Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Apparently Rick Dhaliwal said Dakota Joshua's agent has been ghosting him for the last 24 hours. :laugh:

Could be nothing - could be something. I remember one of the talking heads out there speculating that the Canucks would try to get Joshua locked up before the end of the regular season.
Wait ... Dhaliwall is so connected that not hearing back within 24 hours is being ghosted?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Apparently Rick Dhaliwal said Dakota Joshua's agent has been ghosting him for the last 24 hours. :laugh:

Could be nothing - could be something. I remember one of the talking heads out there speculating that the Canucks would try to get Joshua locked up before the end of the regular season.

What incentive does his camp have to sign now? The longer they wait, the larger his deal.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
One of the wins for this season for me will be getting Dakota locked up longer term (4 years or more).

I guess getting him signed in general is important, but I really hope they have the foresight to go a bit longer. Even when he's 34, he could surely still bring that physical presence and PK ability that he has now.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What incentive does his camp have to sign now? The longer they wait, the larger his deal.

Might not have to look far for an example - Elias Lindholm. I somehow doubt he pulls in anywhere near what Calgary was reported to have offered him in the fall.

Joshua's value is at an all time high right now. Could it go higher? Possibly - but if presented a long term deal worth millions, that's a risk he'd have to weigh out.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Might not have to look far for an example - Elias Lindholm. I somehow doubt he pulls in anywhere near what Calgary was reported to have offered him in the fall.

Joshua's value is at an all time high right now. Could it go higher? Possibly - but if presented a long term deal worth millions, that's a risk he'd have to weigh out.

I think it all depends on the contract structure. I'd imagine he would be way more incentivized to sign for term now than for high dollars but one or two years.

Term is what is important if you're historically a bottom six guy. Look no further than Brandon Tanev.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Probably got tired of the daily: "any update on Dakota's contract?" texts lol

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I can see the incentive to sign now. He's shooting 20%, if he goes cold or gets split from Garland and slumps it'll drop his value a lot, and he hasn't earned much in his career. If a fat contract with term gets floated it'd be tempting.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Rumor was it that he didn't want a long term deal worth 8m per year with Calgary right? Give how he's been playing with us, I think it'd be lunacy to entertain the thought that he's still worth anything close to that.

He himself should have some self awareness too - you're playing on a better team with better future, better teammates, and you've not been fulfilling your expectations. If you still want that kind of money, it certainly ain't gonna be here.

Our management does not f*** around, and it's been shown that if they think a decision is to be made, it will be done no matter what.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Even just stability is an incentive. He's with a team that believed in him and gave him his first real opportunity to be a full-time NHLer. He has a coach who likes and trusts him. The organization is on an upward swing. He was a college free agent that didn't make an opening night roster until he was 26 years old. This is the same reason why Gustav Forsling signed his contract when he did with the Panthers. He surely would have made more if he entered free agency but his situation weighed more than pure dollars.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

If I'm Joshua, I'd wait until UFA. You just know that based on past July 1st, GMs are going to go nuts that day and overpay big time. A guy with Joshua's profile (big power forward that can PK and fight and chip in 15 goals 30 points) are prime candidate to get ridiculously overpaid. Even if he has a meh playoff, his regular season stats this year is going to guarantee a bidding war for him.

Even if the Nucks are presenting a reasonable offer right now, I'd wait. All it takes are 2 teams interested and bid against each other, and he can easily earn himself an extra few millions (over the term of the contract, not AAV).

Even just stability is an incentive. He's with a team that believed in him and gave him his first real opportunity to be a full-time NHLer. He has a coach who likes and trusts him. The organization is on an upward swing. He was a college free agent that didn't make an opening night roster until he was 26 years old. This is the same reason why Gustav Forsling signed his contract when he did with the Panthers. He surely would have made more if he entered free agency but his situation weighed more than pure dollars.
Problem is Joshua has made very little money up to this point in his career (around $1.5m). Even Forsling has earned over $10m already. This is probably the last big contract for Joshua, he needs to maximize it to put himself and his family in a good situation.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Problem is Joshua has made very little money up to this point in his career (around $1.5m). Even Forsling has earned over $10m already. This is probably the last big contract for Joshua, he needs to maximize it to put himself and his family in a good situation.

People saw this all the time and there’s some truth but it’s entirely up to the individual. Fans always think players will go for the most money then be surprised when a player re-signs for slightly less.

I suspect he’ll re-sign here on a 3 year 3m per deal and re-enter free agency as a 31 year old more track record. Ideally he has a strong playoff history as well and with the rising cap will make even more on that contract than this one.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think it all depends on the contract structure. I'd imagine he would be way more incentivized to sign for term now than for high dollars but one or two years.

Term is what is important if you're historically a bottom six guy. Look no further than Brandon Tanev.

Yup, it will be term. It is all about that 3+year term for these guys.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
If I'm Joshua, I'd wait until UFA. You just know that based on past July 1st, GMs are going to go nuts that day and overpay big time. A guy with Joshua's profile (big power forward that can PK and fight and chip in 15 goals 30 points) are prime candidate to get ridiculously overpaid. Even if he has a meh playoff, his regular season stats this year is going to guarantee a bidding war for him.

Even if the Nucks are presenting a reasonable offer right now, I'd wait. All it takes are 2 teams interested and bid against each other, and he can easily earn himself an extra few millions (over the term of the contract, not AAV).

$1.5 million USD in 10 years does sound like a lot to the average person.

But let's do some math:

Take away 40% for agent fees and taxes.

That leaves 900k in take home.

Divided over 10 years it's 90k USD take home per year, to be a professional athlete and sacrifice time with your family, your body etc.

I know sales guys in tech that make $150-200k+ in take home without taking their pajamas off.

He's earned the bag.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Drance said today Joshua could probably target around $4M AAV on 3-4 years with some team if he hits UFA.

I think you have to be pretty happy with anything around $3.5M AAV or a bit less at this point.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Norris Trophy:
-Hughes would be number one on Friedman's Norris ballot
-tries to avoid recency bias
-Friedman doesn't have a Norris vote this year and says it's his doing as much as anyone else's

Demko:
-can come off LTIR on Saturday
-has always been the plan was to get him 2 or 3 games before the playoffs

Lindholm:
-little more difficult to pin down
-not surprised Lindholm is missing time
-heard a rumour that he won't play the rest of the regular season but had multiple people tell him that Friedman shouldn't go with that

Extensions:
-Blueger recognizes the fit
-Joshua recongizes the fit and the coach in particular; although it's probably his biggest chance to hit it big
-thinks there's a deal to be made here with Hronek; doesn't think it will be as high as some people would like it to be (repeats this twice)
-now is about eliminating the noise and focusing on the playoffs

Reactions: vanuck and MS

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
joshua was literally just hurt for nearly two months. for a guy who hasn't made enough in career earnings to even buy an average home near his work place, he has all the incentive in the world to lock in now and secure his future before another injury could take that away.

Reactions: geebaan

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
$1.5 million USD in 10 years does sound like a lot to the average person.

But let's do some math:

Take away 40% for agent fees and taxes.

That leaves 900k in take home.

Divided over 10 years it's 90k USD take home per year, to be a professional athlete and sacrifice time with your family, your body etc.

I know sales guys in tech that make $150-200k+ in take home without taking their pajamas off.

He's earned the bag.
Don't forget that, unlike most other industries, hockey player's career usually ends in the mid to late 30s. So realistically Joshua only have 5-7 more years to set himself up for life, before his earning potential drops to nil (unless he gets into management or coaching).

Obviously only Joshua knows what is best for himself, and as a Nucks fan I would obviously want to retain him on as low a salary as possible. But if I'm in his position, I'll try to get the biggest contract I can get this summer.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Epic error when it comes to the post-season outlook. Could have probably had Tanev, who has had a massive impact in Dallas.

Reports are the Canucks felt they made a stronger offer for Tanev than the Stars but the Flames, for reason not stated, went with the Stars instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad