Vancouver
:flyers
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

:nucks
Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

I know Horvat is the Canucks' captain, but I think a trade like this would be beneficial for both teams if Vancouver wants a big shake up.

Horvat deserves a better system to play in where I think he can thrive with Couturier taking the majority of the tough matchups.

Scott Laughton is a two way force who plays a gritty game. Phillipe Myers provides Vancouver a long term RH shot partner for Quinn Hughes (who can actually cover for him)

Basically, Vancouver gets better defensively while the Flyers get a power forward who can raise his game in the playoffs.

While we could use both players, we can use Horvat a lot more.

Plus, we'd still be looking for a U25 top 9 forward.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
While we could use both players, we can use Horvat a lot more.

Plus, we'd still be looking for a U25 top 9 forward.
To be honest, Horvat impresses me in the playoffs, but I think the Canucks need defensively capable players more than they need him.

He's a power forward who has never been the best defensively. Definitely offensively minded. You need a guy like Laughton much more behind a player like EP than you need Horvat, and I think Laughton has 50~ point capability.

Plus, you get who I think is the perfect long term partner for Hughes.

The Canucks save some salary and give the team a big shake up.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
To be honest, Horvat impresses me in the playoffs, but I think the Canucks need defensively capable players more than they need him.

He's a power forward who has never been the best defensively. Definitely offensively minded. You need a guy like Laughton much more behind a player like EP than you need Horvat, and I think Laughton has 50~ point capability.

What we need is defensive players in addition to our top six, which isn't the problem, instead of players that are just warm bodies, like Roussel, Virtanen or Eriksson, or players proving ineffective at carrying said players, like Gaudette and Sutter. As I said, we can definitely use Laughton, but not at the expense of Horvat, as we still have Gaudette and Beagle in our bottom six, and even all three combined wouldn't match Horvat's offensive contribution.

I'm not thrilled with Myers either, as a potential return for Horvat. Top four RHD aren't easy to find, or cheap, but we have Tyler Myers as one, as much as we dislike the contract, and Chatfield and Woo who could develop into more of a second pairing kind of D if the stars align, and Schmidt and Tryamkin who are LHD, but play right side. We definitely need someone like Philippe Myers, but moving our 2C for a defensive (UFA) 3C and a D is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

I know Horvat is the Canucks' captain, but I think a trade like this would be beneficial for both teams if Vancouver wants a big shake up.

Horvat deserves a better system to play in where I think he can thrive with Couturier taking the majority of the tough matchups.

Scott Laughton is a two way force who plays a gritty game. Phillipe Myers provides Vancouver a long term RH shot partner for Quinn Hughes (who can actually cover for him)

Basically, Vancouver gets better defensively while the Flyers get a power forward who can raise his game in the playoffs.

Can't see why the Canucks would go for that.

If they're selling Horvat I think they could do better. I also can't imagine they make a move like that before firing Benning.

They also seem like a team who should be retooling rather than moving major pieces while at the same time trying to find a defenseman a team won't be able to protect from Seattle rather than paying a premium on a Philip Myers type.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

There’s so much wrong with this. For beginners, we are not trading Horvat. Especially not for that joke of a package. What has Philippe Myers and Laughton done at the NHL level to warrant them being the main pieces in a trade for a player of Horvat’s caliber?

Let’s put it in unequivocal terms. Would Flyers fans be okay in trading Couturier for Virtanen + Juolevi + 2nd round pick? Thought so.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

Thats really bad for Vancouver.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There’s so much wrong with this. For beginners, we are not trading Horvat. Especially not for that joke of a package. What has Philippe Myers and Laughton done at the NHL level to warrant them being the main pieces in a trade for a player of Horvat’s caliber?

Let’s put it in unequivocal terms. Would Flyers fans be okay in trading Couturier for Virtanen + Juolevi + 2nd round pick? Thought so.
False equivalence but point somewhat stands.

We could use Laughton and a 2nd badly.

Just not for Bo Horvat.

Reactions: ratbid

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

Yeah Nah. We want to get better not worse.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
W/Kravtsov later this yr and Barron likely next season,
Strome - 2nd
Buchnevich - mid 1st or late 1st +

are available
no prob insulating lottery protect

what do you offer?

Also, someone above said you need better D.
Rangers very happy w/Lindgren, but if paid enough have emerging guys who are not ready but need mins

What about
Buch, Lindgren, NYR 2022 3rd + NYR 2023 2nd
for
former 10OA Vasily Podkolzin + VAN 2022 2nd + VAN 2023 1st and acceptable expiring cap dump?

these are younger build guys not old vet rentals you're adding

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So the 29th best team is looking to buy????

Thats some advanced leadership we have in Vancity

Reactions: Peen

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

We're not trading our 25 year old #2 C captain for an older player with a career high 32 points. At 26-27 you don't become significantly better than any of your previous 7 NHL seasons. Sure Myers would be a good add, but for Horvat - really?????

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Anthoy better be 4x the player Anthony is.

Mantha is the most bipolar hockey player I think I have ever watched.

At times he looks dominant, like Top 30 forward in the NHL dominant, where he puts up a ton of points over a span of a couple weeks.

Then at times he looks like one of the laziest, least motivated NHL players I have ever seen.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
So instead of making use of Virtanens higher value last off-season to trade him with Sutter or someone like Beagle to free up capspace for Toffoli, thereby freeing up Hoglander for the third line, he's going to make another dumb move now?
Yea pretty much. I was really hoping they would package Virtanen up with Beagle or Roussel and keep Sutter over the summer since Virtanen at 20 goals had to have somewhat value, buuuuuut didn't happen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Scott Laughton
Phillipe Myers
2nd round pick.

Bo Horvat
Rights to Tryamkin

This makes no sense at all.

The Flyers have 2 RHD....Myers and Braun. They are not trading a top 4 RHD signed cheap for 3 years when they only have Braun and his 1 year left after this one.

The Flyers have Couturier, Hayes, Patrick, Laughton and then Frost next year. They don't "need" a C.

What have they done? Let's educate you.

Myers has been a top 4 Dman since last year. Are 24 year old, 6'5, top 4 RHD, who are signed for 3 years, desirable?

Since start of 2019 season:
Horvat 93 games 69 pts...61 pt pace/82 games....48 at ES and 21 on the PP.....playing in the top 6
Laughton 62 games 36 pts....48 pt pace/82 games....all 48 at ES playing mostly 3rd line

So at ES, they have produced the same, Horvat plays the PP whereas Laughton does not. And this is not to say that Laughton is better, he isn't. But it's simply to show INFO that maybe you and others didn't know about Laughton as he gets lost behind all the bigger named players in Philly.

The deal itself makes no sense based on need as I mentioned in responding to the 1st post. But at least you now know who these guys are and what they have been doing in the NHL the last 2 years.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
You can have Anthoy Mantha for the low cost of Adam Gaudette, Podkolzin and a 2022 first round pick!
For as good of a trade as this would be for the Wings, I would want this trade to happen more to just see the meltdown Nucks fans would have. I would feel bad in the best way.

Mantha is the most bipolar hockey player I think I have ever watched.

At times he looks dominant, like Top 30 forward in the NHL dominant, where he puts up a ton of points over a span of a couple weeks.

Then at times he looks like one of the laziest, least motivated NHL players I have ever seen.
And I'm sure going to Vancouver of all places would fix his motivation issues...

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
there have been rumors that dylan STrome was available this off season. he is in concussion protocal now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Since start of 2019 season:
Horvat 93 games 69 pts...61 pt pace/82 games....48 at ES and 21 on the PP.....playing in the top 6
Laughton 62 games 36 pts....48 pt pace/82 games....all 48 at ES playing mostly 3rd line

So at ES, they have produced the same, Horvat plays the PP whereas Laughton does not. And this is not to say that Laughton is better, he isn't. But it's simply to show INFO that maybe you and others didn't know about Laughton as he gets lost behind all the bigger named players in Philly.

Myers would be a good player but Horvat and Laughton aren't really comparable. Would like to point out here that talking about even strength while Horvat plays "top six" it's more of a high minute 3rd line center role simply because his linemates are not top six players. Using dobber sports line combo tool last season Horvat's most common linemates were Tanner Pearson and Loui Eriksson, with Jake Virtanen and Josh Leivo the most common subs for Eriksson.

Laughton's top 3 line combo's on the other hand were Farabee-Hayes-Laughton, Laughton-Pitlick-Van Riemsdyk, and Hayes-Konecny-Laughton
(not sure the actual positions, just listing how they have them).

Those are much better linemates than Horvat gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad