Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 3-2 || <Loud noises>

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
The building was extremely empty last night. They are filling the seats the camera faces. The lower bowl on the other side was maybe half full.

Yeah you know they're having trouble selling when Canucks twitter announces before the game "limited seats just released":laugh:

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North

When you mean the lines don't change, what is that in reference to? The starting lineups or the lineups that were played after the midway point of the game?

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Prust - Horvat - Cracknell
Baertschi - McCann - Virtanen

or

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - McCann - Cracknell

I figure it's the latter but at this point, I try not to read WD's mind since there's no telling what can happen next. Good to hear about Weber, though.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
When Higgs is back, I wanna see

1. Sedin Sedin Burrows
3a. Baertschi Horvat Hansen
3b. Higgins McCann Vrbata
3c. Virtanen Sutter Dorsett

Probably would never happen but each line looks to me that it would flow well and that fourth line your prototypical crash bang energy line. Jake could move up the lineup if he earns it and then we can dangle Vrby at the deadline.

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Baertschi has been extremely disappointing. I don't know how anyone could have predicted such a lackluster start after his last season in Utica. The guy just looks like he doesn't care out there.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
These 3 are the issue with McCann. Where he's a liability.

1.Tries to make a "cute" move at his own blueline, turns the puck over. Gets completely muscled out of a puck battle. Evacuates his responsibility to retrieve a stick. Scoring chance against.

2.As delicious a Pizza as i've ever seen. Be honest here, you'd throw Sbisa into the eternal hellfires of damnation for a turnover like that.

3.Completely gets his pocket picked by a very good player in Backstrom...but nonetheless, as a Center...puck management doesn't always need to be pretty. That's an instance McCann needs to be way harder on the puck and firmer with his stick...whatever it takes to make sure that puck at least clears the blueline.

And that's just the ones where he was involved in the breakout.

The ones where he isn't involved are often just as important. As they can be opportunities where he could be.

I like McCann, and i think he's got something to offer here. He's a 19 year old undersized kid in the best league in the world. He's gonna makes mistakes, and at times, he's gonna get bullied physically by grown ass men on the other team.

I hate the way his ice was managed tonight. But he's definitely having some very apparent issues in his own zone...when it comes to physical play especially right now.

That's exactly why gathering info on the net and making wild statements is no substitute for knowing the game.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Baertschi has been extremely disappointing. I don't know how anyone could have predicted such a lackluster start after his last season in Utica. The guy just looks like he doesn't care out there.

my god i know. such WEAK character. its pretty crazy to think he made it to this level on strictly skill because the drive just isn't there.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver

Again, I'd caution against people corresponding how someone looks in terms of 'care' on the ice and their actual productiveness.

Sbisa and Doresett look like they care a lot but they suck and are detrimental players.

Watch someone like Ovechkin, he's outside of the play 90% of the game while on the ice(standing still at the face off circle, disengaged from board battles), but he's still an effective player because he gets into the right spots.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
what would you guys think if i changed my username to sven baertschi?

Said it before and say it again....no way Calgary dumps this guy and to a division rival no less if they thought there was any way he'd pan out.....shaping up as another 'fail' by whoever it is who does the pro scouting for the Canucks.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Said it before and say it again....no way Calgary dumps this guy and to a division rival no less if they thought there was any way he'd pan out.....shaping up as another 'fail' by whoever it is who does the pro scouting for the Canucks.

The whole strategy of trading for guys in that age range who other good teams have given up has been an unmitigated disaster. 0 for 3 right now and 0 for 4 if you include Sbisa in that list.

Clendening is still the one that hurts the most though. Forsling has 9 points in 12 SHL games this season...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
These 3 are the issue with McCann. Where he's a liability.

1.Tries to make a "cute" move at his own blueline, turns the puck over. Gets completely muscled out of a puck battle. Evacuates his responsibility to retrieve a stick. Scoring chance against.

2.As delicious a Pizza as i've ever seen. Be honest here, you'd throw Sbisa into the eternal hellfires of damnation for a turnover like that.

3.Completely gets his pocket picked by a very good player in Backstrom...but nonetheless, as a Center...puck management doesn't always need to be pretty. That's an instance McCann needs to be way harder on the puck and firmer with his stick...whatever it takes to make sure that puck at least clears the blueline.

And that's just the ones where he was involved in the breakout.

The ones where he isn't involved are often just as important. As they can be opportunities where he could be.

I like McCann, and i think he's got something to offer here. He's a 19 year old undersized kid in the best league in the world. He's gonna makes mistakes, and at times, he's gonna get bullied physically by grown ass men on the other team.

I hate the way his ice was managed tonight. But he's definitely having some very apparent issues in his own zone...when it comes to physical play especially right now.

I watched McCann shift by shift lastnight and honestly, he made some mistakes sure. But not to the extent where he needs to be sent down. I thought he played fine.

He is a rookie and he is making rookie mistakes. I am completely fine with living with some growing pains if it means that he develops.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
The whole strategy of trading for guys in that age range who other good teams have given up has been an unmitigated disaster. 0 for 3 right now and 0 for 4 if you include Sbisa in that list.

Clendening is still the one that hurts the most though. Forsling has 9 points in 12 SHL games this season...

Ya this whole thing of giving up valuable assets for these garbage players is really starting to grind my gears.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Baertschi actually looks worse than Vey. At least Vey showed some promise early in the season and was a PP threat.

Baertschi is disengaged in contact and afraid of being hit. At the rate he's going, he won't be a regular in the NHL. I still recall a prime opportunity when he had 2 chances to clear the puck at the point, but because there was a defencemen coming down on him, he bailed and everyone was stuck in the zone for another 40 seconds.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This Baertschi is completely different than the one in Utica

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This Baertschi is completely different than the one in Utica

It's a completely different league and level of play. This Baertschi looks a lot like the one that couldn't hold a spot on the Flames for the last 2 years.

Still time for Baertschi, but at this point Vey, Clendening and Baertschi are looking like a disgustingly bad return for two 2nds and Forsling.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
It's a completely different league and level of play. This Baertschi looks a lot like the one that couldn't hold a spot on the Flames for the last 2 years.

Still time for Baertschi, but at this point Vey, Clendening and Baertschi are looking like a disgustingly bad return for two 2nds and Forsling.
There's certain things you can attribute to the league difference. His lack of energy, being completely afraid of physical contact - that's different.

He's got no desire.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I keep hearing the kids need to play. They did though, that doesn't mean they need to be thrown out in the third period in game 7 of their first season to appease over anxious fans who seek immediate gratification. Sports, like life take time.

I would rather a 60% chance McCann gets 60 games this year and scores 8-16 goals and improves every year as compared to a 5-10% he gets thrust into the line-up and scores 20-40.

Last edited:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I keep hearing the kids need to play. They did though, that doesn't mean they need to be thrown out in the third period in game 7 of their first season to appease over anxious fans who seek immediate gratification. Sports, like life take time.

We went through this exact thing with Horvat last year, fans just have little patience.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
The issue was not with Bae and Jake. It was the fact Dorsett lead all wingers in ice time in the third, his overusing of checkers in general, and taking mccann out of the game.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Vey was on the 1st PP unit leeching off the Sedins. big ****ing difference. and Baetschi has been better than Vey was defensively.

At least Vey capitalized on his chances and was contributing in some capacity. Baertschi was gifted a top 6 spot and has done nothing with it: no chemistry with Horvat or Vrbata-which forced Vrbata back with the Sedins (and boom, multi-point night again), not being a threat on the 2nd unit PP, etc. Neither Vey or Baertschi were brought in to be the defensive stud on their line, so that's irrelevant. At this point, I rather call Vey back up.

And the fact that we're comparing Baertschi to Vey is already a huge problem. Vey lost his spot to a 19 year old who isn't even playing every night. That's two 2nd rounders down the drain!

There's certain things you can attribute to the league difference. His lack of energy, being completely afraid of physical contact - that's different.

He's got no desire.

It's good that we're getting a 2nd back from Torts, because I think this is a writeoff. Baertschi isn't a rookie. What you see is what you get. He's been in the league and he's not showing signs of being a top 6 player. He's a soft player who needs linemates to get him the puck, because he surely won't get it himself.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Was last night game 7 in a tight playoff series?

Because here I thought we are playing against a tired back-to-back team in October.

I must be mistaken, when are the next rounds of the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad