Canucks Extend Jim Benning's Contract II

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Obviously counting people who 'liked' the Canuck picks, but didnt make any picks..lol

That matters. It's right after the draft. That's not hindsight.

Imagine if a poster only posted a day after the draft to say that he likes the pick. Is that hindsight? Boeser would not have played a single game to skew information. Give your head a shake.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
This whole discussion is just such a massive red herring of a waste of time and attempted distraction.

Like, a huge argument over whether fans on a message board who haven't even watched most of the players play have been able to out-draft an NHL club with an annual scouting budget in the $millions. That this discussion is even being had is about as damning as it gets and what the results of it are are completely pointless.

It's basically just a way for Benning supporters who have no cohesive arguments about how he's actually doing a good job in any meaningful way to try and divert discussion away from that to this to claim a 'win'.

Right. I can beat hf boards picks with Bob's list and a random number generator. That doesn't mean I am qualified to be a GM. What reidculously standards to judge a GM. It's like a stock broker that has done very poorly compared to his peers but, gets compared to how some random folks on the internet buy and sell stocks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Nick Merkley had more votes then Boser, also if you can , I already tried myself pull up mock drafts if possible. I never trust the so you think you can draft editions anyways, and even going by that, Boeser had like 20% of the votes anyways so he was not hfboard, he was number 3, and thats just the again so you think you can draft edition.

Barbashev and McCann is a wash. lets be fair, I personally like his game more then Barbashev yes he has a cup but I prefer McCann, that being said that should be wash.

Jake Virtanen was quite popular.

Nylander finished with almost half the vote: 2014 Mock Draft by Team Board Vote

Barbashev and McCann are both bolded in my initial post = tie. Already accounted for.

On Boeser: Poster racerjoe just did a count, Boeser leads in the link I posted.

That said, I do understand your argument about the split among the voting and the short sample. Currently looking at more draft threads to get a better read.

Anything else?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nope...

HF Canucks:

2014: Nylander, Barbashev
2015: Merkley
2016: Tkachuk
2017: Mittlestadt
2018: Hughes
2019: Boldy

The posters who ,post-draft 'liked' the Canucks selections could have liked 3 or 4 players around that selection.....

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For fun and since it was only 2 pages of posts, I counted the actual votes including people who voted for two players. These are the results.

Roy - 1
Boeser - 9
Konecny - 6
Merkley - 7
Sprong - 1
Beauvillier -2
Larsson - 1

So it actually looks like the board preferred Boeser, although I would like to see the pre-draft poll instead.

So just to clarify based upon this post:

Boeser wins the vote in pure numbers. If you were to parse the data to remove posters who supported the pick a day after it was made, or to eliminate double selections, you get what POM just posted.

HF, you decide.

(I'm still going to keep tabulating)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So..1)..we've included posters who have made multiple player selections as a Boeser vote....and 2) also included posters who (post-draft) liked the picks (they could have liked 3 or 4 players around where the Canucks drafted) as Boeser vote.

That is some fancy goalpost moving .

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The same as when everybody wanted Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi,but were ok with the Pettersson pick....

Where are your draft selections posted? I'm curious. We have the You Think You Can Draft thread every year for a reason, and I don't think everyone was picking Vilardi AND Glass AND Pettersson since that isn't the point of the game.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What’s the endgame here? To prove that the Canucks slightly outperformed HF Canucks. They still got dunked on by the potato ffs. It should be obvious that the Canucks have not been able to demonstrate any real drafting skill when a message board and the potato can provide comparable results.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What’s the endgame here? To prove that the Canucks slightly outperformed HF Canucks. They still got dunked on by the potato ffs. It should be obvious that the Canucks have not been able to demonstrate any real drafting skill when a message board and the potato can provide comparable results.

NOTE: No one is touching the Potato comparison.

The endgame, at least for me, is to ground the discussion in some facts. I've already done this. To my surprise, HF actually comes out slightly ahead of Benning even with the Mittlestadt/Pettersson miss. So I don't see where the Canucks even slightly outperformed HF... I think it's the other way around.

The same as when everybody wanted Cody Glass and Gabe Vilardi,but were ok with the Pettersson pick....

"Everybody"?

Let's suppose that your premise here is accurate, does that disparage HF or actually promote it? Meaning, how is being OK with the Pettersson pick right after it is made a black mark on HF?

This is hilarious.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How the hell does it have any difference whether a person picked Boeser one day before the draft compared to one day after it.

Because there are posters who, once the Canucks go in a certain direction, they start liking it and defend it beyond death.

We could have drafted Mitten's littermate and there would be some posters who are "Wow, I really like this pick. BCA!"

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Again, it's hilariously transparent why the conversation has devolved into a Benning vs HFboards at the draft.

@Pastor Of Muppetz

You've gone on at end that making the playoffs this season vindicates Jim. I don't care about media, online, I'm talking about you....how can you reconcile that belief in the face of denigrating Brad Treliving for making the playoffs in 15 and missing in 16? Again, I don't care if he's been extended by the owner, I'm wondering how you can look at two similar situations and have two completely opposing opinions.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

It’s more than just the misses at the draft. It’s the lack of getting extra picks so those misses are compensated for by volume. And it’s the trades. This is the worst area.
Seriously, how and why did Aquilini extend JB?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So just to clarify based upon this post:

Boeser wins the vote in pure numbers. If you were to parse the data to remove posters who supported the pick a day after it was made, or to eliminate double selections, you get what POM just posted.

HF, you decide.

(I'm still going to keep tabulating)

Its the what makes this tough, we are getting day old data. What I do think it proves is that there is a difference between picking Boeser and Joulevi. Sometimes it may not have been the guy you wanted, but at least you get the pick and are ok with it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's an absolutely ridiculous track to attempt to divert discussion down.

We as fans are dealing with extremely incomplete information. Like, on Petterssson - as I said repeatedly before and after Pettersson was picked, he seemed like a good selection on paper but I couldn't really sit here and take a strong stance on him because I hadn't really seen him play (once in the WJCs that I couldn't remember) and wasn't overly familiar with the league he was playing in as a basis for comparison. So my likes/dislikes for that draft were more centered on guys I knew from leagues I knew like Glass and Vilardi. And we as fans also didn't know - as it seems like teams did - that Vilardi's back might be an issue going down the road.

And despite this inequality of access to information, fan drafting and Benning drafting is still basically similar. And far worse than the potato. Because drafting is mostly luck and draft position.

To act like the Benning supporters have 'got one over' on us because their $millions in scouting resources got a better look at Pettersson is just a joke. Fan drafting is *always* centered around guys in the CHL or who got big looks at the WJC/U18s just because of what people are able to actually see.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So ..,using 'So you think you can draft' as your basis (which ROE is using for 2015)...Factoring in everybody who selected multiple players..and people who liked the the pick post draft...

HF Boards selected Elias Pettersson as their pick for 2017.....not Casey Mittlestadt....The beauty of hindsight.

So You Think You Can Draft 2017

HF Canucks:

2015: Boeser
2017: Pettersson

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Its the what makes this tough, we are getting day old data. What I do think it proves is that there is a difference between picking Boeser and Joulevi. Sometimes it may not have been the guy you wanted, but at least you get the pick and are ok with it.

I think being OK with a pick speaks to an understanding of the player. Meaning, a comment for support still shows knowledge. The fan isn't saying no. He or she isn't even saying that they don't know, or that they lack knowledge. Therefore, they are providing an informed decision.

Further, I think it shows an equality among selections. That they are interchangeable.

Last, the day old data is largely meaningless. The prospect hasn't had the chance to do anything to sway opinions in a significant sense. The choice should be validated for that reason alone.

Reactions: timw33

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Ok, I think we are getting hung up on draft > trades + signings, so I'm going to take away that crutch from the argument so you and Shirokov don't feel the need to provide a default answer:

In a rebuild, the draft is paramount. OK? Now that this is out of the way, my question is: What does it mean to a GM when we say the draft is paramount? What is his role or job?

Your answer will probably be something like "draft the best players to make the next core". OK, how does he do that? He does it by setting parameters for his head scout. He does it by accruing picks so as to give him the best odds. He does it by liquidating decent/good assets for futures, and he does it by weaponizing cap space. Meaning, the actual selection of the top player is a very minute part of a GM's job --> and it's likely not even him that does it.

So when I say trading + signings are more important than the draft, I'm actually talking about the GM's role ultimately affecting the draft. I'm talking about what he actually does. I'm also talking about what GMs have done to supplement their cores outside of the draft. Nil with Seguin, Wilson with Burns/Thornton, Treliving with Hamilton/Nilsson and so on...

From the GM's perspective, short of making the top pick himself, his role is very limited in the actual draft process.

--

What is not objective about the Potato?

Did Benning serve the draft with a pick deficit? Yes or no?

Missed opportunities accruing tradeable assets: Hamhuis. The key point here is that he has nothing to give up because he's so bad at contracts and trades.

Missed cap space opportunities: Marleau, and countless other instances.

I mean, if you are still unaware about what could have been done, but wasn't, I don't know what to tell you?

Is it your opinion that Benning made the picks himself? Ultimately, he gets credit and discredit for his hits and misses. However, what is his role in those hits and misses? If it is limited, and you acknowledge that it is, then please also point out where he actually has the ability to affect the most change? If it's trades and signings, then you will finally see why I'm saying that 2/3rds portion of his job is more important.

Ok, I think we are getting hung up on draft > trades + signings, so I'm going to take away that crutch from the argument so you and Shirokov don't feel the need to provide a default answer:

In a rebuild, the draft is paramount. OK? Now that this is out of the way, my question is: What does it mean to a GM when we say the draft is paramount? What is his role or job?

I honestly think the reality of this is pretty far removed than what you, me, or anyone could speculate. A professional sports team is a complex organization with lots of people making decisions and lots of moving parts. I dont think it's fair to praise or criticize Benning solely for the majority of the things he gets praised/criticized for. If I had to imagine, the things he's most individually responsible for are hirings and firings, and penning the paper on contracts. I would at the very least hope that there are a lot of people involved in the decisions of a pro sports org worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Benning probably has a larger say than most, and he's the one that actually does the final act and thus I suppose the final say on these matters, but I doubt he just trades players by himself without consulting anyone else in the organization. Most trades take weeks, if not months, to organize and negotiate. He's the one on the phone with other GMs negotiating and asking around, so I suppose I could imagine a lot of the responsibility being on him, but I think its not necessarily a good idea to attribute too much to one individual.

What is not objective about the Potato?

It draws from an incredibly, and I mean INCREDIBLY small sample size with a poor statistical selection. From what I saw on the website, it only draws results from 2014 onwards, and again, too much recency bias means that you do not have the entire careers of players to judge when using the potato. Many players did not reach their full potential (in fact, I'd say that very few do) or even make their mark on the league within 3 or 4 years of being drafted. The potato hasn't even been updated with the 2018-19 season. It also only judges draft picks by total TOI, which is a relatively one-dimensional evaluation for a player. I'd like to see it go much farther back in terms of sampling before I re-evaluate my opinion on it. It's sort of shocking to me that it's gained such an authority around here.

Did Benning serve the draft with a pick deficit? Yes or no?

Stop it. You're being incredibly rhetorically lazy with this. I offered my comprehensive take on this and you wont accept it because it isn't a simple yes or no answer, in a situation that has far more nuance attributed to it. I can only guess you're trying to "gotcha" me somehow, but I'm not humoring this any further. I've already given you my take. Take it or leave it.

Missed opportunities accruing tradeable assets: Hamhuis. The key point here is that he has nothing to give up because he's so bad at contracts and trades.

Agreed on Hamhuis being a missed opportunity - but in terms of tradeable assets? I'm a little confused at this. Shouldn't you be trying to accrue draft picks and young players/prospects in a rebuild, not more trade chips? Again, if we go with your point of logic that the GM should be using trades/signings to bolster his position in the draft - why are you adding extra pieces to the puzzle and trading for assets... to trade for picks instead of just trading that asset for picks in the first place?

Missed cap space opportunities: Marleau, and countless other instances.

If they're countless then you could probably offer more than one. In regards to Marleau - you have to admit that this is a far more grey move than the obvious "yeah we totally should have done it". The reason these cap dumps get serious assets is because they're an awful thing to have on your team. We would be in a pretty dire situation if we had Marleau on our books for the next season. I guess you could say that, well, we overpaid some players in the past and thats why we couldn't take him on, but I just don't think the timing was right. If we want to make the playoffs this year or next taking on a cap dump when we could spend that money on more useful players is a pretty poor choice. The time to do this sort of move was in 2015, and in that regard I agree with you, those moves should have been made in the past - but Marleau was probably not a good example given the circumstances.

Is it your opinion that Benning made the picks himself? Ultimately, he gets credit and discredit for his hits and misses. However, what is his role in those hits and misses? If it is limited, and you acknowledge that it is, then please also point out where he actually has the ability to affect the most change? If it's trades and signings, then you will finally see why I'm saying that 2/3rds portion of his job is more important.

Absolutely not. The process of scouting and drafting a player is a pretty complex process that takes place over a long period of time and with a lot of people contributing to that decision. I mean, we've seen videos of the Canucks drafting process and their draft table. It's pretty foolish to say that Benning has ever made these decisions single handedly, which begs the question as to why he ever shouldered the sole blame for Virtanen/Juolevi in the first place.

It is his job, however, to hire and fire people within that process, and to delegate additional responsibility to people that deserve it. In those regards, I think he's done a pretty good job in renovating our scouting infrastructure to a place where it was improved over the administration that preceded it. Again, this sort of rhetoric of "Benning bad" is not nearly nuanced enough given the reality of the situation.

A good example of a great move Benning made was in hiring Ian Clark to the goalie staff. This is something you can more or less trace back to him (and Linden, I suppose), was a move that was smart and pertinent with Demko coming up the pipeline, was likely a fairly difficult pry from Columbus given Bobrovsky's success, and has begun giving some tentative results with Markstrom. I think it's fair to give Benning credit for that, at least somewhat. I'm also a fan of Travis Green and I think Benning made a good decision to promote him. I'm a fan of a lot of the hires the team the administrative staff has made, and I think it's benefit the team in a pretty evident fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So ..,using 'So you think you can draft' as your basis (which ROE is using for 2015)...Factoring in everybody who selected multiple players..and people who liked the the pick post draft...

HF Boards selected Elias Pettersson as their pick for 2017.....not Casey Mittlestadt....The beauty of hindsight.

So You Think You Can Draft 2017

HF Canucks:

2015: Boeser
2017: Pettersson

Am I doing this right?

You are doing it right, finally. It's the truest representation of pick support here.

I actually knew about this before posting my links, but at that time, I did not include people who liked the pick post draft. It definitely skews it toward HF Canucks this way does it not?

So ok, if you want to exclude post-draft support, I will alter my continuing tabulation on the 2015 draft. Any other caveat you want to have? Say it now...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's an absolutely ridiculous track to attempt to divert discussion down.

We as fans are dealing with extremely incomplete information. Like, on Petterssson - as I said repeatedly before and after Pettersson was picked, he seemed like a good selection on paper but I couldn't really sit here and take a strong stance on him because I hadn't really seen him play (once in the WJCs that I couldn't remember) and wasn't overly familiar with the league he was playing in as a basis for comparison. So my likes/dislikes for that draft were more centered on guys I knew from leagues I knew like Glass and Vilardi. And we as fans also didn't know - as it seems like teams did - that Vilardi's back might be an issue going down the road.

And despite this inequality of access to information, fan drafting and Benning drafting is still basically similar. And far worse than the potato. Because drafting is mostly luck and draft position.

To act like the Benning supporters have 'got one over' on us because their $millions in scouting resources got a better look at Pettersson is just a joke. Fan drafting is *always* centered around guys in the CHL or who got big looks at the WJC/U18s just because of what people are able to actually see.

You make salient points here MS. It's a diversion discussion, but it's also one that feeds a narrative if not addressed.

Actually, really looking into this has helped. I wasn't sure on this, but I expected HF Canucks to be right there with Benning's selections. Turns out, HF may actually be ahead. This is even with all the limitations regular fans face in scouting.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh ffs this entire thread has become one big useless ad hominem attack. "Oh, you guys think Benning being extended is stupid?! Well, you're just a buncha dummies because your draft predictions have roughly similar success rates!"

Extending Benning is a stupid mistake, and no amount of draft threads from years ago can change it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad