Friedman: Canucks looking to make a (Not Small) Non UFA Deal

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Listening to it, sounds like Lindholm is the one management views as the rental.
I wonder he has communicated that he doesn’t want to re-sign it his contract demands are higher then they are willing to go. Tocchet sure seems to like him and they were open about wanting to re-sign him when the trade happened.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder he has communicated that he doesn’t want to re-sign it his contract demands are higher then they are willing to go. Tocchet sure seems to like him and they were open about wanting to re-sign him when the trade happened.

The way Friedman phrased it, they don't want to give up any other future assets unless it's for a player with term or someone they know they can sign. I liken the second part to Bo Horvat where the Islanders pretty much already had a deal in place at the time of the trade but just needed to work out some of the other details. This doesn't mean Lindholm can't be re-signed only that they didn't acquire him with a deal already pretty much in-place. So they are prepared to let Lindholm walk.

Reactions: oceanchild

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Friedman, he says he has heard that the Canucks are willing to make more impactful "big trades" but they wont targets any rentals. It will have to be for a player they feel can be part of the core and is under contract with term, or a player that is on an expiring contract but is willing to extend before the trade is finalized.

Canucks didnt really give up much for Lindholm so they still have their top assets if they wanted to go big. If you think about it, the 2025 1st round pick is more valuable than the 2024 because there's no gurantee the Canucks will be as good next year as they are this year.

Thoughts? who might they be targeting? Buchnevich? Necas? Chychrun?

Top Assets:

1. 2025 1st round pick,
2. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
3. Tom Willander
4. Vasily Podkolzin
5. Elias Pettersson -defence
6.Arshdeep Bains
7.Aatu Raty
8. 2025 2nd round pick

Thyeve got players like Myers or Mikhayev that they can move out to make the cap space fit if needed.

Reactions: Blueston

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Personally rather have the "big trade" around a Top 6 forward rather than a dman.

Don't see potential dman options that would make sense for a big trade. Depth piece makes more sense.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Personally rather have the "big trade" around a Top 6 forward rather than a dman.

Don't see potential dman options that would make sense for a big trade. Depth piece makes more sense.

I think our Forward group is fine, the problem is we are undermaximixing their potential because we only have 1 D-pairing that can move the puck. The other 2 D-pairings are stay at home Dmen but provide little offensive pushback. This means that either Miller's line or Petterson's line is stuck playing with Myers-Zadorov trying to transition them the puck or sustain offence in the Ozone..

I'd love to get someone like Chychrun to anchor the 2nd line and provide more pop to our wingers.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Did Rutherford and Dhaliwal have a falling out?

This is the type of thing typically reported by Dhaliwal (where the Canucks are concerned).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Three way trade between Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver:

To Vancouver:
Martin Necas, CAR 2025 3rd

To Pittsburgh:
Lekkerimaki, 2025 1st, Van 2025 3rd

To Carolina
Jake Guentzel @50%, Hoglander

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Rather the Canucks target improvements on defense, namely a player who can carry a second pairing. Canucks currently operate with one first pairing and two third pairings.

Reactions: oceanchild

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Three way trade between Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver:

To Vancouver:
Martin Necas, CAR 2025 3rd

To Pittsburgh:
Lekkerimaki, 2025 1st, Van 2025 3rd

To Carolina
Jake Guentzel @50%, Hoglander

Thats waay too rich for Vancouver.

Hoglander probably has 1st round value, based on his production, age and controlled contract.

So essentially the Canucks are giving up 3x 1st round pick for Necas and 3rd.

No thank you.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Thats waay too rich for Vancouver.

Hoglander probably has 1st round value, based on his production, age and controlled contract.

So essentially the Canucks are giving up 3x 1st round pick for Necas and 3rd.

No thank you.

I don’t know if Hoglander has first round value, but I wouldn’t even give up Lekkerimaki and a 1st for Necas

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Canucks should be trying their best to get Martinook from Carolina. He's a Blake Coleman clone and would add a lot of grit to their lineup. Plus 23pts in 50 playoff games is pretty darn good for a top 9 winger who can move up or down the lineup.

• Haha
Reactions: Inno

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Canucks should be trying their best to get Martinook from Carolina. He's a Blake Coleman clone and would add a lot of grit to their lineup. Plus 23pts in 50 playoff games is pretty darn good for a top 9 winger who can move up or down the lineup.

Why would Carolina give him up? They’re trying to win a cup.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don’t know if Hoglander has first round value, but I wouldn’t even give up Lekkerimaki and a 1st for Necas

Hoglander 100 percent returns a 1st round pick if he was made available.

- high end 5 on 5 scoring , top 12 i think in the league
- Team controlled 1.1mil contract next year
- 23 yrs old
- potential to be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Friedman and Dhaliwal typically have a very big overlap in what they say. They either have the exact same sources, or they use each other as sources.

Dhaliwal’s source(s) isn’t Rutherford? It’s seemed obvious from the moment Rutherford arrived there.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Lol at the title of this thread.

How did the meaning get so lost over the years?

Attachments

• 1000003254.jpg
    1000003254.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 5

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Dhaliwal’s source(s) isn’t Rutherford? It’s seemed obvious from the moment Rutherford arrived there.
No, it obviously isn't Rutherford. The whole Mikheyev injury story last year seemed to be the last gasp of leaks and that may have cost someone their job. Before that it seems pretty clear that one of their former AGMs had a very cozy media relationship (look at how many in the media mourned his departure...)

Pretty sure anything Canucks related these days (whether it is Dhaliwal, Friedman, or Seravalli) is like this:

Canucks front office has a chat with another team

Person from that other team talks to an agent

That agent talks to one of those media guys

The media guy talks to the other media guy, who talks to his other agent/management/friend

Taj or one of those Canuck-fandom clickbaity-accounts reacts to it on Twitter

@UrbanImpact posts it on HF

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hoglander 100 percent returns a 1st round pick if he was made available.

- high end 5 on 5 scoring , top 12 i think in the league
- Team controlled 1.1mil contract next year
- 23 yrs old
- potential to be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer

I think it really depends on how a team acquiring him views him. I love Hoglander, but he’s also shooting a crazy high percentage and he seems to play better in the bottom 6 where he can be the guy on his line. He’s also never looked good on the PP. I think the jury is still out on whether he can be a top 6 player consistently and if he’s not, he won’t be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer.

Reactions: 12ozPapa

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
No, it obviously isn't Rutherford. The whole Mikheyev injury story last year seemed to be the last gasp of leaks and that may have cost someone their job. Before that it seems pretty clear that one of their former AGMs had a very cozy media relationship (look at how many in the media mourned his departure...)

Pretty sure anything Canucks related these days (whether it is Dhaliwal, Friedman, or Seravalli) is like this:

Canucks front office has a chat with another team

Person from that other team talks to an agent

That agent talks to one of those media guys

The media guy talks to the other media guy, who talks to his other agent/management/friend

@UrbanImpact posts it on HF

The Bruce Boudreau reports seemed to be in lock step with sentiment Rutherford expressed during a press conference. There are other things like timing. If it’s one of the AGMs hired by Rutherford, they were likely there after reports started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad