Friedman: Canucks looking to make a (Not Small) Non UFA Deal

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Vatrano would make the most sense as would not cost to much and he has another year on contract. As for defense not sure as if not just expiring contract eliminates a few available defenseman. Garland+pick(s) for Vatrano would probably work?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Dhaliwal's sources are, and always have been, agents. He's in the loop regarding contracts and free agency, but unless a player has requested a trade or been asked to lift an NTC, he is no better than any other insider.

Vatrano would make the most sense as would not cost to much and he has another year on contract. As for defense not sure as if not just expiring contract eliminates a few available defenseman. Garland+pick(s) for Vatrano would probably work?
I think they view Garland as an important piece these days. He can drive play from the 3rd line, and depth scoring is a big part of why Van is at the top of the league.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I think our Forward group is fine, the problem is we are undermaximixing their potential because we only have 1 D-pairing that can move the puck. The other 2 D-pairings are stay at home Dmen but provide little offensive pushback. This means that either Miller's line or Petterson's line is stuck playing with Myers-Zadorov trying to transition them the puck or sustain offence in the Ozone..

I'd love to get someone like Chychrun to anchor the 2nd line and provide more pop to our wingers.
Our defense transitions the puck just fine, moving the puck isn't a weakness at all.

If we plan on having Lindholm centre his own line we absolutely need to upgrade the wings.

Boeser and Hogz are the only ones producing at a top six level.
Let's assume once Joshua is healthy, he and Garland play with Lindholm. That should be fine but the top two lines both have a winger ( Suter and Mikheyev) not putting up any points.
The issue is compounded on EP's line because EP is the only real playmaker which essentially limits his ability to score which leads him to try to create it himself. Adding another bonafide guy like Guentzel who can score as well as dish would be massive.
In that scenario I'd put him with JT and Brock with EP. JT can mesh with anyone and I could see them thriving but perhaps far more important is Brock and EP have excellent chemistry and as we've seen EP can be a hard centre to find wingers for similar to McDavid and Crosby.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Our defense transitions the puck just fine, moving the puck isn't a weakness at all.

If we plan on having Lindholm centre his own line we absolutely need to upgrade the wings.

Boeser and Hogz are the only ones producing at a top six level.
Let's assume once Joshua is healthy, he and Garland play with Lindholm. That should be fine but the top two lines both have a winger ( Suter and Mikheyev) not putting up any points.
The issue is compounded on EP's line because EP is the only real playmaker which essentially limits his ability to score which leads him to try to create it himself. Adding another bonafide guy like Guentzel who can score as well as dish would be massive.
In that scenario I'd put him with JT and Brock with EP. JT can mesh with anyone and I could see them thriving but perhaps far more important is Brock and EP have excellent chemistry and as we've seen EP can be a hard centre to find wingers for similar to McDavid and Crosby.

I disagree about the Dcore. Z, Myers, Cole, Juuslen, Soucy ...these are all very similar players. Solid defensively but an absoloutel blackhole on offence.

If we played Hughes and Hronek seperately then sure its ok as each can anchor their D-pair. However since we play them together that leaves 2 Defensive pairings that provide very little offence. Were on our heels and defending most of the time because they just dont have the skilles to hold the blue line and maintain offence when the Canucks have the puck in the ozone.

If we really want to unleash our Forward group, then we need to give them another top 4 Dman that can provide offence.

Thats why Chychrun would be my number 1 target. It would also be insurance of God-forbid Hughes or Hronek go down.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
With all this smoke around Vancouver making moves, and the uncertainty around EP, I wonder if they're attempting to go "all-in" this season knowing they'll trade EP in the summer. And then they'll try to re-sign Lindholm and whoever else they trade for now

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks should be trying their best to get Martinook from Carolina. He's a Blake Coleman clone and would add a lot of grit to their lineup. Plus 23pts in 50 playoff games is pretty darn good for a top 9 winger who can move up or down the lineup.
"Top 9" you will be riddled by a ton of penalty kills if you expect Martinook to handle first line minutes well

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Did Rutherford and Dhaliwal have a falling out?

This is the type of thing typically reported by Dhaliwal (where the Canucks are concerned).
They may have, he and Donny were candidate about it today on the radio show and said the blame falls on Pettersson and that he is not so confident that he stays in Vancouver anymore.

Orrrrr he is doing the teams bidding.

Take your pick

Reactions: John Mandalorian

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Three way trade between Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver:

To Vancouver:
Martin Necas, CAR 2025 3rd

To Pittsburgh:
Lekkerimaki, 2025 1st, Van 2025 3rd

To Carolina
Jake Guentzel @50%, Hoglander
Wait what

Van gives us its 2025 first and third and Hoglander who is worth at least a first and Lekk who is a hood prospects and a first round pick so 3 first round picks and a second for Necas and a third and for this bounty Carolina who only gives up Necas and a third gets Guentzel @ 50% and Hoglander? Why doesn’t Vancouver cut Caroljna out of it and take hints best player ar 50% and keep Hogs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Dhaliwal’s source(s) isn’t Rutherford? It’s seemed obvious from the moment Rutherford arrived there.
But he has been careful to toe the line and does discuss things with the team jncludinf with Rutherford. They have had both Alvin and Jim on the show and I know when he is discussing something controversial he often sites having talked to the team.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Three way trade between Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver:

To Vancouver:
Martin Necas, CAR 2025 3rd

To Pittsburgh:
Lekkerimaki, 2025 1st, Van 2025 3rd

To Carolina
Jake Guentzel @50%, Hoglander
Would much rather have Jake on the nucks
Mikheyev, Lekkerimakki, and a pick. Dubas loves Mikheyev and with Tochett splitting up the centres over 3 lines we 100% need a top end winger for Petey be that Brock sliding down and Jake with JT or Jake with Petey. Dubas and JR can go out to dinner tonight and get it done already
I will say that every time a tidbit about plans gets out moves have come in short order and with Vegas sniffing around him, it would really suck if they got him tho not sure they can beat the 10th ranked drafted prospect. If Mikheyev is off the books after clearing Kuzmenko that basically is Jakes extension and still leaves us with 43 million for the rest of the team, EP, Hronek, Lindholm likely would take 28 of that but then the cap is supposed to jump significantly again after next season as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would much rather have Jake on the nucks
Mikheyev, Lekkerimakki, and a pick. Dubas loves Mikheyev and with Tochett splitting up the centres over 3 lines we 100% need a top end winger for Petey be that Brock sliding down and Jake with JT or Jake with Petey. Dubas and JR can go out to dinner tonight and get it done already
I will say that every time a tidbit about plans gets out moves have come in short order and with Vegas sniffing around him, it would really suck if they got him tho not sure they can beat the 10th ranked drafted prospect. If Mikheyev is off the books after clearing Kuzmenko that basically is Jakes extension and still leaves us with 43 million for the rest of the team, EP, Hronek, Lindholm likely would take 28 of that but then the cap is supposed to jump significantly again after next season as well.
Mik, Lekkerimaki, and a 2025 1st, I would probably do for Jake @ 50% but the entire thread is centered around the Canucks not wanting a rental.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Mik, Lekkerimaki, and a 2025 1st, I would probably do for Jake @ 50% but the entire thread is centered around the Canucks not wanting a rental.

I'd sooner move D Petey than Lekkerimaki. At least that leaves them with Willander. Moving Lekk leaves them with zero blue chip forward prospects.

Would you guys be interested in Toffoli if he was willing to resign with you?

Absolutely, but not at the price I'm sure you would be looking for.

I could see something like Podkolzin and a 2nd. Pettersson loved playing with him

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I'd sooner move D Petey than Lekkerimaki. At least that leaves them with Willander. Moving Lekk leaves them with zero blue chip forward prospects.

Absolutely, but not at the price I'm sure you would be looking for.

I could see something like Podkolzin and a 2nd. Pettersson loved playing with him
Tbh I don't expect much for Toffoli. 2nd and Podkolzin I would do no problem. Hopefully our GMs get this memo lol

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
I think it could be Marcus Pettersson from Pens or Laughton and/or Ristolainen from Flyers.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Tkachuk if Whitneys word is worth a damn.
Chychrun.
Buchnevich.
Crouse.
Schmaltz.
Toffoli with an extention.
Guentzel with an extention.
Hanafin with an extention.
Necas (as RFA).

There are alleged good options out there.

Reactions: oceanchild

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Chychrun.
Buchnevich.
Crouse.
Schmaltz.
Necas (as RFA).

I’d add Andersson and Parayko.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Chychrun.
Buchnevich.
Crouse.
Schmaltz.
Necas (as RFA).

Should push hard for a rouse.

Could really use him in Top 6.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Canucks pulling a Vegas.

Myers scratched with mystery injury.

He didn’t get hurt against l.a

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad