when Vasy is back, they can easily put on waivers and send them down if they clear with no cap issues.

Reactions: Lindgren

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They have limited cap space, aka above the limit by $73,333. Vasy is expected back midway through the season, so I think that would rule out the higher paid guys like:
Vladar - $2,200,000
Lankinen - $2,000,000
Kahkonen - $2,750,000
Driedger - $3,500,000
Petersen - $5,000,000
Hart - $3,979,000

So any trade for those guys will need to involve salary being shipped out, which looking at their cap situation, no one really stands out as being a cap casualty.

They would need a lower cap like Luukkonen, Sandstrom, Thompson, or Martin. Someone who when Vasy is back, they can easily put on waivers and send them down if they clear with no cap issues.

Yup, no argument. Logan Thompson is the guy that immediately jumps out as a Lightning-like acquisition.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm not getting why Vegas would even think of trading Thompson?

Lehner will be on LTIR and Thompson is locked into the platoon there with Hill at a bargain salary.

While he hasn't asked for a trade there's indications that he'd like to be moved to another team.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I can't see there being much of a chance of that happening. Vegas is a ruthless team and they don't do favours to guys helping them with bargain contracts.
I think the chances of thompson not being traded equal the likelihood that hill falters during the season and thompson takes over

If that makes sense

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
there was lots of talk that logan thompson isn't a good fit with vegas for whatever reason. i wouldn't be shocked to see him moved. he should have good value on that contract and las vegas aren't afraid to make moves like that

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
what makes him better than rathbone? he's played more nhl games but they were all on a new jersey team that also played pk subban, ryan murray and colton white. his ahl numbers are worse also. his only advantage over rathbone is he's a year younger but he's still old for a player that still needs to make massive improvements to have a solid nhl career
They're not even similar.

If you gave Rathbone Smith's brain you'd have an easy top 4 D.

Rathbone is fast and physically gifted but doesn't read the game well and seems to process things too slowly for the NHL.

Smith has great hockey sense but slow feet (probably not fatally so).

It's not a very strong comparison.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

His three cold predictions:

1) Canucks are a wild card team
2) Demko wins the Vezina
3) Kraken miss the playoffs

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

2) Demko wins the Vezina

If he actually believes that about Demko, hopefully he has some money on it in Vegas. He’d make a pretty penny.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

2) Demko wins the Vezina

Doubt the Kraken miss the playoffs. I know it’s the preseason but is a good indicator of their strengths. If they sort out their special teams they could be a contender imo.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Doubt the Kraken miss the playoffs. I know it’s the preseason but is a good indicator of their strengths. If they sort out their special teams they could be a contender imo.
His point about so many career years and having suspect goaltending are correct. I don’t see a team on paper that is a lock.

I think Seattle, Vancouver and Calgary are all fighting it out for a playoff spot.

If Demko wins a Vezina this team isn’t a wild card and I suspect they would have made a trade for a solid Dman early in the season, because as much as our D group is better, I don’t think it’s that much better at this point.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
His point about so many career years and having suspect goaltending are correct. I don’t see a team on paper that is a lock.

I think Seattle, Vancouver and Calgary are all fighting it out for a playoff spot.

If Demko wins a Vezina this team isn’t a wild card and I suspect they would have made a trade for a solid Dman early in the season, because as much as our D group is better, I don’t think it’s that much better at this point.

Highly doubt Demko wins the Vezina. I mean sure...if that happens the Canucks will be a wildcard team by default but I don't see it. While people talk about Seattle regressing to the mean and career years I don't think that's really applicable. They are an excellent ES team who are undermined by special teams...which is sustainable. Tonight was a good example. I don't see them going away quietly.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Call up SJ and see if we can finesse a Boeser + young player for Labanc trade

Reactions: Nucker101

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
With Vasilevskiy getting back surgery, Martin has to be good as gone. Can't see the TBL going with Jonas Johansson as a starter. Martin has experience in their org too.

Surprised we couldn't cut a super cheap deal for him though. Maybe a blessing we got DeSmith when we did?

After last year? I doubt anyone is chasing him.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The Kraken don’t look any better than Vancouver. LA has horrific goaltending and a poison pill in the locker room. Vegas has little depth and could have a cup hangover. The playoffs are a real possibility for Vancouver. The Pacific Div is tough but I will only concede a spot to Edmonton. It could easily produce five playoff teams. Goes to show the Neckbeards who called it a crap division are out to lunch.

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Ty Smith wouldn't be able to shut down Tanner Glass if glass is at the end of a 2 minute shift.

The devils realized they couldn't rehabilitate or teach his defensive game to an acceptable level. Dubas made the same assessment most likely.

I don't think Smith is interesting. He'll predictably get reamed defensively even on the 3rd pairing and Toc isn't going to play him.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Highly doubt Demko wins the Vezina. I mean sure...if that happens the Canucks will be a wildcard team by default but I don't see it. While people talk about Seattle regressing to the mean and career years I don't think that's really applicable. They are an excellent ES team who are undermined by special teams...which is sustainable. Tonight was a good example. I don't see them going away quietly.
I agree on Demko, for one I don’t think we have the dcore to put him in the position to win, and although he is good enough to win, he would need to be measurably better than someone playing on the east coast to get the votes.

I don’t disagree with you in Seattle, but when I look at the lineup I just don’t see a team that is good enough to just be expected to qualify. Not to say that I don’t think they are good enough to make the playoffs, just that I think they need to have a few things break their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad