Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Unwrapping Some Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Assuming we could make the cap implications work in the medium/long term, I'd consider Lekk in a package for a re-signed Guentzel 🤷‍♂️

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Assuming we could make the cap implications work in the medium/long term, I'd consider Lekk in a package for a re-signed Guentzel 🤷‍♂️

I'd do that, as long as it's not Willander. I think that's the sort of "win now" trade you make in terms of winger in, winger out. Preferably the other piece is Mihkeyev or Kuzmenko, but they may ask for Garland since he's the better player (or Hoglander).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I wouldnt..Guentzel is a fine player, but he's 30 this year..Giving up a young natural goalscorer in Lekk is too steep of a price..IMO.

Also, how the hell would you fit Guentzel into our salary structure..He's currently seeking a retirement contract.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I'd do that, as long as it's not Willander. I think that's the sort of "win now" trade you make in terms of winger in, winger out. Preferably the other piece is Mihkeyev or Kuzmenko, but they may ask for Garland since he's the better player (or Hoglander).

Agreed.

Right now I'd consider Willander an untouchable unless we could get some kind of young-ish impact 22-24 y/o RHD back somehow.

Lekk has promise but is probably at least 2-3 years away from being an impact scorer in the NHL which doesn't help us much with Miller's current "peak" which is kind of what I am personally focused on taking advantage of if possible.

Wilds are missing the playoffs

I wonder what would it cost to get Eriksson Ek, a 60 pts 2C making 5m til 2029…

1st + 2nd + Ep2 + Kuz ?

This would also be a player to go aggressively after IMO.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I wouldnt..Guentzel is a fine player, but he's 30 this year..Giving up a young natural goalscorer in Lekk is too steep of a price..IMO.

Also, how the hell would you fit Guentzel into our salary structure..He's currently seeking a retirement contract.
It would hurt, but I think Lekk is a few years away and by the time he's kicking ass, Miller will likely be on the downswing, so there's no real net gain for us.

Obviously the salary/cap issues are a problem with Guentzel, that's a given.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

1st + 2nd + Ep2 + Kuz ?

I would love JEE as well, but don't see the Wild trading them even missing the playoffs, unless the player requests out.

On a decent deal for the next several years so we would have to make the Wild an absolute overpayment to get them to even think about it.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

1st + 2nd + Ep2 + Kuz ?
Man I keep trying to make this work in my head but the Wild delusionally think they can contend with 14 million in dead cap space, and cheap tough minutes 2c like Ek enables that delusion. They SHOULD be amassing futures and Targeting 2025-26... But they're deluded, so.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Man I keep trying to make this work in my head but the Wild delusionally think they can contend with 14 million in dead cap space, and cheap tough minutes 2c like Ek enables that delusion. They SHOULD be amassing futures and Targeting 2025-26... But they're deluded, so.

Eriksson-Ek can/will be a big part of what they do in 2025-26 and beyond though. It's not like he's some 32yr old guy who will be done by then.

Reactions: andora and Vector

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It would hurt, but I think Lekk is a few years away and by the time he's kicking ass, Miller will likely be on the downswing, so there's no real net gain for us.

I never like this direction. So Miller will be on the downswing, you always need new blood coming in. We are not so established that we should be selling off all of our assets to tinker with a winning line up.

Sure, if a great deal comes along, go for it. As long as it doesn't handicap up too much long term, and it doesn't screw up our cap structure next year. We have been fighting cap crap for 8 - 9 years, and we are finally clearing out of it (cough cough OEL); trading our prospects for players that are going to give us cap problems is just ... well..... problematic.

And I want to keep Lekkerimaki and Willander period. No problem with our 1st going since we are clearly not going to pick higher than 20. We have 4 - 6 good prospects in Silovs, tolopilo, Podkolzin, EP2. Brewski and Bains. (would hate to lose Pods actually) .. and there are 7 - 8 players that should easily be available in a trade.

But FFS don't go begging like jumbo did all the time. Let them come to us.

Reactions: oceanchild and Flik

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Deadline is going to be very interesting this year. When you think of most contenders, usually they'll identify 6-7 players they believe are core to the team's identity and contention window, with the rest of the pieces being somewhat fungible based on contracts.

For the Blackhawks, it was Toews, Kane, Sharp, Seabrook, and Keith when they pried it open in 2009, then they made the decision to add Hossa to it (had to jettison a lot of depth to keep it intact). The Kings were built around Quick, Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown, then added Jeff Carter afterwards. Could go down a list of teams like the Lightning/Bruins/etc., but you get the point.

With Vancouver, I'm curious if Alvin thinks he needs to add another core LT piece to the established 6 we have (Miller, Boesser, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, Demko), or if he's going to aim for guys with contracts of 1-2 years left on it to maximize the window of Demko + Hughes current contracts * Miller's prime.

The natural inclination when dealing a 1st is to get a Hronek-type of player who you can add to your core, but I don't know if we have the LT cap room to accommodate without demolishing the team's potential depth. The caveat is if that player is already on a LT contract for a reasonable price (like Joel Erikson Ek in Minny), but I don't believe we have the assets/are willing to give up what's likely needed to get it (Willander + 1st + Cap filler + potentially more), if they're even on the block to begin with.

That means if the team is going to fix the second line issue, its likely going to have be either a rental or someone with 1.5 years of term left. Unironically, what we were trying to offer the rest of the league in JT Miller two seasons back (with 1.5 years on his contract left) is the kind of player the Canucks should be looking for :laugh:

No one in the league who's available is playing like Miller was that season, so the ask should be more in the range of what our max offer could look like (Kuzmenko + 1st + Brz). I mentioned Giroux a few pages back, but that's unlikely after reading about his family situation + why he originally went to Ottawa. Other targets that come to mind (based on where I think teams will be by the deadline) are Konecny, Buch, Zuccarello, Jenner, or, if you want to do a cheap rental only move, Max Pac.

Curious to see what players shake loose as the season progresses, as there's a lot of potential options that fit the mold who we might not even know are available (like what happened with Hronek last season).

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
View attachment 800899

Like Rick Tocchet, there are certain non-negotiables for me. Corey Perry is one of the non-negotiables. I hate the dude, I think he's a loser, and I'm extremely skeptical of his situation given the lack of transparency over what happened in Chicago.

1st + 2nd + Ep2 + Kuz ?
JEE is a younger, more physical, well rounded version of Horvat, signed to an insanely good value LTD. Unless they go into full blown rip it down to the studs mode, he will not be moved. If they did go down that road, they would ask for something like: Kuzmenko (cap balancing), 1st, Lekkermaki, Willander.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I think Lekk is closer than you think (he's already playing in a mens league)...You'll have him on a number of years on a ELC...Certainly gives the team more room to manoeuvre.

Guentzel (a pending UFA) is seeking $8M per (with substantial term), on a retirement deal (the Miller contract)..Do we want to go down that road again ?...Miller and Guentzel aren't that far apart in age, they will be on the downswing together.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The problem with Guentzel is his age. I would move Lekkerimaki for a big piece but not a guy that's going to sign an anchor contract.

The big names aside, I think Henrique is a name that makes alot of sense. Pending UFA, probably won't cost a ton, can play C/W. That would be an interesting target.

The other thing is I think Kuzmenkos situation needs to be figured out, he's not a fit & we need $$$ to make moves. If they can move him now I think they should do it. Maybe a team wanting to compete next year would take him for their rental (that's a better fit with us) or maybe we can get some kind of pick we can flip, but it's hard to see him being trusted in the playoffs.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Regardless of acquisition cost, why would the Wild trade him?
Because we want him and that’s all that matters. Realistically I don’t see why the would move him. And if they did they would be a heck of a bidding war and we would have to give up Willander+ in any deal.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

1st + 2nd + Ep2 + Kuz ?

Start with one of Lekk or Willander and add from there

He’s not being moved unless its for a premium package

Willander + Hoglander + 1st

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think Lekk is closer than you think (he's already playing in a mens league)...You'll have him on a number of years on a ELC...Certainly gives the team more room to manoeuvre.

Guentzel (a pending UFA) is seeking $8M per (with substantial term), on a retirement deal (the Miller contract)..Do we want to go down that road again ?...Miller and Guentzel aren't that far apart in age, they will be on the downswing together.
If Guentzel is wanting that sort of money, no thanks. We already have a fortune going to be going to EP (12ish) Hronek (7+) Zadorov (4+) on top of Hughes, Miller, etc (including Demko). That list sits at about $67+M for just 10 players. You really want to trade away a ton to acquire another player who will handicap us even more?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem with Guentzel is he is as tiny as Hansel.

Jake is as tough as they come.

His size has not been an issue at any point in his career. His main injury in his career was a cheapshot by Chabot after a celly.

Guentzel would be a near perfect add for Elias Pettersson's wing. But, it would likely only be for one year. If he's leaving PIT, I imagine it's because we can't agree on a contract and there is no reason for him to not cash in after signing such a sweetheart deal during his prime. 9.5 x 7 is the starting point for him IMO.

I do think Vancouver and PIT make a lot of sense though. If the Canucks package Kuzmenko, a 1st and a player like Podkolzin for Jake it allows PIT to pretend they are competitive this year, but are also "building for the future".

If the deal is Hoglander, Podkolzin and a 1st like Canucks Media is "projecting", I would also bite, but some form of cap has to come back to PIT right? Could see PIT biting on Myers tbh...

So, Guentzel for Hoglander, Podkolzin, Myers and a 1st with some retention on Myers to make it fair cap wise?

Reactions: andora

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Rental Forwards:

Tarasenko
Guentzel
Perron
Sprong
Fischer
Roslovic
Blackwell
Duhaime
Henrique
Silfverberg
Carrick
Monahan

Tarasenko or Perron could be great additions at a cheaper cost than Guentzel. Roslovic, Henrique and Monahan are centers.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
My wants:
Konecny (if and when Philly drops out)
JEE (extremely unlikely + would cost Willander)
Guentzel
Cozens/Mittlestadt
Laughton
Crouse (unlikely to be traded)
Hertl
B. Schenn
Shane Pinto
Vatrano
Jenner
Hartman

Dont wants:
Lindholm (will command a lot of money)
Buchnevich (Not a Tocchet type player)
Monahan (vanilla, low energy)
Giroux (age)
Couture (injury history/contract)
Perry (lol)
Tarasenko (
Laine (unless retained)
Greenway (redundant + high asking price for a bottom 6er)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad