Canucks Management & Ownership Discussion | Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
He relieved Anaheim of cap troubles two years ago, he relieved Pittsburgh of cap troubles last year and he relieved Florida of cap troubles this year as Gudbranson's contract is expiring.

It's almost as if Benning has no bloody idea how contract status and cap space affects building a roster.

"Hey, let's find a team that's in cap trouble and help them out"

"Umm... Shouldn't we try taking advantage Jim? "

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He relieved Anaheim of cap troubles two years ago, he relieved Pittsburgh of cap troubles last year and he relieved Florida of cap troubles this year as Gudbranson's contract is expiring.

It's almost as if Benning has no bloody idea how contract status and cap space affect building a roster.

The Ducks haven't been in cap trouble since the Neidermayer Pronger era. The Panthers have never been in cap trouble.

Regardless, your whole point means little. Did Gillis relieve San Jose of their cap troubles by acquiring Ehrhoff? Did Gillis relieve Florida of their cap troubles in the Booth trade? Yes he did but so what? Gillis actually PURPOSELY left room under the cap to take advantage of teams in cap trouble or have waiver problems to deal with.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The Ducks haven't been in cap trouble since the Neidermayer Pronger era. The Panthers have never been in cap trouble.

Regardless, your whole point means little. Did Gillis relieve San Jose of their cap troubles by acquiring Ehrhoff? Did Gillis relieve Florida of their cap troubles in the Booth trade? Yes he did but so what?

Does the point of my post really escape you? Have you noticed we're the ones who constantly take on expiring contracts? Instead of the other team making the hard decisions with their rosters, they're just unloading them on Benning, and Benning's paying for the privilege.

Ehrhoff from SJ is the exact opposite of what Benning's doing.

And I noticed you didn't mention Pittsburgh.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Does the point of my post really escape you? Have you noticed we're the ones who constantly take on expiring contracts? Instead of the other team making the hard decisions with their rosters, they're just unloading them on Benning, and Benning's paying for the privilege.

He's also forgetting the Ducks have a self imposed internal cap number.

Using ehrhoff as a negative is ridiculous.

Benning would have given Horvat and a 2nd if that deal happened today

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What the...?!!!!

Ahahahahaha, did you "forget" to include the net loss of draft picks he's traded out compared to what he's brought in?

And where did losing McCann, Forsling and Corrado fit into this?

The team is younger, and needed to be, granted...but the problem with Benning is that he's continually shipped out more value than he's brought in, so no matter what kind of handicaps he inherited, he took a tough situation and made it much worse through sheer stupidity.
You gotta give to get. Most of his lost picks are now a part of players helping this team.
McCann was a return on the Kesler deal relayed into Gudbranson.
Forsling I forgot to edit in for Tryamkin a draft pick my bad....was suppose to be Forsling.
Corrado is a fringe player beat out in his 5th camp by Weber Bartkowski Sbisa Biega and Hutton?

He's building useful organizational depth at prime ages and you call that sheer stupidity because he has to provide enough incentive for teams to trade him their assets?? Why should they?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

It really does make you wonder sometimes...

s0J8TJ5.png

Man oh man... Jimbo sure is a solid dude. :thumbu:

I <3 being a Canucks fan.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Gillis actually PURPOSELY left room under the cap to take advantage of teams in cap trouble or have waiver problems to deal with.

You must have edited, missed this.

Uh...yeah. He did! No ****! Wish we had a gm who could think that far ahead, huh? Instead we got a guy who compulsively collects contracts that ensure we never have that problem. Go Benning!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You gotta give to get. Most of his lost picks are now a part of players helping this team.
No. Most of his lost picks are now players helping other teams.
Better hope he's actually good, huh? Would be a departure from what people who watched him play for years have told us...and what every stat tells us...but oh well.
Forsling I forgot to edit in for Tryamkin a draft pick my bad....was suppose to be Forsling.
He's gone for nothing. The return got shipped out for Sutter. Forsling to Clendening to nothing.
Corrado is a fringe player beat out in his 5th camp by Weber Bartkowski Sbisa Biega and Hutton?
We got over Corrado, it's just the principle that continues to kill us. Here's a player...we don't like him. Get out. Now. And that's it. No even half-assed attempt to get anything for him. Here's a guy...go.
He's building useful organizational depth at prime ages and you call that sheer stupidity because he has to provide enough incentive for teams to trade him their assets?? Why should they?
It's sheer stupidity to keep on throwing away useful organizational depth for nothing. Or just arbitrarily decide players aren't useful depth because...you just decided that.

Uggggggggggggh why do I bother.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Why is it that Benning is the only GM who has to "provide enough incentive" to trade their assets? He is consistently the GM who overpays for the assets he acquires.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Why is it that Benning is the only GM who has to "provide enough incentive" to trade their assets? He is consistently the GM who overpays for the assets he acquires.

Because he's actively turning over the roster in a short time frame

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Because he's actively turning over the roster in a short time frame

But "turning over" a roster is meaningless unless it is "good". Letting Shawn Matthais walk for free then paying assets for Markus Granlund is "turning over the roster". It's also stupid and wasteful. The objective should be to make good moves, not moves.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Its not mutually exclusive to Benning. see A.Larsson Hamilton etc.
i don't like a lot of his moves either but GMs aren't going to just give you players on RFA contracts that Jimbo thinks he can win with.
The turnover has been swift whether its good or bad is going to be in the pudding pretty quickly.
i guess I'm on the side of lets give it a chance. it really is like bringing a knife to a gun fight but at least it something to spur on some discussion/arguing in the dog days of summer.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I respond to posts of substance and didn't feel like necro-ing old articles that have been posted here over and over again. Why would I bother when people don't bother to acknowledge them anyway?

Funny how the boat is still out on Horvat, Cassels, Subban, and Shinkaruk, and funny how you also ignore the Canucks drafting Hutton in 2012, yet you are quick to praise all of Benning's picks.

I never said the boat was out on BoHo, and I haven't even come close to praising "ALL" of Bennings picks. There's a difference in saying our drafting has improved under JB and praising every pick he's made, try not putting words in my mouth. Yes Hutton was a great pick...that doesn't make Gillis & co's drafting record good, it was statistically the worst in the whole NHL. I don't buy your narrative that Benning had nothing to do with the 14 draft.

Don't let fats get in the way of your hatred for JB.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I never said the boat was out on BoHo, and I haven't even come close to praising "ALL" of Bennings picks. There's a difference in saying our drafting has improved under JB and praising every pick he's made, try not putting words in my mouth. Yes Hutton was a great pick...that doesn't make Gillis & co's drafting record good, it was statistically the worst in the whole NHL. I don't buy your narrative that Benning had nothing to do with the 14 draft.

Why are you bringing Virtanen into this conversation?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
hqdefault.jpg

"I wouldn't say 'helping', Bob..."

We'll see?

people keep giving me the scoreboard 3rd last response.......we were pretty competitive until the wheels fell off and what mediocre team can withstand losing 4 top 9 forwards in Sutter Higgins for the season to injury. Top line winger Vrbata (63to27)and Burrows (33to22) to age related decline. Henrik to his back.

On Defence we were paper thin to begin with and Edler(30) Hamhuis(24) Sbisa(41) games lost due to injury to say nothing of Weber's fall off a cliff.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
We'll see?

people keep giving me the scoreboard 3rd last response.......we were pretty competitive until the wheels fell off and what mediocre team can withstand losing 4 top 9 forwards in Sutter Higgins for the season to injury. Top line winger Vrbata (63to27)and Burrows (33to22) to age related decline. Henrik to his back.

On Defence we were paper thin to begin with and Edler(30) Hamhuis(24) Sbisa(41) games lost due to injury to say nothing of Weber's fall off a cliff.

The problem is we really weren't that good when healthy. Our overtime points and the pacific division's start, specifically the Ducks, were holding our head above the water.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
We'll see?

That's what happens when your management A) relies on mediocre players to get you to the playoffs and B) doesn't build sufficient depth to allow your team to recover from the same kind of injuries that affect every single team in the league.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
That's what happens when your management A) relies on mediocre players to get you to the playoffs and B) doesn't build sufficient depth to allow your team to recover from the same kind of injuries that affect every single team in the league.
I think what you are talking about is small potatoes compared to the harsh reality that the team best players were drafted in the 1990s

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He's turning the roster over alright. Only problem is he's making the team significantly worse in the process, both short-term and long-term. That takes skill.

In the short term and long term this team Is going no where if it's best player are players drafted in the 90s

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
But "turning over" a roster is meaningless unless it is "good". Letting Shawn Matthais walk for free then paying assets for Markus Granlund is "turning over the roster". It's also stupid and wasteful. The objective should be to make good moves, not moves.
Is Granlund capped as the player you think he is? What if he's as good as Markus Kruger is for the Hawks in a couple seasons?

its crazy that Corrado Forsling Shinkaruk Lack Kassian get this value status around here but Granlund Pedan Etem Baertschi are bad moves until they prove they aren't in the case of Sven.

Our scouting staff is one I'm confident in and the lists of players that the organization has walked away from is dismal. McCann is the only one i think we will regret so far amongst a lot of moving parts. What suggests that Forsling is any better than MA Gragnani or even a producer but dismal defensive player in Y.Weber Schultz or Clendening who tore apart the AHL a similar and tougher league for defenders who won't have the time and space of big rinks?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I'm not letting facts get int he way of anything. I have a hatred for Jim Benning because of the facts.

I'm not saying Gillis's draft record was good. Just that it significantly improved at the end of his tenure here. Meanwhile, we don't have enough information from Benning's drafts (2015 and 2016) to determine if he is this great drafter that some of you want to claim. And finally, like I mentioned, Benning said himself that he sat back and relied on his scouts for the 2014 draft. This has been reported and the article has been posted on here numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad