Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Viktor Persson (7th Round, 191st Overall) (Brynäs junior team ---> Kamloops Blazers)

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Good news for me, I'll be taking the kids to a few Blazers games next season. Will definitely have my eye on Persson.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I notice that the Blazers' HC is a long time Medicine Hat coach. Have the Tigers developed any Dman of note in the past 10 years?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Tyler Lewington played 10 games for Washington and that's it.

I see David Quenneville go straight to the ECHL following a season where he put up 26 goals and 80 points in 70 WHL games. :eek:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I see David Quenneville go straight to the ECHL following a season where he put up 26 goals and 80 points in 70 WHL games. :eek:

I mean Q is/was a 5’8, nearly 200 pound defenseman that was great with the puck on his stick and not a whole heckuva lot else. His skating was nowhere near where it needed to be to be a legitimate prospect.

Persson is a completely different package as a 6’3 kid that can skate like the wind.

Definitely wouldn’t expect Persson to put up those type of numbers either but much better pro potential.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean Q is/was a 5’8, nearly 200 pound defenseman that was great with the puck on his stick and not a whole heckuva lot else. His skating was nowhere near where it needed to be to be a legitimate prospect.

Persson is a completely different package as a 6’3 kid that can skate like the wind.

Definitely wouldn’t expect Persson to put up those type of numbers either but much better pro potential.

I get that. I'm just expressing my concern that Persson will be playing for a coach with a poor track history of developing NHL defensemen. With that saiid, from a historical perspective, the Blazers have a better history of producing NHL defensemen than the Tigers.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I get that. I'm just expressing my concern that Persson will be playing for a coach with a poor track history of developing NHL defensemen. With that saiid, from a historical perspective, the Blazers have a better history of producing NHL defensemen than the Tigers.

I'm very confident in Darryl Sydor's ability to work with defenseman and if he moves on (which has been rumoured) and Cory Clouston takes over the D reigns (which is what is likely..) then Clouston's track record is very impressive:

Clouston coached Steve McCarthy, Aaron Rome, Roman Polak and Bryaden McNabb in Kootenay and then moved onto the Ottawa organization where he coached Erik Karlsson in his first two seasons. Then he went to Brandon where he worked with Ryan Pulock...after Brandon he had a two year stint in Prince Albert where he had Josh Morrisey.

I understand the point you are trying to make, I just happen to completely disagree with it. There is no chance Persson and his agent (nor the Canucks) would bring him to Kamloops as an overage defender if they weren't confident in the development and coaching he would be getting.

Not to mention if Kamloops is as good as expected he will get to play on a team where winning matters every night.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm very confident in Darryl Sydor's ability to work with defenseman and if he moves on (which has been rumoured) and Cory Clouston takes over the D reigns (which is what is likely..) then Clouston's track record is very impressive:

Clouston coached Steve McCarthy, Aaron Rome, Roman Polak and Bryaden McNabb in Kootenay and then moved onto the Ottawa organization where he coached Erik Karlsson in his first two seasons. Then he went to Brandon where he worked with Ryan Pulock...after Brandon he had a two year stint in Prince Albert where he had Josh Morrisey.

I understand the point you are trying to make, I just happen to completely disagree with it. There is no chance Persson and his agent (nor the Canucks) would bring him to Kamloops as an overage defender if they weren't confident in the development and coaching he would be getting.

Not to mention if Kamloops is as good as expected he will get to play on a team where winning matters every night.

Thanks for the information. I did not know that. :thumbu:

Reactions: Fedz

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm getting Alex Edler vibes from Persson......Edler was picked a bit earlier in the third round, but played in a beer league in Northern Sweden and nobody had ever heard of him.

He made his way to Kelowna, and benefitted from the blueline factory that is the Rockets. And the rest as they say, is history.

Persson will hone his skills in Kamloops, and depending on how far they go in the playoffs, might actually be available to the Abbotsford AHL team before the end of the season.

If he can make it as a 7th round draft pick, it would be a huge bonus.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Persson was an overager. That being said we will see how Jurmo does this season playing in the Sm-Liga for a decent team

Persson is only a little more than 5 months older but I don't think anybody should be surprised if Persson ends up being far better than Jurmo.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Man I tuned into a good game for Persson. Had 2 assists (probably should've had 3), 8 shots, and was +2 in the blazers win over Victoria tonight. He had 11 shots in his pervious 6 games played.

Persson is a powerful skater once he get moving, but he really needs to work on his first step(s). Another thing that stood out was his...let's say interesting decision making when passing the puck (had a few bad giveaways), but he still makes solid breakout passes most of the time. Persson really love to carry the puck, and attack the net at every opportunity.

Season stats - 7GP 1G 5A (1 PPA) 6PTS 19SOG 2PIMS +8

Reactions: Lindgren

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Victoria looked pretty bad team though 1-9 last 10
Kamloops is a top 5 team in the CHL. The amount of players who have been drafted or will be drafted is insane. I think they have like 7 players who are already drafted and 3 more who are going to be drafted in the next couple of years

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Kamloops is a top 5 team in the CHL. The amount of players who have been drafted or will be drafted is insane. I think they have like 7 players who are already drafted and 3 more who are going to be drafted in the next couple of years

Yup. Definitely a threat to win the WHL, and possibly the Memorial Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad