Canucks Management & Ownership Discussion | Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Come on, be fair. I dislike the three stooges as much as anyone; but you can't say that - the Bieksa trade (yeah it didn't start off great but that was hardly Benning's fault - it was the **** move by the other GM) was more than solid.
Well dam,your right,,i forgot that 1,,lol.But really right now i am shaking in my boots knowing that he has a trade up his sleeve some where since all the FA,s seem to be gone now.Until Benning hits on out of the park,i stand by what im saying.There is no hope.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
"Darling of the media" because he's an idiot.

That paragraph is baffling to me. I can't believe someone respects him that much. None of that makes him intelligent. Most effective GMs have some type of degree in law or some type of formal education. I don't see that with Benning.

His horrible interviews aside, his personnel and roster moves have been questionable at best.

which is why i have been adamant that they hire a suitable assistant or a GM with theses accredidations.

i like Benning Brackett and Linden as hockey guys but as business CAOs not so much.

i would love to hear the departing stories behind Babych and Gillman. Babych only because him and Trevor i thought were old teammates and friends.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
which is why i have been adamant that they hire a suitable assistant or a GM with theses accredidations.

i like Benning Brackett and Linden as hockey guys but as business CAOs not so much.

i would love to hear the departing stories behind Babych and Gillman. Babych only because him and Trevor i thought were old teammates and friends.

Jury is still out on Brackett.

The team would be far better off without Benning and Linden in the organization, that much is known.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
They dumped him for nothing because he couldn't skate. You would expect that would be one of the easiest things that a scout could determine. The fact they didn't is very concerning. And for some reason you trust them?
i guess I'm more patient than you are. i was convinced after the loss to Boston that we were only going to go downhill. Our core peaked at an unusually older age. Gillis couldn't get lucky at the draft table and i really liked what the Bruins staff did assembling the cup winner and multiple time contender.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
There is no hope.

This is exactly it. We've been rebuilding for 4 seasons now (going back to the Horvat draft) and we still don't really have any franchise players/perennial all-stars.

In the past 4 years, we could have gotten the same results in the standings
- 8th best
- 6th worst
- 8th best
- 3rd worst

If we finished in those spots, but managed to collect futures/assets along the way, instead of hemorrhage them, there would be a lot more confidence... but instead we trade away picks/prospects like we're contenders on deadline day.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
...but in like three months he forgot how to skate?

Hodgson got 4+ million from Buffalo. Horvat needed work on his skating. we see it all the time. Some guys have good genetics to improve and put in the work and others just don't and aren't willing.

i can give you a list a mile long of both.....surely you understand the point.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Well dam,your right,,i forgot that 1,,lol.But really right now i am shaking in my boots knowing that he has a trade up his sleeve some where since all the FA,s seem to be gone now.Until Benning hits on out of the park,i stand by what im saying.There is no hope.

He sounded utterly defeated regarding succeeding in a trade earlier in the summer after Free Agency. He probably realized we have crap no one wants or players he doesn't want to give up.

I do expect some kind of trade near the end of the summer or in the early part of the season though. I honestly expected another out of the bloom Sitter esque trade again..:help:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
i guess I'm more patient than you are. i was convinced after the loss to Boston that we were only going to go downhill. Our core peaked at an unusually older age. Gillis couldn't get lucky at the draft table and i really liked what the Bruins staff did assembling the cup winner and multiple time contender.

Oh I understood this team was going downhill too. Especially with how it was mismanaged after June 15, 2011. However, current management has absolutely destroyed anything we had left.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Oh I understood this team was going downhill too. Especially with how it was mismanaged after June 15, 2011. However, current management has absolutely destroyed anything we had left.

I think time and the previous regime destroyed anything we had left.

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Malhotra, The Sedins, Hamhuis, Burrows who am I missing? All either squandered by Gillis or else old balls now. The only piece left worth anything is Edler and he is constantly **** upon by so called fans... par for the course.

Also notice how the guys that are old now but still here have contracts that severely limit Bennings ability to do anything with them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Malhotra, The Sedins, Hamhuis, who am I missing? All either squandered by Gillis or else old balls now. The only piece left worth anything is Edler and he is constantly **** upon by so called fans... par for the course.

When the Benning regime came in they had Kesler who was a big trade chip, a ton of cap space, and a bunch of quality players who he could either use to insulate some youth or trade off for those youth pieces.

Benning bungled the Kesler trade, and has brought in garbage acquisition after garbage acquisition. Pissing away value in every trade he makes, while letting other valuable players (like Hamhuis) get older and loses him to free agency rather than trading him at the deadline. Furthermore, he's pissed away cap space on awful contracts.

Would be nice to add a Lawson Crouse to this team, but no, let's just overpay Sbisa and Dorsett so we don't have the cap space to add a Dave Bolland in order to get Crouse.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
When the Benning regime came in they had Kesler who was a big trade chip, a ton of cap space, and a bunch of quality players who he could either use to insulate some youth or trade off for those youth pieces.

Benning bungled the Kesler trade, and has brought in garbage acquisition after garbage acquisition. Pissing away value in every trade he makes, while letting other valuable players (like Hamhuis) get older and loses him to free agency rather than trading him at the deadline. Furthermore, he's pissed away cap space on awful contracts.

Would be nice to add a Lawson Crouse to this team, but no, let's just overpay Sbisa and Dorsett so we don't have the cap space to add a Dave Bolland in order to get Crouse.

Kesler forced Bennings hand and we were lucky to realise the value we did. Gillis gave Kesler the contract which enabled him to **** over the canucks.

Benning does have a responsibility to ice an NHL team you know.

So taking a cap dump and trading away multiple picks is okey dokey if it's anyone but Benning. Gotcha:handclap:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Hodgson got 4+ million from Buffalo. Horvat needed work on his skating. we see it all the time. Some guys have good genetics to improve and put in the work and others just don't and aren't willing.

i can give you a list a mile long of both.....surely you understand the point.

Wait, so you're talking about your patience in one post, but saying that a guy who was super promising was obviously lacking the genetics or work ethic to be a player within a handful of months? And there's no way that they should, or even could have foreseen this?

If you think it was some kind of unpredictable surprise that stubby-legs-choppy-stride Hodgson wasn't able to drastically improve his skating, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Kesler forced Bennings hand and we were lucky to realise the value we did. Gillis gave Kesler the contract which enabled him to **** over the canucks.

So taking a cap dump and trading away multiple picks is okey dokey if it's anyone but Benning. Gotcha:handclap:

Usually when you take on a cap dump one a one-year-remaining deal, you don't turn around and sign them to a significantly more expensive, escalating salary multi-year deal. The idea that Benning took on Sbisa as a cap dump is laughable.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Usually when you take on a cap dump one a one-year deal, you don't turn around and sign them to a significantly more expensive, escalating salary multi-year deal. The idea that Benning took on Sbisa as a cap dump is laughable.

No one was talking about Sbisa, thanks for coming out, though.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Remind me when Gillis' team finished 3rd last and traded picks for NOW pieces to get there

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just a friendly reminder that the Canucks had Chakya under an exclusive contract during the Gillis regime that Benning did not renew and allowed Chakya to prove he's already a better GM than Benning despite not having a job for more than a couple of months.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Luongo, Schneider, Kesler, Malhotra, The Sedins, Hamhuis, Burrows who am I missing? All either squandered by Gillis or else old balls now. The only piece left worth anything is Edler and he is constantly **** upon by so called fans... par for the course.

Also notice how the guys that are old now but still here have contracts that severely limit Bennings ability to do anything with them.

So let me get this straight...

Luongo --> Our current 1b goalie
Scheider --> Our second best center...
Kesler --> Anything from him, is on this management.
Malhotra--> One player
Sedins --> Still here, still the top line
Hamhuis -->Umm it was Benning that couldn't trade him
Burrows --> Still here...

So I have no clue how you can say any but Malhotra was squandered, and even he was a shadow of his former self when we shut him down.

No contracts hurt us more than Sbisa, who cost us Hamhuis.

You need a fact checker.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Just curious how the board feels about Chris Krieder.

and how would you react if the Canucks Traded there 2017 1st round pick to get him:)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

St. Louis forced Yzerman's hand, and yet they still got great value for the 40 year old.

Yes, Benning has a responsibility to ice an NHL team. He also has a responsibility to be good at his job, and doing good for the present and the future. He's failed at this.

Taking a cap dump and trading away a 2nd and 3rd round pick is okay if you're acquiring someone who was drafted 11th overall just a year ago, who is tracking very well in junior. If Benning were to do something like this then I'm sure people wouldn't complain. Instead, this isn't possible because Benning adds awful contracts and gives away draft picks anyway without the benefit of something good coming our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark