Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Unwrapping Some Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
@Canucker
The coaching staff's insistence on using him on the PK is mind boggling to me...removing that from his work load would cut down on a good number of his least effective minutes...he's really not suited to do that kind of work. He looks like he is, but he's soooo not.

I suspect this is partially due to Soucy being out. Myers is relatively fine on the PK in short bursts since as others have noted, he's surprisingly pretty good in the neutral zone. He's just being overutilized. Which I wouldn't have as much of a problem with if he wasn't getting paid so much.

It's why I'm willing to cut Cole a lot more slack. He's both older and paying way above what's expected of a guy making 3M.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Pettersson Extension:
-no urgency
-communication with his agent has been terrific
-everyone knows where they stand
-if he's Pettersson, concentrate on playing
-lots of time to sort this out
-will state the obvious, really wants him to stay in Vancouver

Hughes:
-the North-South system has really benefited Hughes
-not sure if there's any other player in the league that does more for their team
-such a special player and makes Rutherford's job fun

Vancouver Job:
-took it because it's a challenge
-was going to retire after he finished in Carolina
-figured he'd be in Pittsburgh for a couple of years
-felt it was really special for Aquilini to come to his house
-spent 5 hours at his home talking to ownership
-took a few days to talk about it with his family afterwards
-first year and a half was tough
-thinks there a bit ahead of the curve from where he thought they'd be

Ownership:
-sometimes talks with Francesco a couple of times a week and other times where it's a couple of weeks between communication
-has been really good to work with
-fully understands why people are impatient in Vancouver
-others impatience doesn't change his own patience
-"...if it doesn't work for other people and they get impatient then that's fine. I really don't need to work."

Rutherford Extension:
-has talked about an extension with ownership
-not a priority to him

World Cup:
-grew up a Maple Leaf fan
-cheers for the Hurricanes and Penguins
-just looks for good games
-especially supports players he's been associated with

That's only a short 11 minute excerpt from a hour long interview. I didn't want to listen to the whole thing so here's my notes on the Kuzmenko stuff:

Kuzmenko:
-we're a little bit disappointed
-he worked very hard this summer; he's in top condition
-probably didn't work on the things you need to be in hockey shape
-got a little bit more attention this year coming off a terrific year
-he's a good player, highly skilled
-can go back in at any time and get things going again
-he's not someone who all of a sudden can't play the game
-as of today he's a Vancouver Canuck
-Allvin does most of the conversations with Milstein
-everyone understands where the player's at and what he needs to do to improve
-both sides get to express how they feel

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So is everyone else just able to ignore the paragraph poster and all the asinine things he posts?

Reactions: dez and andora

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

Pettersson Extension:
-no urgency
-communication with his agent has been terrific
-everyone knows where they stand
-if he's Pettersson, concentrate on playing
-lots of time to sort this out
-will state the obvious, really wants him to stay in Vancouver

Hughes:
-the North-South system has really benefited Hughes
-not sure if there's any other player in the league that does more for their team
-such a special player and makes Rutherford's job fun

Vancouver Job:
-took it because it's a challenge
-was going to retire after he finished in Carolina
-figured he'd be in Pittsburgh for a couple of years
-felt it was really special for Aquilini to come to his house
-spent 5 hours at his home talking to ownership
-took a few days to talk about it with his family afterwards
-first year and a half was tough
-thinks there a bit ahead of the curve from where he thought they'd be

Ownership:
-sometimes talks with Francesco a couple of times a week and other times where it's a couple of weeks between communication
-has been really good to work with
-fully understands why people are impatient in Vancouver
-others impatience doesn't change his own patience
-"...if it doesn't work for other people and they get impatient then that's fine. I really don't need to work."

Rutherford Extension:
-has talked about an extension with ownership
-not a priority to him

World Cup:
-grew up a Maple Leaf fan
-cheers for the Hurricanes and Penguins
-just looks for good games
-especially supports players he's been associated with

That's only a short 11 minute excerpt from a hour long interview. I didn't want to listen to the whole thing so here's my notes on the Kuzmenko stuff:

Kuzmenko:
-we're a little bit disappointed
-he worked very hard this summer; he's in top condition
-probably didn't work on the things you need to be in hockey shape
-got a little bit more attention this year coming off a terrific year
-he's a good player, highly skilled
-can go back in at any time and get things going again
-he's not someone who all of a sudden can't play the game
-as of today he's a Vancouver Canuck
-Allvin does most of the conversations with Milstein
-everyone understands where the player's at and what he needs to do to improve
-both sides get to express how they feel

man i love the coles notes versions you post.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
@Canucker

I suspect this is partially due to Soucy being out. Myers is relatively fine on the PK in short bursts since as others have noted, he's surprisingly pretty good in the neutral zone. He's just being overutilized. Which I wouldn't have as much of a problem with if he wasn't getting paid so much.

It's why I'm willing to cut Cole a lot more slack. He's both older and paying way above what's expected of a guy making 3M.
Disagree about Myers being "relatively fine" on the PK, in short bursts or otherwise...obviously short bursts are better, but he's been deployed on the first PK unit and he's way out of his depth. If he were going against the opponent's PP2 in the last few seconds, OK I guess...if you don't have any better options available (which is also mind boggling concern)...but he's out there against the opposition's top PPs...he has absolutely zero positional discipline and reads the play terribly, I would rather they use a defensively responsible 3rd forward to kill penalties than use Myers against any PP1.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
“As of today he’s a Vancouver Canuck”.

Trying not to read into that one - there seems to be a lot of smoke around Kuzmenko right now.

If they do trade him it'll be in a deadline deal, I'd think. The team is doing well, it's not any skin off your back, and his value is in the tank. I doubt they're particularly motivated to trade him currently, unless someone blows their socks off, which they won't. Value shoppers calling right now probably.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Hopefully if they do make a move with kuzy its not a bigger trade that also has them include Lekkerimaki / Willander or other solid prospects.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Kuzmenko:
-Kuzmenko should have value
-thinks if the Canucks can switch Kuzmenko for a better fit then he could begin to view the Canucks as a legitimate Stanley Cup threat
-hasn't dug into fits
-Penguins have 45 days to figure out if Jake Guentzel is available

Pettersson:
-thinks the Canucks have been quietly "pushing along" the entire time in regards to extension talks
-Pettersson side has been stalling
-Canucks are more than ready to make a deal
-doesn't think there's a committment issue or demands
-pleased with how the year has developed and loves seeing the team in contender mode

Hronek:
-reconfirms he's an 8m+ player
-casual pre-amble conversations about an extension
-want to get Pettersson done first

Zadorov:
-doesn't know what the true market value is
-a lot of teams view him as a 3rd pair defencemen
-he thinks he's getting a payday
-Canucks can't afford to overpay for a 3rd pair defencemen
-sense is something like a 5x5

Garland:
-thinks they are pretty comfortable where things are at
-Canucks are not in any mode to shuffle things around to offload that deal
-counting stats would have to be way better for teams to be truly interested

Practice Facility:
-can't believe the Canucks practice situation
-UBC is a spartan facility for an NHL team; way less than ideal
-realisitic is expensive but what's the excuse for all these other teams that have these practice facilities in very expensive locations; mentions Sharks and Capitals
-flip-flopping of how much the Canucks spend downtown vs UBC must be pretty annoying

Local TV Rights:
-these deals matter because they could impact the cap
-NHL isn't even getting 100cents on the dollar for what they originally negotiated; says it's about 80-85 cents which is still better than nothing
-NHL was concerned that they would be handed back all the rights in the middle of the season
-may see more regional entities get out of TV deals
-cap could go down after next season if they can't make up the revenue lost from these deals
-chance some teams go full streaming or build their own broadcast network

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m feeling saucy and I don’t want anybody to come on here and shoot this down because it will make me feel less saucy

Trade Kuzmenko for the whatever it ends up being ( 5.5 of cap space )
Trade whatever it takes for Noah Dobson
Lemmerimaki, Willander and our 1st +
Let’s just get crazy

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m feeling saucy and I don’t want anybody to come on here and shoot this down because it will make me feel less saucy

Trade Kuzmenko for the whatever it ends up being ( 5.5 of cap space )
Trade whatever it takes for Noah Dobson
Lemmerimaki, Willander and our 1st +
Let’s just get crazy
Dobson untouchable bro. Arm and a leg if you want him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Jokes and memes aside, I'm not gonna totally shit on the idea that Myers will remain with us after this season, as long as he's not the six million dollar man, and gets the proper minutes/baby sitter (please stop playing him in OT or the final minutes of the game...).

Zadorov I'm not sure. I know everyone says he's only a 5/6 D but, from what I see I think you can shift him up to 3/4 D when needed. And his physical presence, even if he's not actively drilling people's faces, should not be underestimated.

Based on what I see this season so far I'll happily rescind my original nickname of Skeletor and instead call him Mr. Clean while eating a bowl of crows (or let the crows eat me, whichever is easier). His moves, whether it made sense or not at the time, had the intended result. Incredibly refreshing to have people who are not brain-damaged running the organization, and I no longer need to worry about my own IQ lowering when I listen to them talk.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Pettersson:
-thinks the Canucks have been quietly "pushing along" the entire time in regards to extension talks
-Pettersson side has been stalling
-Canucks are more than ready to make a deal
-doesn't think there's a committment issue or demands
-pleased with how the year has developed and loves seeing the team in contender mode

This was a weird segment because they all said it wasn't about demands, and then Sekeres rubbed his fingers together in the money symbol and Seravalli agreed if the Canucks put "the right number" in front of AAV it would probably get done, which somewhat contradicts itself.

Anyway, I think Pettersson is waiting to get visibility on next year's cap number and see what the market looks like this coming offseason. Out of all the reasons his camp would be stalling at this point, it seems the most likely.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This was a weird segment because they all said it wasn't about demands, and then Sekeres rubbed his fingers together in the money symbol and Seravalli agreed if the Canucks put "the right number" in front of AAV it would probably get done, which somewhat contradicts itself.

I think what they were trying to say was that a deal could get done right away if they present a big enough number.

Reactions: TruGr1t
Feb 19, 2018
If Pettersson isn’t a complete liar he will take a little less in order to have a winning team around him. He keeps talking about all he wants to do is win and be on a contender so let’s see what his contract demands are.

We are first in the league at the moment and a complete wagon and he keeps pushing things off to put the team in a compromising position even though his game has fallen off from his crazy start.

Time for Petey to put his money where his mouth is.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
depends. For a guy like Guentzel, Lekkerimaki + a 1st along with Kuzmenko will likely be the ask.

Rutherford said something along the lines that they are willing to slightly overpay to get the players the Canucks want.

It is a Very long shot but it sounds like Zegras may be available.

He was a player the Canucks wanted in his draft year though i suppose the scouting staff is mostly different now and it would be the pro staff doing the assessment.

He has only 2 points so far this season in 12 games and had a bad contract dispute with the Ducks.

I could see them offering Letterkenny and Kuzmenko and Podz or a pick for Zegras.

Kuzmenko's and Zegras' cap hits are basically the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad