Rumor: Canucks in talks on Noah Hanifin, Dougie Hamilton and Damon Severson

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Severson is probably the most polarizing player on the team. On one hand, he has obvious offensive talent, is a great skater, and his possession metrics are exceptional even though he largely gets paired with awful partners. He's also still quite young (turns 24 this August).

On the other hand, he still makes a lot of boneheaded defensive plays. We were hoping he'd grow out of it but it's looking more unlikely. He also doesn't produce as many points as you would expect based on eye test + possession stats (though to be fairhe hasn't gotten much PP time lately).

Vatanen came in and is by far the superior player, kind of pushing him down the depth charts. He's a guy we aren't necessarily looking to deal because of our defensive situation, but he is expendable and would certainly be the most valuable expendable player we have.

This describes Derrick Pouliot to a tee.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Seems like Price is just looking to create some clicks and attention. Don't read that far into it.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Severson is the type of player that some GMs probably really like for some reason. It doesn't hurt that he's right handed and on a very good contract.

Severson and 17OA for 7OA and Vancouver's second rounder.

As a vocal critic of Severson, I'm all for trading him...but even I don't think that package is worth it.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
As a vocal critic of Severson, I'm all for trading him...but even I don't think that package is worth it.

If we could grab Wahlstrom, I'm all for it.

It sounds like Vancouver offered Carolina #7OA for Hanifin and Carolina refused. So maybe it convinced Benning that the pick is worth a lesser guy like Severson if he really likes him. We'll see.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Severson had a career high goals with 9 last year but it's his defensive zone defense messes it up for Jersey so for me a devils fan, trade Severson but it has to be the right deal not some stupid crap

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He doesn't know how to play defense, and frankly, he's not very good offensively for an "offensive defenseman."

Some Devils fans love him though and always point to his advanced stats.

In my opinion, the positives to his game don't outweigh the negatives right now. Hynes does not seem to be a fan either.

But, he is still young and on a decent contract that can turn into a bargain if he ever gets his game together.

Pretty much this, exactly.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Benning is really posturing that he's taking a forward eh. Someone must want to move up so bad.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
7th for Hamilton would be unreal for Vancouver.

7th for Hanifin meh..rather stay at 7.

7th for Severson... :laugh:

Hanifin for 7th probably includes a big + from Van.

There's no way Carolina is trading a 5OA from a better draft...who is probably a better defenseman than anybody in this draft not named Dahlin...who has progressed at a normal trajectory for a top D spec, for less than 3-4OA straight-up.

At 7OA, Canucks are adding a significant piece.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The other thing about Severson is that he made the team much more quickly than a lot of people expected and had a very good rookie year. Scotty Bowman saw him play and said this:

He also made the Hall trade possible from a Devils standpoint as everyone believed he made Larsson expendable. So again, some GMs who want a young cost controlled right handed defenseman now might convince themselves he still has a lot of upside.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If the Canucks want Hamilton the price starts at Boeser, which I know will upset Vancouver fans, but that's the price. lol @ thinking the 'Nucks could get Hamilton with the 7th pick. It's like lets draft a d-man at 7 and hopes he eventually develops into Hamilton, makes literally 0 sense for Calgary to do that.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If the Canucks want Hamilton the price starts at Boeser, which I know will upset Vancouver fans, but that's the price. lol @ thinking the 'Nucks could get Hamilton with the 7th pick. It's like lets draft a d-man at 7 and hopes he eventually develops into Hamilton, makes literally 0 sense for Calgary to do that.
I have no idea why you would trade Hamilton for 7th OA but suggesting Boeser is ***** terrible.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I hope we don't trade for any of them. Hanifin for 7th overall would be the easiest to stomach, but I still wouldn't like it. Severson would just be a mild upgrade on our glut of mediocre young defencemen in Hutton, Stecher, Pouliot, etc.

beoser

May 30, 2018

So, a player who was tracking to score 40+ goals in his rookie season is worth a defenceman who couldn’t help his team even make the playoffs? Sounds a bit overrated to me

53or8

Nov 20, 2016

Boeser???

Are you drunk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad