Rumor: Canucks going after Iginla

Status
Not open for further replies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 2m
I'm told the #canucks will be making a big push for Iginla tomorrow. Has good relationships with Linden & Benning.

Pretty much what has already been said, but it was just posted.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Maybe, but only 15 players scored more times than Iginla did last year. He's not good for 36, he's still elite for the NHL.

Age is just a number. They're world class players.

Sorry boys, I disagree. Age may be just a number for us weekend warriors, but age is something that very relevant to those who are 1st line players in the NHL.

Iginal and the Sedins may have been guys we had the pleasure of watching tearing the league up for so many many years, but they're just not those players any longer. Age catches up moreso in the legs than it does in the their ability to think the game. I still think they can think it at a very high level, but I don't believe their legs allow them to play it any longer. I believe they were all elite, but I believe that elite status is relative to how they can 'leg it out'. I just don't think they can, over a full season and a full playoff run.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Sorry boys, I disagree. Age may be just a number for us weekend warriors, but age is something that very relevant to those who are 1st line players in the NHL.

Iginal and the Sedins may have been guys we had the pleasure of watching tearing the league up for so many many years, but they're just not those players any longer. Age catches up moreso in the legs than it does in the their ability to think the game. I still think they can think it at a very high level, but I don't believe their legs allow them to play it any longer. I believe they were all elite, but I believe that elite status is relative to how they can 'leg it out'. I just don't think they can, over a full season and a full playoff run.

Iginla is coming off a 30 goal season. If he's on decline, then the whole Canucks roster is in danger.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What if we tank, but not hard enough to get McDavid? :help: (Not to mention the fact that most merchandising revenues are distributed league wide anyway: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1033593)

Reality: the Canucks have said, repeatedly, that they are not going to tank. No matter how much anyone here might wish it, they have no intention of being a cap floor team and playing the kids and intentionally being a worse team than they otherwise could be so as to have a shot at McDavid. There are plenty of successful franchises who are consistently dangerous, year after year, and seem like they never have to tank. (Detroit picked 15th this year... it was the highest pick they've had in *years* apparently). The Aquas want to be one of *those* franchises, and not be the Oilers.

Obviously McDavid is no guarantee. But I don't really have faith in our management to become a "Detroit". No guarantee there either. Detroit is the only Detroit in the league.

This team desperately needs young talent that can anchor a 1st line. There are no future 1st line players in the organization.They did not address that this draft. Next draft there is an abundance of elite prospects. Getting in the lottery zone and having a chance at one of McDavid, Eichel, Barzal, Konecny, etc would be a massive boon to the organization.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
If Iginla comes here, can we give him the #17 and the C? :sarcasm:

I would love to see him beat the crap out of Kesler wearing that jersey. better yet, JUICE! now that would be a beat down.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Part of me suspects that they may just offer Iginla a ridiculous Sundin-like contract.

Canucks in their current state need to overpay for a cup chaser like Iggy to sign here. I think a 2 year 14-15M contract might be on the table.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'd be fine with 2 years for Iginla and 2 years for Miller, even at a 6 million cap hit for both, just don't want anything longer than that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'm in favour of this move, if only to upset Flames fans.

Also a Sedin-Sedin-Iginla would be pretty neat.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
If Iginla comes here, can we give him the #17 and the C? :sarcasm:

I would love to see him beat the crap out of Kesler wearing that jersey. better yet, JUICE! now that would be a beat down.

Awkwardly Iginla wears 12 and the Canucks retired that #... (Smyl).... Maybe Smyl will let him wear it?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
if benning and linden are going to make a big free agent splash to impress season ticket holders, i'd rather they sign iginla than any of the other available options

he actually makes a bit of sense within the canuck lineup (riding shotgun with the sedins), is coming off a very productive year, adds meat and potatoes, and likely won't be looking for a long term contract

since he makes the most sense from a marketing perspective, i'm guessing the canucks get played by iginla's agent to drive up his price when he signs with an actual stanley cup contender...he's basically in the ray bourque stage where he's so well liked around the league that everybody wants him to win a cup, and he's a long way from one in vancouver

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

There was nothing subjective about my statement - as of last year, Iginla was still in relatively elite company for scoring goals. It might be fair to say that he won't be able to sustain that for much longer, but to me that's a discussion about the term you offer, not whether he's worth signing.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Sign Iginla for 1 year then trade him back to Boston for their 1st rounder at the trading deadline (when they get cap space). GOLD

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@ctv_kelcey: 1/2: As I first reported the #Canucks will take a serious run at Jarome Iginla today. As of Sunday VAN was convinced they had a legit shot.

@ctv_kelcey: 2/2: I've also learned the Iginla targeting process began several weeks ago w/ ownership leading charge. Let's see what happens. #Canucks

Since when did this guy get any info..

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Iginla's probably not the best value forward out there (I'd prefer trying to snag two of Moulson/Jokinen/Vrbata/Cammalleri/maybe Grabovski/heck even Ehrhoff), but he'd be okay.

I just hope Benning and Linden know what they're doing — worst case is that Iginla's just stringing us along, we fall behind on wooing some of the other marquee forwards, and we end up with no one but Ryan Miller.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Iginla's probably not the best value forward out there (I'd prefer trying to snag two of Moulson/Jokinen/Vrbata/Cammalleri/maybe Grabovski), but he'd be okay.

I just hope Benning and Linden know what they're doing — worst case is that Iginla's just stringing us along, we fall behind on wooing some of the other marquee forwards, and we end up with no one but Ryan Miller.

best case scenario: miller is just stringing us along because he likes fresh sushi and we end up with no one, period.

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
@ctv_kelcey: 1/2: As I first reported the #Canucks will take a serious run at Jarome Iginla today. As of Sunday VAN was convinced they had a legit shot.

@ctv_kelcey: 2/2: I've also learned the Iginla targeting process began several weeks ago w/ ownership leading charge. Let's see what happens. #Canucks

The bolded part worries me the most... Mother*****er you've thought ownership would of learned after the hiring of Torts... If they keep on sticking their nose in hockey affairs I'm boycotting them.

I hope this team does not become NYI with Wang influence on them or the NHL version of the Dallas Cowboys,

Last edited:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

#Linden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad