Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So you're saying he's a Schrodinger's hockey player?
He didn't work out.

Or did he?

1713511400088.png

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Nobody is taking him at that cap hit.
I think theirs still a lot of GMs's that would take him, but we may have to retain some salary or take back a player who is has a very high skill set but is unable to lead his current team to any success.

Again, I would love to be wrong. I would love for him to come out shift after shift tilting the ice in our favor and justify his salary. I want more than anything to be proven wrong during these playoffs.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
You said a poor evaluation of EP’s play means you don’t know what you’re watching. I disagreed and said he’s been bad against high intensity teams this year. You said he was still responsible defensively (which you haven’t qualified or quantified) and a few other posters said he and Hughes still produced, so I posted their counting stats to prove he hasn’t. You claimed I stat watch (I’ve watched every single game this year despite living in Toronto) and I provided some qualitative critiques. Another poster became obsessed with the level of hockey I played, presumably because it makes them feel reassured that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I played AAA and a few games for Surrey in the BCHL, I was nothing special and accordingly didn’t pursue a career in hockey. That information is irrelevant.

I think that’s a pretty fair summary of the last few pages, let me know if you disagree.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You said a poor evaluation of EP’s play means you don’t know what you’re watching. I disagreed and said he’s been bad against high intensity teams this year. You said he was still responsible defensively (which you haven’t qualified or quantified) and a few other posters said he and Hughes still produced, so I posted their counting stats to prove he hasn’t. You claimed I stat watch (I’ve watched every single game this year despite living in Toronto) and I provided some qualitative critiques. Another poster became obsessed with the level of hockey I played, presumably because it makes them feel reassured that I don’t know what I’m talking about. I played AAA and a few games for Surrey in the BCHL, I was nothing special and accordingly didn’t pursue a career in hockey. That information is irrelevant.

I think that’s a pretty fair summary of the last few pages, let me know if you disagree.
You are incorrect.

I made qualitative comments about Petey's play to substantiate. I said that people making critiques of Petey's play are doing so disconnected from his actual play and looking only at boxscore stats, to which you responded to me citing only boxscore stats.

I don't know or care what you were arguing with other posters.

Reactions: andora

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It was the greatest spring of my life.

I was a commercial diver and contracted out to a fish farm on an island in the Broughton Archipelago. We stayed in a work camp and every day after work I caught rockfish and Dungeness crab and washed it down with beer at dinner time and watched the games. We got only one channel on the TV but thankfully it was the CBC and the picture wasn't too bad.

When my 8-day shift would end I'd drive back down-island heading home to Port Coquitlam where my girlfriend was waiting for me and for the load of Dungeness crab she insisted I bring home. I remember getting off the ferry at Horseshoe Bay and I was at the corner of Hastings and Highway 1 right near the PNE and the Pacific Coliseum. We had just clinched the conference. The game had just ended and the corner of Hastings and Highway 1 was insane. No one gave a shit about the traffic lights. It was just a huge celebration. People blocking traffic, girls hanging out car windows. I was high as a kite and totally sober.

Game 7 against the Rangers was a total boondoggle though. It was shift end again and the weather was bad so the crew boat was late picking us up. We didn't want to travel back down-island and miss the game. We just wanted to get to the bar in Port McNeil and watch the game and then grab a room for the night after the game was over. We missed the first period and a half but we finally made it to the bar. Then things went from bad to worse. The projector screen would heat up and shut down about every 5 minutes so we'd then have to all crowd around the single little TV over the bar. Then maybe 10 minutes later the projector TV would kick back in and we'd move back to general seating and watch the game on the big screen. Five minutes later the projector conks out again and we're back to the little TV. It was the worst possible ending to the magical run for the Stanley Cup.

It was all so good and all so promising... until it wasn't.
somewhat similar story for me on game 7 with calgary. i was on a water taxi up the coast out of lund. we delayed in the bar watching grainy cbc ubut eventually the driver wanted to go so when the first overtime ended we had to go. we had a big boom box with radio reception on the dock and again when we landed but nothing in the tin boat. somewhere on the boat trip bure scored and robson was still in the moment when we landed. i had to wait days to see the replay.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i'd like to hear a critique of playing higher level hockey making your opinions more relevant without reference to points.

Reactions: andora

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It would be a shame to have to block another user but it’s my choice to not read this type of stuff.
If you think paying somebody to be a no show when it matters most is reason for you to block me then I think you should. We probably wouldn't align on most things.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
somewhat similar story for me on game 7 with calgary. i was on a water taxi up the coast out of lund. we delayed in the bar watching grainy cbc ubut eventually the driver wanted to go so when the first overtime ended we had to go. we had a big boom box with radio reception on the dock and again when we landed but nothing in the tin boat. somewhere on the boat trip bure scored and robson was still in the moment when we landed. i had to wait days to see the replay.
Bro!!! :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: krutovsdonut

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
20 goals, 47 points, Conor Garland is suddenly very tradeable and also very untradeable.
He really has evolved his game to be more direct and now he can actually play with top6 guys like Miller and Petey. I think it's fine to say that he is now a top6 guy even if he is playing on the 3rd line, especially if Lindholm can keep up with his form and be a close to PPG center for that line.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
People always fall into this trap of thinking that now is the new forever and overreact.

We have all seen the kind of player Pettersson can be. He could be dealing with some kind of injury that's preventing him from playing at his peak ability, but still healthy enough to play and be way better than whoever might take his spot.

Saying we need to unload or buy out a player when they hit a rough patch is just silly.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
EP isn't a McDavid or MacKinnon or Kucherov. He's a 90-100 point player who, at his best, can take over games, and at his worst is frustrating but still racks up points somehow. He is a wonderful piece to have on the team, we have him locked up and have stability in our top 6.

I was a little worried that we didn't have that GUY on our team to really take over, but I think we do. Miller is more of that in the forward ranks, but Hughes is actually our gamebreaker. I think we have a very good (not elite) top 6, an elite goalie, arguably the best D in the game, and a potential Adams-winning coach who has implemented a system that can really work. What a difference in perspective a year makes.

Reactions: TruKnyte

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I think only one poster suggested we should trade Pettersson and it was quickly dismissed as silly. He’s capable of being a difference maker. For whatever reason he’s been off for most of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad