Canucks Managerial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The theory I have is, maybe Benning actually considers Prust a good piece, and probably passed on a better piece from another team in favor of Prust.

I wish we could bug bennings phone. Imagine.....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The theory I have is, maybe Benning actually considers Prust a good piece, and probably passed on a better piece from another team in favor of Prust.

Oh, clearly. Like all of his scouting, it seems stuck in 4-5 years ago.

I'd love to know what we could have got for Kassian. Brett Connolly was a worse-developing player with a less rare/desirable skillset and he fetched 2 #2 picks for TB.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I'd agree with this. Benning likes Prust, just like he likes Dorsett and Sbisa. I'm sure he wanted him for a while.

Terrible scouting, what else can you call it?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I'd love to know what we could have got for Kassian. Brett Connolly was a worse-developing player with a less rare/desirable skillset and he fetched 2 #2 picks for TB.

There is as much evidence to speculate that Benning couldn't get anything at all valuable for Kassian and resigned to the deal that he came up with. It is more logical actually. Kassian just is not valuable, at all.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

His negotiation skills are just tragic, he doesn't look at precedence and all and somehow thinks it's wise to subtly slap your players in the media (Calling Lack the 3rd best goalie on the market when he was clearly the best) at least Tampa had reasoning to trade Connolly, trading Kassian is just mind bogglingly stupid from our perspective, even when you ignore the terrible return.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
There is as much evidence to speculate that Benning couldn't get anything at all valuable for Kassian and resigned to the deal that he came up with. It is more logical actually. Kassian just is not valuable, at all.

Then don't ****ing trade, him simple as that smh.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Then don't ****ing trade, him simple as that smh.

I agree with you. Just don't tell me we passed up a sweet deal for Kassian because it HAD to be there is all I am saying. That trade was one of my least favorites from Benning as GM.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I agree with you. Just don't tell me we passed up a sweet deal for Kassian because it HAD to be there is all I am saying. That trade was one of my least favorites from Benning as GM.

I'm allowed to have an opinion, my opinion suggests that Jim Benning overvalued Prust, we've seen him do the same with other players of his ilk too.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Not really. When you see the results of his previous deals, the Garrison trade, 2nd for Vey, Sbisa in the Kesler trade, the Lack trade, the Miller contract, the contracts for Sbisa and Dorsett...the preponderance of evidence would suggest that the most likely scenario is that Benning is just a bad negotiator, and that the Kassian deal is simply consistent with his pattern of behaviour.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I'm allowed to have an opinion, my opinion suggests that Jim Benning overvalued Prust, we've seen him do the same with other players of his ilk too.

You are allowed to have your opinion, and it is the same as mine.

Where our opinions differ is that Kassian has any value at all at this point. I believe he was heavily shopped and we had to give the Habs a 5th rounder just to sell him off for Prust. It is not a trade that I would have made, but for whatever reason we wanted to get rid of him for something any we did.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Not really. When you see the results of his previous deals, the Garrison trade, 2nd for Vey, Sbisa in the Kesler trade, the Lack trade, the Miller contract, the contracts for Sbisa and Dorsett...the preponderance of evidence would suggest that the most likely scenario is that Benning is just a bad negotiator, and that the Kassian deal is simply consistent with his pattern of behaviour.

He is a bad negotiator, but Kassian is not a good hockey player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

.... except every other deal he's made has shown this exact same inability to get any value for an asset.

If this was a GM who generally made shrewd, good-value deals and then came out and said he couldn't get anything for Kassian ... I'd tend to believe it.

When you're consistently a garbage negotiator who gets garbage returns ... I'm more inclined to think this just followed the existing pattern.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Where our opinions differ is that Kassian has any value at all at this point. I believe he was heavily shopped and we had to give the Habs a 5th rounder just to sell him off for Prust. It is not a trade that I would have made, but for whatever reason we wanted to get rid of him for something any we did.

And at the end of the day it's just a terrible move, by a terrible gm.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Worth noting is that so far this preseason, at least last I checked over at the Montreal board, Kassian has been playing with scrubs and looks destined for a 4th line or at best 3rd line role again. I depresses me, but there seems to be no one willing to give him a chance in a scoring role. Maybe one day if Marc Crawford returns to the league and happens to have him on his team.

Edit: What I'm saying is that evidently even Montreal didn't see much value in him.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

He is a bad negotiator, but Kassian is not a good hockey player.

.... except every other deal he's made has shown this exact same inability to get any value for an asset.

If this was a GM who generally made shrewd, good-value deals and then came out and said he couldn't get anything for Kassian ... I'd tend to believe it.

When you're consistently a garbage negotiator who gets garbage returns ... I'm more inclined to think this just followed the existing pattern.

And at the end of the day it's just a terrible move, by a terrible gm.

I think when ~99.9 % of the general hockey agrees you lost the trade, its very fair to speculate you could have gotten a better return.

Prust was acquired for face-punching and "intangibles". Im sure there were better offers, but we've seen that if Benning wants a player, he does whatever it takes to acquire that player.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Although we'll never know, its always fun to think what we could've gotten for Kesler and Kassian if JB didn't target Sbisa and Prust. Same could be said with the Sutter deal I guess.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Although we'll never know, its always fun to think what we could've gotten for Kesler and Kassian if JB didn't target Sbisa and Prust. Same could be said with the Sutter deal I guess.

By far the smartest thing to do with Kassian was to keep him IMO.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not defending the obviously terrible trade, but any chance they shipped him out for nothing because the locker room wanted him gone?

e/ Although that doesn't explain why a better deal was looked/waited for. It's not like it was during the season and he needed to be removed ASAP.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
His wife/girlfriend is a media personality in Quebec and can't leave. Prust didn't want to leave the East Coast at all and is not happy about the trade, although he's putting a good face on for the media. But he has no interest in being in Vancouver long-term.

this is actually a relief, as i'm still paranoid about benning offering prust the same kind of deal he gifted dorsett and sbisa last season before the playoffs started

will never forget how dorsett's agent categorized those negotiations:

Dorset agent Jason Davidson : "#Canucks appreciate Derek's grit and leadership, was not hard negotiation."

would be a stretch to call the dorsett contract a 'negotiation' at all, and you could easily apply similar criticism to the sbisa, miller and sutter signings

still have the looming potential milan lucic contract albatross this upcoming ufa season to witness as well

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Not defending the obviously terrible trade, but any chance they shipped him out for nothing because the locker room wanted him gone?

e/ Although that doesn't explain why a better deal was looked/waited for. It's not like it was during the season and he needed to be removed ASAP.

its totally possible, but there just isnt enough information to make that conclusion. i dont think its likely, or i feel we would have heard more about it. benning and honestly his entire organization has been a very, very open book

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Argh.

PissedComputer.gif

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Worth noting is that so far this preseason, at least last I checked over at the Montreal board, Kassian has been playing with scrubs and looks destined for a 4th line or at best 3rd line role again. I depresses me, but there seems to be no one willing to give him a chance in a scoring role. Maybe one day if Marc Crawford returns to the league and happens to have him on his team.

Edit: What I'm saying is that evidently even Montreal didn't see much value in him.
i can see why youre depressed

trading a young bottom 6 option and a draft pick for a player that can barely skate is very sad indeed

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Very much so. I wouldn't have a problem with that, or if any of the rumors about him are true. Targeting Prust is what I take issue with, especially as we gave up a 5th with him. Put Kassian on waivers if he's a problem and give his put to Kenins. There was absolutely no reason to acquire Prust. Hell, Dorsett is actually a good guy to ease Kenins into the fold since they play a similar style.

Just a terrible like of foresight; a common complaint with Benning.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I know this may have been in response to the Connolly thing but saying Benning intentionally wanted to acquire Prust doesn't have to exclude the concept that Kassian didn't have value around the league.

In my opinion it's most likely that Benning couldn't get any takers for Kassian last year in January so we just hung onto him, but in the summer he went chasing after Prust (probably tried to get him mid season too) and when Montreal reluctantly agreed he happily gave up Kassian and an extra pick.

Look at everything he's said and done and you just know he'd love the idea of having two quality goons on the fourth line. Probably more doubling down after Dorsett alone wasn't effective against Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad