Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
biggest offseason move is to find a legit scoring threat partner for petterson. if hronek wants to get paid for 8mill he can get the boot also trade him for some picks back and a young foward u25 age. then go fa shopping in the summer. fix the D again if myers/cole leave elsewhere.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
biggest offseason move is to find a legit scoring threat partner for petterson. if hronek wants to get paid for 8mill he can get the boot also trade him for some picks back and a young foward u25 age. then go fa shopping in the summer. fix the D again if myers/cole leave elsewhere.
So what's your plan to replace Hronek?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
“Jim Benning has done a heck of a job” after the OEL trade was made. You can’t arrogantly talk down to others on the validity of their opinions when you held a dumbass opinion for 8 years despite the mounting data proving Benning was terrible at his job.
Did they actually say this? You can’t come back from that.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Did they actually say this? You can’t come back from that.

sort of but not really. i just searched, link below. blueberries can correct me, but it looks like naslund actually said it on august 26 2020, so a full year before the oel trade.

that post was the day after the canucks beat the knights 5-2 in game 2 of the bubble playoff run and literally to the day the highest point in benning's tenure with the canucks having just won two playoff series, pettersson, miller, hughes and demko all looking solid, and tying it up against the knights. that was the apex and a brief moment when benning redeeming himself certainly seemed possible. it was before the tanev/toffoli/stecher offseason debacle and the bubble season from hell and the oel trade.

if i am correct that this is when he said it, it kind of seems to me a bit petty and disingenuous for blueberries to hold naslund to that statement at all given the date and context let alone to misrepresent the timing and associate it with the oel trade. just seems like enthusiasm in the moment during a playoff run.

naslund also ripped benning in that post for early moves as a gm calling them "terrible and humilating". that seems like important additional context.

i also found multiple examples in the search of blueberries repeatedly bringing this up. unless naslund said it twice, it seems blueberries has been stripping it of context, deliberately misrepresenting when naslund said it, and relentlessly shitposting naslund about it for years. if that is correct then to me the fact we're discussing it right now says a lot more about blueberries than it does about naslund. naslund may be right or wrong about hockey but that post is not the smoking gun evidence either way and the way blueberries is misusing it reminds me of an elementary school bully teasing someone in the playground. kind of gross.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
sort of but not really. i just searched, link below. blueberries can correct me, but it looks like naslund actually said it on august 26 2020, so a full year before the oel trade.

that post was the day after the canucks beat the knights 5-2 in game 2 of the bubble playoff run and literally to the day the highest point in benning's tenure with the canucks having just won two playoff series, pettersson, miller, hughes and demko all looking solid, and tying it up against the knights. that was the apex and a brief moment when benning redeeming himself certainly seemed possible. it was before the tanev/toffoli/stecher offseason debacle and the bubble season from hell and the oel trade.

if i am correct that this is when he said it, it kind of seems to me a bit petty and disingenuous for blueberries to hold naslund to that statement at all given the date and context let alone to misrepresent the timing and associate it with the oel trade. just seems like enthusiasm in the moment during a playoff run.

naslund also ripped benning in that post for early moves as a gm calling them "terrible and humilating". that seems like important additional context.

i also found multiple examples in the search of blueberries repeatedly bringing this up. unless naslund said it twice, it seems blueberries has been stripping it of context, deliberately misrepresenting when naslund said it, and relentlessly shitposting naslund about it for years. if that is correct then to me the fact we're discussing it right now says a lot more about blueberries than it does about naslund. naslund may be right or wrong about hockey but that post is not the smoking gun evidence either way and the way blueberries is misusing it reminds me of an elementary school bully teasing someone in the playground. kind of gross.

Fascinating. I’d find it hard to believe that anyone that called the OEL trade good still posts here, let alone prominently. You delete your account and start over at that point.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Fascinating. I’d find it hard to believe that anyone that called the OEL trade good still posts here, let alone prominently. You delete your account and start over at that point.

i think if you make a mistake like that you should stick around and take your lumps. also, i think a lot of people tried to be optimistic about that trade because they wanted the team to succeed and the trade was basically an existential dice roll for the team. i can remember being concerned that the outcome would reflect on the sedins since they seemed to be involved in it happening. the other concern was it seemed so catastrophic if it went bad. the actual cap outcome of oel being cooked has been way less bad than i thought at the time it would be.

Reactions: Nomobo

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Who cares about being wrong?

Are any of you married? What a nightmare.

We're all right and wrong - some more than others.

Move on from Benning stuff. He was here for so long a lot of people had to live the reality of how bad he was and convince themselves he was doing good. Looking back I know I had some questionable >60iq opinions. Stop being mean to people for holding terrible opinions.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
^ To add, it got so messed up that I wasn’t sure how much an impact coaching staffs have. I had some bad takes, everyone has bad takes.

I find as I grow older, what ticks me off is the unwarranted confidence that hid behind the takes that bordered on arrogance. Like, I was envious of that because I’ve constantly second guessed myself in life.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Move on from Benning stuff. He was here for so long a lot of people had to live the reality of how bad he was and convince themselves he was doing good. Looking back I know I had some questionable >60iq opinions. Stop being mean to people for holding terrible opinions.

Well said. I never understood the obsession with being right on a hockey message board. It's like if you call out a prior inconsistent statement he/she/they made they get so angry and tell you to look at his/her/their track record. They can't understand why the statement(s) they made is troubling or inconsistent.

Now if you take away their ability to call you a Benning apologist? :help:

I don't know why it's such a hard thing to grasp. I assume we're all Canucks fans here. When the team is bad for years some lose faith in management and is critical 80+% of the time. I can understand that. But there are also fans here who are homers and want to believe things will work out 80+% of the time but somehow the latter group is labelled Benning apologists or Benning Bros. Speaking of which, mods before said the use of that kind of terms is banned here but somehow they forgot and let people use it again. Clearly it adds nothing to the discussion and is meant to troll.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Well said. I never understood the obsession with being right on a hockey message board. It's like if you call out a prior inconsistent statement he/she/they made they get so angry and tell you to look at his/her/their track record. They can't understand why the statement(s) they made is troubling or inconsistent.

Now if you take away their ability to call you a Benning apologist? :help:

I don't know why it's such a hard thing to grasp. I assume we're all Canucks fans here. When the team is bad for years some lose faith in management and is critical 80+% of the time. I can understand that. But there are also fans here who are homers and want to believe things will work out 80+% of the time but somehow the latter group is labelled Benning apologists or Benning Bros. Speaking of which, mods before said the use of that kind of terms is banned here but somehow they forgot and let people use it again. Clearly it adds nothing to the discussion and is meant to troll.
Any argument against your character rather than your actual post is considered a flame. I know when I was mod, we just banned that word entirely because of how toxic it got. That being said, I don't think it should be banned. Most of the "benning bros" have been banned and have passed.

I think the team being succesfull now erases many wounds.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That being said, I don't think it should be banned.

I think it should be banned if the poster making the statement intended to categorize another poster in a derogatory way or in a way that the other poster disagrees. There are obvious exceptions. If someone identifies as part of the "Proud Boys" then the categorization isn't offensive. If not, I think you would agree that that isn't acceptable?

I digress...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This argument about Pettersson is pretty hilarious.

Literally nobody is saying he's playing his best.

Chicken littles are saying he's terrible and this can't happen because he's expensive now and blah blah blah.
Thats a lot of copium bro.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It’s a hockey message board, post whatever you want, I’m never going to look at anyone’s post history (one part I don’t care enough, another part this website is cheeks).

Having the balls to post text walls after calling one of the worst trades in the cap era good would be impressive though. But it doesn’t seem to have happened here.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It’s a hockey message board, post whatever you want, I’m never going to look at anyone’s post history (one part I don’t care enough, another part this website is cheeks).

Having the balls to post text walls after calling one of the worst trades in the cap era good would be impressive though. But it doesn’t seem to have happened here.
Fair. I find it amusing how some of the most arrogant or condescending posters were also Jim Benning supporters. I’m happy to move on though.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The ancient Egyptians would scratch out the walls of hieroglyphics to literally erase certain people from history.

Hopefully the lost decade will disappear from Canucks history. Centuries from now descendants of Canucks fans will wonder why Vancouver didn't have a franchise from 2014-2021, and when it is mentioned all they will know is a dark terrifying hush as the forgotten memory of a forgotten memory is passed down.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

f*** that. I'm always right.

Just never infront of my wife.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm still married as we agreed that my wife will make all the little decisions and i will make the big one's.

She's wrong a lot and often i wan't to criticize her but in fairness everyday she makes dozens of decisions while i still haven't been wrong once.

Come to think of it........I haven't made a big decision in 20yrs

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Genuinely appreciate your labor on this one man.

Yes, Blueberries chases me around with a cherrypicked and out of context quote that I have decided to stop refuting with any fervor since it's clear that it's disingenuous and he doesn't respond to the contextualizing.

Either way, I'm not really wishing to make this about him and I. But I do really appreciate that you took it upon yourself to look into it yourself and draw your own conclusions and shared the context. The world needs more of that level of insight and critical thought.

Reactions: andora and sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad